I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

ALPS seat O.D.
Posted by: Lynn Behler (---.97.252.156.res-cmts.leh.ptd.net)
Date: January 20, 2017 06:39PM

Would like to know the outside dia. of an ALPs Tex-touch casting seat at the butt end. (TX16) Anyone?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: ALPS seat O.D.
Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net)
Date: January 20, 2017 06:57PM

Have you asked Batson?

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: January 20, 2017 07:49PM

The same as all the other seats from Batson, AmTack, Fuji, Pacbay, etc. They all have to fit the standard cork and eva grips right?
The 17, and 18 mm casting seats are also the same OD as the 16. They'd lose business if they went off the reservation as far as size goes. My tape says a bit under 1 1/16".

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/20/2017 08:09PM by Spencer Phipps.

Date: January 21, 2017 02:58PM

Thanks for the responses guys. I have only used size 16 seats thus far, so what makes an 18 different from a 16?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/21/2017 03:02PM by Lynn Behler.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: January 21, 2017 03:21PM

Size -
Size 17 is larger than 16
Size 18 is larger than 17
Size 20 is larger than 18
Size 22 is larger than 20.

If I am using a conventional standard spinning reel seat; I much prefer the size of an 18 reel seat compared to a size 16. The larger size 18 is simply a better fit and much more comfortable in my hand - compared to a size 16 reel seat.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/21/2017 03:23PM by roger wilson.

Date: January 21, 2017 05:55PM

Roger, just to clarify, I was asking about casting seats. That said I agree with you, casting or spinning, a bigger size # on a reel seat means the seat is indeed larger in all dimensions. A size 16 nut won't fit a 17 seat.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: January 21, 2017 06:45PM

No, but the rear grip that fits a 16 whether it has a tenon or not has the same OD at the rear as the 17 mm seat. There may be some place where the reel seat has a larger diameter, but that rear ring area is the same. The steelhead rods I own and have built with 16 mm exposed blank reel seats use the same 14 inch rear grips as my salmon rods that have 17 or 18 mm exposed or non exposed casting reelseats, the 18 mm seat is needed on many because the reels many customers use have the larger saltwater length reel foot.

Posted by: Norman Miller (---.lightspeed.jcsnms.sbcglobal.net)
Date: January 21, 2017 06:51PM

Lynn, I do not have the ALP Tex-touch reel seat here, but the Fuji casting reel seats, both size 16 and 17 have the same ODs at the butt end which is 27 mm. The ID of the recess at the butt end are also the same 23 mm. Both the 16 and 17 seats will fit the same preformed casting grips. Since most casting reels seats are pretty standard and fit most preformed grips, I would think the dimensions of the Fuji and ALP grips are the same.
Norm

Date: January 21, 2017 07:18PM

O.K. Now we're getting somewhere. Thank you very much gentlemen.

Posted by: Tom Wewerka (---.bltmmd.fios.verizon.net)
Date: January 22, 2017 01:01PM

Lynn I have an Alps text touch 16 mm reel seat and I just measured it at the butt end. I measured 26.80 mm. Hope this helps

Tom

Date: January 22, 2017 05:30PM

Thanks for the info guys, I have a velvet smooth cork fly grip I'm cutting into split grips and wanted to see if I had enough dia. to work with that seat. ( and Norm I've bought my last hook keeper! Thanks to you.)

Posted by: Norman Miller (---.lightspeed.jcsnms.sbcglobal.net)
Date: January 22, 2017 05:32PM

Lynn, happy to hear the hook keeper worked out for you!
Norm

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster