I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Fuji Guides Question
Posted by: Mark Hedl (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: January 20, 2017 03:45PM

Hey everyone,
I generated a concept layout for a build I'm working on using the GPS from Anglersresource.net. The blank is a 7' MHX bass rod (MB843) and GPS gave me the following guide sizes:

16 Stripper
8 Reduction 1
5.5 Reduction 2

The software specs out 5 running guides and I'm wanting to use Gunsmoke finished guides with SiC inserts. So here's where I have some questions because it looks like my guide/tip choices are kind of limited given my choice of finish and insert material. I would have just gone with 5.0 runners and tip but Fuji seems to only offer Gunsmoke / SiC in either 4.5 or 5.5 ring sizes. I fish freshwater (bass/pike/walleye) and use FG knots for my leaders. I know FG knots are really small but I can't get the feeling out of my head that size 4.5 guides are just too tiny, especially when there's some algae growing.

Given all that, which approach would you guys take:

- use a size 6 for the second reduction guide and go with 5.5 runners/tip
- suck it up and go with the 4.5s

I'm new to rod building but I get really particular when I build stuff myself so I'm probably going to obsess over this build for a while before I mix any epoxy. I'm sure the question itself shows my rookie status but appreciate any input you guys care to offer.
Thanks,
-Mark

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Fuji Guides Question
Posted by: Norman Miller (---.lightspeed.jcsnms.sbcglobal.net)
Date: January 20, 2017 04:13PM

No, they also offer size 5 KB/KT guides in gunsmoke SIC.
[www.mudhole.com]
I use size 4.5 all the time on my bass spin rods absolutely no problem passing an FG knot. They work very well. I usually use five or six runners
Norm

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: January 20, 2017 04:56PM

Mark,
You could make it really easy for you and just go with size 6 runners and a size 6 tip. The rod will work great and you will have minimal problems with algae or knots.

Why make it hard on yourself by going so small with the guides?

There are many many fishermen who have no wish for - and will never purchase a rod with a guide that is smaller than a size 6.

There are also many fishermen who do the sort of fishing that - for them and their needs - simply wish to have the larger guide sizes.

For example, when I build ice rods for fishermen who fish in the open with no heat in subzero weather want guides no smaller than a size 8 and many of them want no guides smaller than a size 10 - simply because of the ice on the line issue that makes rods having smaller guides completely useless.

In your case, with the slime on the line issue - you have a somewhat similar issue.

We have similar issues at certain times of the year, with all of the fluff from the trees floating on the water that ends up on the line and will easily clog the guides that are too small to handle it.

Be safe

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/20/2017 05:00PM by roger wilson.

Date: January 20, 2017 04:59PM

Hi Norm, thanks for the response.

Good to hear your experience with the size 4.5s. I wasn't very clear in my first post, it was the tip top I couldn't find in size 5. That blank has a size 5 (2.0mm) tip and for whatever reason, it doesn't seem like Fuji offers that tube size in a 5.0 ring for their tip tops in gunsmoke / SiC. They have 4.5 and 5.5 but not 5.0 - go figure.

Just for clarity, are guide size and ID the same thing (in mm)? If so, I guess a half mm isn't going to make any real difference.
Thanks,
-Mark

Date: January 20, 2017 05:09PM

Thanks Roger,
Great advice thanks. I think I'm going to do the compromise and use the 5.5 runners and tip. @#$%&, if it does get clogged in summer, then I'll have an excuse to make another right?
Hehe, my wife is gonna end up hating this hobby too :)
-Mark

Date: January 20, 2017 05:23PM

The smaller guides give the rod a lighter and more responsive feel, and they cast like a dream. In my opinion, the KR micro guide spinning concept is a real performance enhancer. There are a number of people on this forum who consider a size 5 or 4.5 runner as gigantic! If you go with a larger runner, like a 6, you will lose the advantages of the KR concept. Before the KR concept guides came out I used size 6 runners on all my spin rods. Once I tried the KR concept, I have not used a size 6 runner again. I use sizes 4.5 and 4 runners on all of my bass rods, both spinning and casting, and never had an issue with knots or weed/scum. If you have not used them before, give them a try. If you do not like them it is easy enough to replace with a larger size. I'll even buy back your old runners!
Norm

Posted by: Bert Dluhy (---.nwrknj.fios.verizon.net)
Date: January 20, 2017 05:53PM

re: "are guide size and ID the same thing (in mm)? "
guide size is actually the approx. OD (in mm) of the ring . . . so guides labeled the same size but with different ring materials/thickness can have different IDs
read marketing material on Torzite for example
I know - doesn't seem as straight forward as guide size = ID since that is what matters, but it is what it is

Date: January 20, 2017 06:14PM

I must have been responding to you when you posted the above. Yes I know the problem, and I do not know why Fuji does that. If you need a size 5 ring you are forced to go another manufacturer, but most do not offer anything in gun smoke. SeaGuide does list tip tops with a 5 ring in a gun smoke color, but they are relatively new and hard to impossible to find in the US. If I were you I would go with the 4.5 runners and tiptop. I do not think you will be disappointed as I noted in the above post. But the choice is yours. Hope this helps.
Norm

Date: January 20, 2017 06:42PM

Bert, you are correct. A size 5 ring Torzite guide will have the same OD as a size 5 SIC, or alconite. Since the Torzite ring is thinner then either the SIC or Alconite ring it will have a larger ID for the same OD. So the type of ring material does make some difference.
Norm

Posted by: Lance Schreckenbach (---.sub-70-195-205.myvzw.com)
Date: January 20, 2017 07:23PM

Norman Miller Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> The smaller guides give the rod a lighter and more
> responsive feel, and they cast like a dream. In my
> opinion, the KR micro guide spinning concept is a
> real performance enhancer. There are a number of
> people on this forum who consider a size 5 or 4.5
> runner as gigantic! If you go with a larger
> runner, like a 6, you will lose the advantages of
> the KR concept. Before the KR concept guides came
> out I used size 6 runners on all my spin rods.
> Once I tried the KR concept, I have not used a
> size 6 runner again. I use sizes 4.5 and 4 runners
> on all of my bass rods, both spinning and casting,
> and never had an issue with knots or weed/scum. If
> you have not used them before, give them a try. If
> you do not like them it is easy enough to replace
> with a larger size. I'll even buy back your old
> runners!
> Norm

x2 I used to think the same way as RW. Try the micro guides to see if they work for you and if it not it will give you an excuse to build another rod. I also like 4.5 tip with 4 mm running guides. I would choke down to the running guide size by the third guide from the reel.

Posted by: Lynn Behler (---.97.252.156.res-cmts.leh.ptd.net)
Date: January 20, 2017 08:07PM

So, these little clumps of weeds that get caught in small ring guides, where do they end up if the guides are large enough to pass them?

Posted by: ben belote (---.zoominternet.net)
Date: January 21, 2017 09:00AM

lynn...bingo

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster