I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Fade Wraps
Posted by: Robert Hummel (---.lightspeed.dybhfl.sbcglobal.net)
Date: January 20, 2017 08:34AM

I am interested in doing a fade wrap but my problem is that I have not actually seen many rods that have a fade wrap. I have researched on line but haven't really found answers to some of the questions I have. So I figured why reinvent the wheel, hoping that with the wealth of knowledge available here I might have some of my questions answered.

How are fade wraps typically used? Are they used as a main feature instead of a tiger, marbling, cross wrap, etc. or are they used more as a trim feature to lead into/highlight these features?

How many colors are typically used? Is there any rule of thumb of minimum or maximum colors that produce the best look?

The same questions for length? Is there a typical length? is there length that looks best?

Can you use fade wraps as guide wraps? If so how do you deal with the fact that the guide wraps get shorter as you go toward the tip of the rod?

I appreciate any responses/advice that might be provided.

Bob

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Fade Wraps
Posted by: Chuck Mills (---.grenergy.com)
Date: January 20, 2017 08:52AM

Here's one I did on my wife's walleye rod [www.rodbuilding.org]

This one is only 2 colors. Doing a fade as a guide wrap might make you go nutty, although I have seen some salt rods with the wrap extending from the fore grip to the first guide.

I would suggest trying a fade wrap on a smooth wooden dowel or old piece of rod blank. Keep your hands clean and your thread tight. It actually looks okay to wrap 2, 3, 4 & 5 threads at once and it will save you time. Another trick is to get your diamond base wrap down and straightened, and then use a toothpick or bodkin to put a tiny dab of color preserver on each cross to lock it down.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/20/2017 08:54AM by Chuck Mills.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: January 20, 2017 10:20AM

The process entails dropping one color as you add another, in a progressive or regressive direction. Here's an example

5 dk blue
1 lt blue
4 dk blue
2 lt blue
3 dk blue
3 lt blue
2 dk blue
4 lt blue
1 dk blue
5 lt blue

This will produce a fade or shade from dark to light blue. Note that the combined number of threads in each "group" of dark and light colors always equals 6. Obviously, a more subtle effect is possible with more threads, while a sharper fade occurs when less are used. Also, size A produces a more subtle/gradual fade while size D is more distinct.

Posted by: Chuck Mills (---.grenergy.com)
Date: January 20, 2017 10:46AM

For lots of ideas just type "custom rod thread art fade wrap" into your internet search address bar

Posted by: Nick Lam (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: January 21, 2017 12:54PM

Fade wraps are decorative so you can put them anywhere you want. They are based off a ratio as Tom described. He lists a 5:1, 4:2, 3:3,... etc transition. You can also toggle your ratio for transitions :7:1, 5:3, 3:5... etc for a shorter, bolder fade. As usual, make your thread transitions on the blind side of the blank so they are clean. Good luck. Here is an example of a 10:1, 9:2, 8:3...etc fade. [goo.gl]

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster