I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Grip selection
Posted by: David Moody (---.dhcp.embarqhsd.net)
Date: January 19, 2017 04:45PM

I'm new to rod building and was wondering how to select the
right type and size of grip for various blanks.

Thanks,

Dave

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Grip selection
Posted by: Donald La Mar (---.lightspeed.lsvlky.sbcglobal.net)
Date: January 19, 2017 04:54PM

David

What type rod, fly or spin or bait cast, and what weight, length, etc.? Hard to help you without rod specifics.

Thing thing about grips is they are like shoes and gloves. If the grip does not fit the user's hand it is going to be an uncomfortable experience.

Date: January 19, 2017 05:04PM

Well I'd like to build a 5'6" UL spinning rod for trout.

Posted by: Mark Talmo (---.dsl.lsan03.sbcglobal.net)
Date: January 19, 2017 05:51PM

David,
Being old-school, I like cork especially for a trout rod. Mud Hole has a large selection of premade cork and foam, solid and split grips to avoid the need to stack and glue cork rings together. You will need to ream the inside of the grip to match the blank. Reamers are also available at Mud Hole or you can spiral wrap 3/8in wide strips of 80 grit on the blank itself. For your first attempt at rod building consider purchasing a complete rod building kit from them rather than frustrating yourself trying to get all the matching pieces individually.

Mark Talmo
FISHING IS NOT AN ESCAPE FROM LIFE BUT RATHER A DEEPER IMMERSION INTO IT!!! BUILDING YOUR OWN SIMPLY ENHANCES THE EXPERIENCE.

Posted by: Thomas Kaufmann (---.direcway.com)
Date: January 19, 2017 06:23PM

I much prefer carbon grips, for their weight, sensitivity, and unique looks

Tom

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: January 19, 2017 06:32PM

For a 5'6" ul trout rod, I would put a cork tennessee grip on the rod that is 8 inches long. II would make the grip a constant .8 inches in diameter

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: January 19, 2017 08:54PM

Keep in mind the grip size should conform to the hand, not the rod.

Date: January 19, 2017 10:34PM

Thanks for feedback, guys.

Posted by: Michael Danek (50.36.229.---)
Date: January 19, 2017 10:37PM

Best bet for a new builder would be to buy a kit, and I recommend longer than 5' 6" for longer casts and better hook sets. My experiences with the shorter ulta-lights were a series of frustrations with lost fish. My best experience with an ultralight is the 7 1/2 foot 2 wt fly blank build into a spin rod. But you cannot find that kind of kit.

[www.mudhole.com] 6' 6"

Better to start with a kit for someone with little or no experience and grow from there.

Mudhole has a lot of kits, check them out at Mudhole.com.

Keep in mind that my recommendation and all the others are opinions, not absolutes, and reflect our individual judgments and preferences based on our experiences.

Posted by: David Baylor (---.neo.res.rr.com)
Date: January 20, 2017 07:46AM

I'd have to agree with Michael on several points. 5'6" is pretty short and could limit you with some presentations. Of course, if casting room is limited 5'6" could be just the ticket.

Myself personally, and I've never used a rod with a Tennessee handle, but that's because of the way the reel is attached to the handle. If I want to detach the reel from the rod, I simply want to unscrew the reel seat nut and hood. As was said earlier, grip type, the material it's made of, and the size of it are pretty much open to what you like. For me personally I'd go with EVA foam as a grip material over cork. But again, as Michael mentioned, its a matter of personal preference.

And, while I understand the suggestions to start with a kit, it isn't the route I went when I started building. This web site, along with several of the links to the left as well as the library portion of the site have more than enough information for you to be able to put together everything you need. Kits, although some of them allow the buyer a few options, still limit you to certain items. I started building so I could choose the parts I wanted.

As you can see, the members of this site are very helpful, if you have questions about some of the things you may want to get or something about guide trains or reel seats or anything ........ they're going to help you out. The members here are some of the most unselfish people I have ever encountered on a web site. If you need help, they're going to help you.

I know they helped me a ton!

Date: January 20, 2017 11:55AM

The streams here in western Pa. are mostly narrow and brushy.
That's why I always have used a shorter rod, and I use spinners, not bait.

I actually want to design my own rod. I guess as a challenge to myself.
The kits are great, but I want learn how to select and build,
not just assemble

I appreciate all the feedback and will gather in all the info and ideas.

Thanks

Dave

Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---.res.bhn.net)
Date: January 20, 2017 12:51PM

To complicate matters, some people with large hands prefer small grips, while some people with small hands prefer large grips. Finding exactly what the user prefers (if, indeed, he knows?) and providing it is the main justification for having a custom rod built - and paying for it.

Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---.res.bhn.net)
Date: January 20, 2017 12:51PM

To complicate matters, some people with large hands prefer small grips, while some people with small hands prefer large grips. Finding exactly what the user prefers (if, indeed, he knows?) and providing it is the main justification for having a custom rod built - and paying for it.

Posted by: Dennis Danku (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: January 20, 2017 10:38PM

Boy , if you could get a hold of an Lew's SpeedStick Grip screw lock handle that hides the reel feet from one of their UL rods, that would be the ticket to a small stream rod. I think the whole handle was about 9" Model #LSH. One of the most comfortable handles ever made.

Dennis J. Danku
(Sayreville,NJ)

Date: January 21, 2017 01:18AM

I used to have a couple Lew's Speed Sticks.
Your right they were awesome grips. Probably the nicest rods I
ever fished with. Great idea. I'll look around.

Thanks

Dave

Posted by: Norman Miller (---.lightspeed.jcsnms.sbcglobal.net)
Date: January 21, 2017 11:51AM

Yes I agree those old Lew's LSH spin handles were great. Used up the last of my stash a few years back on several spin rods I made for a friend. Almost regret doing that. Wish they were still being made using modern materials; they would be awesome. Maybe some manufacturer will get the idea to reintroduce a lightweight modern version of them.
Norm

Posted by: Dennis Danku (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: January 21, 2017 06:21PM

Norm, I would like to see one of a 24"-28" model for surf rods.

Dennis J. Danku
(Sayreville,NJ)

Posted by: Mark Talmo (---.dsl.lsan03.sbcglobal.net)
Date: January 23, 2017 10:30PM

Good reply, David, especially,”The kits are great, but I want to learn how to select and build, not just assemble”. I am a newbie and have never considered a kit nor intend to. I enjoy over-thinking just about everything, which the members of this site are painfully aware of. While the kits certainly serve their purpose, they are obviously not for everyone. So, my hat is off to you and go-for-it!
I have no idea what you guys are talking about concerning the Lew’s LSH spin handle, but you certainly have my attention and interest. I would like to learn more, but a personal email might be more courteous to David and this post.

Mark Talmo
FISHING IS NOT AN ESCAPE FROM LIFE BUT RATHER A DEEPER IMMERSION INTO IT!!! BUILDING YOUR OWN SIMPLY ENHANCES THE EXPERIENCE.

Date: January 23, 2017 11:48PM

Thanks Mark.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster