I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

2nd Coat Wrap Prep Question
Posted by: Larry Berkovsky (12.252.36.---)
Date: January 18, 2017 02:38PM

Hey gents. I finished my first coat of epoxy on my latest casting rod before Christmas. Doesn't look too bad but there is some irregular spots that I just didn't spend enough time on. Due to travel and family commitments, I'm just now having time to due the next coat. Is the anything that I have to do to prep the first coat for a better bond or finish? I'm resisting the urge to just clean it up and go for it. Any thoughts?

PS. This board is great. I find something new to read everyday.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: 2nd Coat Wrap Prep Question
Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: January 18, 2017 02:44PM

Clean it up and go.

Do NOT use DNA or any sort of solvent on the thread finish. Rather, just use a lint free cloth or micro fiber cloth to insure that the wraps are clean and free of dust and you will be good to go.

Some folks advocate scuffing the finish a bit for better adhesion, but many folks will go a couple of months between coats and all remains well with the rod and its finish.

Up to you.

Good luck

Posted by: Chuck Mills (---.grenergy.com)
Date: January 18, 2017 03:00PM

I agree with Roger. You should be okay without doing anything but dust removal. I like to use blue painters tape to gently blot the wraps to remove dust. Before putting on the next coat you can slice off any thread nubs with a new razor blade.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/18/2017 03:00PM by Chuck Mills.

Posted by: Mark Talmo (---.dsl.lsan03.sbcglobal.net)
Date: January 18, 2017 11:49PM

Larry,
Acknowledgeably, there is a world of differences between the 1 to 1 epoxies used in rod building VS the 4 to 1 (approximately) structural epoxies used in the composite industry with which I am more familiar. Adhesion to itself MAY be one of those differences. A chemical bond between coats / layers / plies of a composite laminate will outperform a mechanical bond in every aspect, every time. In that I am referring to applying an additional “coat” of epoxy to the previous coat prior to it fully curing being vastly better than scoffing, let alone no surface prep, of the cured initial coat, the sooner, the better. What learned in the composite industry I carry over into my rod building. Although the consequences may be much more catastrophic in a race car or airplane, there is a lot more flex within a fishing rod. While obviously being a pain, consider scoffing before recoating, just to be safe.

Mark Talmo
FISHING IS NOT AN ESCAPE FROM LIFE BUT RATHER A DEEPER IMMERSION INTO IT!!! BUILDING YOUR OWN SIMPLY ENHANCES THE EXPERIENCE.

Posted by: Chuck Mills (---.grenergy.com)
Date: January 19, 2017 08:13AM

I haven't had any problems recoating a fairly fresh build. On older rods I always clean, then hit it with grey Scotchbrite.

Date: January 19, 2017 11:48AM

Perhaps ”scuff” would be more appropriate than “scoff”. Or is it “scough” or “scouf” or ???

Mark Talmo
FISHING IS NOT AN ESCAPE FROM LIFE BUT RATHER A DEEPER IMMERSION INTO IT!!! BUILDING YOUR OWN SIMPLY ENHANCES THE EXPERIENCE.

Posted by: Larry Berkovsky (12.252.36.---)
Date: January 19, 2017 01:06PM

Thanks for the feedback guys. I'm might just scoughff it up a bit. Or maybe naught, err knot.

Date: January 19, 2017 04:32PM

Touché, Larry!

Mark Talmo

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: January 19, 2017 06:46PM

Larry,
As Webster says - I will do my best not to "scoff" at any great advice!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster