I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

4 piece Fly rod alignment Marks ?
Posted by: Robert lee (---.dhcp.kgpt.tn.charter.com)
Date: January 16, 2017 09:40PM

I have Seen some unique alignment marks feather patterns in the ferrule thread wraps. I am going to be building a 4 piece rod and am looking some ideas on how this is accomplished. I am referring to a mark to line up on each piece. I am not wanting anything fancy just a way to line up the pieces.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: 4 piece Fly rod alignment Marks ?
Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net)
Date: January 16, 2017 09:50PM

I put a white dot on both sections (male and female) with a paint pen obtained from a hobby shop. Wouldn't sell a rod without them! Even have customers bringing their factory rods to me to put the dots on.

Posted by: Robert lee (---.dhcp.kgpt.tn.charter.com)
Date: January 16, 2017 10:06PM

I was looking at the local orris shop and it looked like paint or wax. Thanks for the quick reply I will venture to Michaels to find one .

Posted by: Norman Miller (---.lightspeed.jcsnms.sbcglobal.net)
Date: January 16, 2017 11:18PM

I add some pigment to finish epoxy, any color you want. Dip the head of a small brad in the pigmented epoxy and touch to the rod where you want the alignment dot. It is very durable, looks good and does not need to be over coated. You can use marbling pigment, or the pigment from Testors model enamel paint. Practice making the dots on an old blank or even a piece of paper so you get a feel for how to get the dot size you want. If you make a mistake wipe it off with DNA. A small bottle of the model enamel is cheaper than a pen.
Norm

Posted by: Michael Danek (50.36.229.---)
Date: January 17, 2017 08:21AM

For simple dots Decal Connection offers them . They do have to be overcoated and they transfer better on some surfaces than others.

Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---.res.bhn.net)
Date: January 17, 2017 10:24AM

I find the head of a common straight pin leaves a "dot" the right size. Just touch the head of the pin to the surface of the paint, and barely touch the painted pinhead to the surface of the blank. Don't try to adjust the size of the "dot" once you have applied it. Needless to say, the blank where the dot goes should be free of wax, polish, fingerprints, or anything else which would keep the paint from adhering.

Posted by: Herb Ladenheim (---.lightspeed.wepbfl.sbcglobal.net)
Date: January 17, 2017 11:43AM

I just line-up the guides
Herb

Posted by: Capt. Michael Harmon (---.mycingular.net)
Date: January 17, 2017 10:33PM

Lol...herb...I have to agree. I do the same thing. Put the rod together and sight down the blank. I'll put dots on blank if customer asks for them otherwise no dots.

Date: January 18, 2017 04:25PM

Some people even put the two largest sections of a four-piece rod together first?

Date: January 19, 2017 07:07PM

Phil, yes,what is your point?

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: January 19, 2017 09:48PM

Some folks find it easier to assemble the bottom two sections, then the top two, and then assemble those as you would a regular 2-piece rod. Go with whatever works for you.

Putting alignment dots on a multi-piece rod isn't absolutely necessary, but it's just one more added feature you can add to a custom rod that delivers at a rate that is greater than the cost and time to do it.

Date: January 22, 2017 03:51PM

Phil: After 60 years of experimentation I find joining rod sections from top to bottom far easier than from bottom to top. I have yet to meet an angler who actually tried the top-to-bottom sequence who disagrees. Sorta like doubling your fly line and threading the bend through the guide train is easier than threading the tippet through first.

Date: January 22, 2017 03:52PM

Phil: After 60 years of experimentation I find joining rod sections from top to bottom far easier than from bottom to top. I have yet to meet an angler who actually tried the top-to-bottom sequence who disagrees. Sorta like doubling your fly line and threading the bend through the guide train is easier than threading the tippet through first.

Date: January 23, 2017 02:01PM

Well Phil, I also have been fly fishing for over 60 years and having done it both ways, I prefer assembling from bottom up, and use the same method Tom mentions above. Don't see the connection with the doubling fly line comment, as it is common practice among experienced fly fishermen.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster