I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Lamiglas 13' 3pc certified pro tip section needed
Posted by: Jeffrey McCulloch (---.sub-70-195-131.myvzw.com)
Date: January 16, 2017 04:18PM

Just joined the forum, started my first strip and rebuild on a 13' 3pc Lamiglas Certified Pro Light 6-10# X 13 LS. I think it was also listed as an XSH 156 3L. Due to an unfortunate accident with my brother's kid, I now need a new tip section lol. About 8-10" snapped off the end. I took the rod in to a local rod builder who swears he can fix it as close to new as possible but I'm not too hopeful of that. I was hoping that maybe someone on this board might possibly have a spare tip section from one of these rods laying around that they may be willing to part with by any chance. Or even if someone who has a little more knowledge than me with float blanks that might be able to guide me to another 13' 3pc 6-10# with a similar action that I might be able to piece in a top section without noticing too much of a difference from the old section. Any help you guys can give me is seriously appreciated, I'm so mad at myself for letting this happen. I should have never decided to strip a discontinued rod in the first place, live and learn I guess. Thanks again guys

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Lamiglas 13' 3pc certified pro tip section needed
Posted by: Spencer Phipps (172.56.42.---)
Date: January 16, 2017 04:37PM

Just because it's discontinued does not mean parts aren't available, have you called Lamiglas?

Date: January 16, 2017 06:21PM

Called Lamiglas first thing this morning, they have nothing available unfortunately. I think the rod has been out of production for about 8-9 years now. He said to try mudhole as they sometimes have old blanks and tip sections left around, tried there as well to no avail. I talked to a builder close to me out of Utica, NY and he recommended getting on here and seeing what you guys recommend, or if maybe there was a section floating around out there somewhere that this was the place to find it. So I hopped on and figured I'd take a shot in the dark and see what I can come up with. I have a lead on a factory built rod, same model, but the guy wants $250 for it. I just can't spend that right now, especially when I didn't spend that much on the original rod haha

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: January 16, 2017 06:32PM

The problem is not all tip sections fit all mid sections so just getting a tip won't help. I've seen some fine repairs done to a broken tip section, if the person who offered to fix your rod tip is good at it you'll see minor diferences only after the repair.

Date: January 16, 2017 06:47PM

I've heard the same from a few different people. If the cost was minimal, I'd still take a shot on a used tip section. I dropped the rod off today to an older gentleman local to me, water wizard in Hburg, NY. He says he can fix it very close to new and it will be hardly visible, all with an external sleeve. I can't see it being barely visible with a sleeve over the break wouldn't that part be thicker than the rest of the tip of the rod?? In any case, he has it and I'm going to see how it comes out, I'm not going to get my hopes up as to it being perfect like he says it will be but if it is that's awesome. I'm still going to stay on the lookout for another top just in case, if the cost isn't bad and it doesn't fit that's OK. At least I didn't spend another $250 on another rod

Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net)
Date: January 16, 2017 09:37PM

Finding a tip for an 8 or 9 year old rod is like trying to find a gold nugget in the desert.................might happen, but not likely.

A good repair job can make the rod very serviceable, but remember it has been broken, so it is not going to be the same as before the break.

Trying to fit another brand tip usually does not work, both due to taper diameter differences and actions.

Date: January 16, 2017 09:56PM

Totally understand, that's why I was hoping this forum might be like my oasis in the desert, and hopefully maybe one of you fine gentleman may hold the gold nugget I've been looking for lol. My efforts might be futile, but I'm just trying to fix the situation bad best I can at this point. I'm open to any ideas and suggestions anybody's got to get myself back on track with this build. I even heard that these blanks were available through the little dipper shop in Huron, Michigan but they went out of business in 2013, maybe someone knows how to contact the previous owner? Maybe I can acquire a top section through him somehow? I know I'm probably grasping at straws but I'd really like to build this rod if possible, or I'm going to at least try all I can before scrapping it and my $200 I spent on it. Thanks again for the speedy replies guys, hopefully maybe I'll get lucky but it's not looking good

Posted by: Jeffrey McCulloch (---.sub-70-195-134.myvzw.com)
Date: January 28, 2017 01:11AM

OK, so I got a replacement tip section from Lamiglas. But it looks as though this was either not made long enough or someone cut it down too short. It is about 1/2" shorter than my mid section and my original tip section. So, in turn, the ferrule on the tip to mid sections only fits together about half to three quarters of the way, still looks like it should go on about another 1/2" or so judging by the wear mark from the old section. Just figured I'd check with the experts to see if anyone has run into this problem before and if there is anything at all I can do to use this tip section or am I SOL?

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster