I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Blank blanks?
Posted by: Mark Hedl (---.sub-174-221-10.myvzw.com)
Date: January 15, 2017 04:08PM

Hey experts,
Like many here, I've caught the custom bug and am planning some custom builds for an upcoming fly-in trip this June in NW Ontario. I've been pouring over these forums and can't believe what an active community this. Not to mention what a great resource this forum is! It's nice to think of myself as a contributor some time in the future but for now I'll just thank you all in advance for putting up with another rookie. =)

As I'm planning out parts for my first build, a quick question: Are rod blanks blank or do they all have manufacturer logos and specs printed on them? I know this is a really anal question but I want to color match a rod to an existing reel and I want to know if I have to plan around a potentially ugly color contrast from a manufacturer logo. If there are logos/specs printed on blanks... are they permanent or can they be easily removed without damaging the blanks finish?

Appreciate any input!
-Mark

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Blank blanks?
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: January 16, 2017 11:11AM

Assuming the blank is a first quality, modern part, it will either have the manufacturer's name and model # on it or included on a decal with the blank. Most tend to include the decal which you are free to use or not. In either case, make sure you retain the decal in the event you need to file a warranty claim at some point in the future. That decal will need to be returned with the rod.

Posted by: Herb Ladenheim (---.lightspeed.wepbfl.sbcglobal.net)
Date: January 16, 2017 12:35PM

Mark,
Tom is correct regarding companies that sell factory finished rods as well as "blanks" for builders. i.e. Sage adds the letter "B" for Blank at end of blank description so it cannot be sold as a factory rod.
Others. like Gatti from Italy has a logo w/o the letter "B" and you may order it w/o a logo entirely.

Dan Craft's blanks, which are pretty good and are in the $200 range have no logo. He does not manufacture rods. He also does not manufacture the blanks. He has them built for him, he says, in thye U.S.
Arguably one of the best blanks in the world - CTS - have no logos. They do build a linited number of rods (Maven) but mostly supply blanks. See link: [ctsfishing.com]

Herb
U.S. Distributer CTS Blanks

Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net)
Date: January 16, 2017 01:15PM

Here is a short list of suppliers on the left that do not put the logo on the blank. Like Tom mentioned they include a decal that you can chose to use or not.

Batson, MHX (Mudhole), Pac Bay, Rod Geeks and Lami Glas.

Date: January 16, 2017 01:35PM

Also on the Left: CTS
Herb

Posted by: Lance Schreckenbach (---.lightspeed.rsbgtx.sbcglobal.net)
Date: January 16, 2017 01:52PM

As stated earlier most of them come with a decal or the decal is on them, some are silk screened. In many cases the silk screened logo can be removed with acetone. On some blanks the manufacturer will put a finish coating over the decal. Sometimes you can remove the finish on a corner of the decal and remove it, but by doing this it will mess up the finish and you will have to sand and re-apply a finish to make it look right. I would just get the blank that I want and if you can't remove the decal so be it. My wife always wants something pink like a phone or a fishing reel even if it is not the best in its class. It depends on what you are willing to settle for. For the life of me I don't know why the manufacturers will sometimes put a logo on where anyone will put the grip, but they do, and part of it will stick out from under the grip. You can always put a wrap over it. I think sometimes the worker in charge is laughing his rear off thinking to himself when he applies the decals; "Let's see that American deal with this". The same way they put all those fasteners in toy packaging along with bullet proof plastic that will destroy the thing inside or injure yourself trying to remove it. Sorry for the rant, somethings just make me angry.

Date: January 16, 2017 02:38PM

Lance
The reason that logos are so close to the butt - like Sage - is because they expect you to add a fighting butt onto the blank thereby extending it to the design length.
I'm talking fly rods here - don't know about casting rods.
Herb

Posted by: Lance Schreckenbach (---.lightspeed.rsbgtx.sbcglobal.net)
Date: January 16, 2017 02:52PM

Herb,
Is that what they do? I was wondering why my grip was so close to the decal. I use the blank for the butt piece. Thanks that was bothering me. I have always attached the butt piece to the butt of the blank. The only thing that is not fully attached is the very rear cork ring that will be rubberized cork, burl or EVA but the it is still partially set into it.
Thanks,
Lance

Posted by: Mark Hedl (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: January 16, 2017 04:53PM

This is perfect, thank you Herb. I'll stick with blanks from one of the manufacturers you listed for now. Lance gave some good advice about removing decals that are already on the blank but knowing which manufacturers ship them the way I want at least gives me a chance to avoid some extra finishing steps until I get more comfortable with my new hobby :)

Can't wait to get started!
Thanks again,
-Mark

Date: January 16, 2017 08:35PM

Lance
If you are working with Sage fly blank - if you measure the assembled blank you will see that it is an inch or two under 9'0". You have to add a fighting butt to bring it to 9'0".
I also like to build the fighting butt directly on the blank.
Herb

Date: January 16, 2017 08:38PM

Mark,
Email me your email address - or unhide yours.
Herb

Date: January 16, 2017 09:47PM

Herb, i am a little confused ! I have on hand a number of Sage fly rod blanks, and none of them are an "inch or two" under 9ft. They are1/2" at most. None are heavy enough to put on a fighting butt. as they are 6 to 4 wt.

I find if I put the usual 7" grip and reel seat, the Sage logo appears just above the grip, which is where it will appear on their factory rods.

Date: January 17, 2017 12:06PM

Phil
Just put a tape on a #10 Sage One. From tip to butt it is 8' 10.5"
With the modern large arbor reels I like 2" fighting butts so the reel handle doesn't get caught on clothing.
That would bring the grip pretty close to logo. if FB built onto butt. Closer than a factory rod. I am sure that is because they attach a FB separate to grip/seat. Sage FB's are shorter than I like them to be.
Herb

Posted by: Pete Riola- Getrodblanks.com (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: January 17, 2017 12:32PM

Elliott Blanks would fit your bill. Most of you know this but Elliott Blanks are brought to you by Gregg Thorne. Gregg is a well respected and experienced innovator of fishing rods and fishing products. This one in particular is an excellent walleye stick [getrodblanks.com]. Our customers are huge fans of this one too [getrodblanks.com].

A sentence or two about Elliott-
Elliott rod blanks are constructed using high modulus graphite materials, Depending on the character, action and power requirements each model has its own material make up; or recipe. They are designed in taper, tip diameters and wall thickness’s that bring out the very best potential of the materials along with very high quality control tolerances creating quality rod blanks that custom rod builders seek whether building for the everyday fisherman, guide, or professional angler. Elliott blanks are produced in the natural flat grey finish simply because it compliments most every cosmetic color application a rod wrapper inspires to use plus it reduces weight that’s inherent with painted finishes and finally, the flat grey finish is more resistant to cosmetic scaring such as nicks and scratches.

Posted by: Mark Talmo (---.dsl.lsan03.sbcglobal.net)
Date: January 19, 2017 12:06AM

Pete,
… Not to mention a flat or matte finish will not reflect sunlight to spook that 5lb Golden Trout high in the Sierra!

Mark Talmo
FISHING IS NOT AN ESCAPE FROM LIFE BUT RATHER A DEEPER IMMERSION INTO IT!!! BUILDING YOUR OWN SIMPLY ENHANCES THE EXPERIENCE.

Date: January 21, 2017 01:11PM

Mark, a "5lb Golden" what are you smoking? LOL

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster