I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Color preserver questions
Posted by: kevin gross (---.188.23.209.lan.static.cptelecom.net)
Date: January 13, 2017 02:21PM

I am building a rod and need the thread to be the brightest it can be. I am using hot orange and would like it to stay that way. My NCP hot orange thread has the washed out look. kind of muted. I bought some non NCP thread and it really bright like I want. if I give it a few coats of color preserver will it get that washed out look? Also does color preserver keep some of the epoxy from soaking in and making it weaker? I will be using size d thread. Also any brands better that another? Thanks for your help!

Kevin Gross
Many men will spend their whole life wondering if they made a difference. Marines dont have that problem - Ronald Regan

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Color preserver questions
Posted by: Capt. Michael Harmon (---.mycingular.net)
Date: January 13, 2017 02:55PM

You can try the NCP thread with a couple coats of perma gloss let dry then epoxy. Do a test wrap.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: January 13, 2017 02:58PM

The purpose of CP is to prevent the top coat of finish from penetrating the thread. Don't worry about having a weak wrap - CP does not cause weak wraps.

If the blank is dark under the wraps, then even CP will tend to see the thread lose a shade or so. You can paint the blank white underneath if you want to maintain maximum brightness. Otherwise, two wet coats of CP on a wrap that is evenly and tightly packed is about the best you can do and should work fairly well.

Posted by: Matthew Pitrowski (---.lightspeed.milwwi.sbcglobal.net)
Date: January 13, 2017 04:43PM

Is the spool white ?
and the blank is black your eyes will play tricks on you with color richness
it will appear dull after cp is added but will be fine after finished

The best day to be alive is always tomorrow !!
Think out side the box when all else fails !!!
Wi.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: January 13, 2017 05:26PM

Kevin,
Another thing to maintain color thread brightness is to do a 100% underwrap with silver thread.

Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net)
Date: January 13, 2017 06:50PM

NCP will never have the "color pop" of regular nylon, as a chalk like material is added to NCP to prevent color change. Like Tom points out and others have also mentioned, if the orange is going onto a dark colored blank, it will change! If you absolutely want to maintain the regular nylon thread color, put something light colored under it, paint, white NCP thread, silver metallic, etc.

Posted by: Mark Talmo (---.dsl.lsan03.sbcglobal.net)
Date: January 14, 2017 01:37AM

All good answers. I especially like Roger’s silver metallic underwrap. I’ll remember that one.

Mark Talmo
FISHING IS NOT AN ESCAPE FROM LIFE BUT RATHER A DEEPER IMMERSION INTO IT!!! BUILDING YOUR OWN SIMPLY ENHANCES THE EXPERIENCE.

Posted by: Lynn Behler (---.97.252.156.res-cmts.leh.ptd.net)
Date: January 14, 2017 08:47PM

Plaid acrylic craft paints work well as a basecolor on blanks. Cheap and easy cleanup.

Posted by: Dennis Danku (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: January 15, 2017 12:20PM

If the bulk of an under wrap is not an issue then go that route, but if you need a slim profile try using silver or white Mylar tape that is sold at craft stores in place of the under wrap. I try to find rolls that are 1 1/2" wide which will cover most fresh water blanks

Dennis J. Danku
(Sayreville,NJ)

Posted by: John Shear (198.135.124.---)
Date: January 19, 2017 05:07PM

Kevin, I have scrap blanks laying around, so I always do a short test wrap of each color to see what it really looks like with and without CP and finish. You can't judge the final color just by looking at the thread on the spool. As someone else mentioned, I will occasionally paint the blank white in the area of the decorative wrap to keep light colors light. I like the shimmer of regular nylon so I always use that with CP.
I do use NCP for narrow white/yellow/tan trim bands in guide wraps. The bland look isn't noticeable in thin bands.

John Shear
Chippewa Falls, WI

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster