I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Surf rod
Posted by: pete secrest (---.sub-70-210-67.myvzw.com)
Date: January 11, 2017 10:43PM

I have a friend that wants me to build a 10-1/2' 2-6 oz lure surf rod. I'm used to building 9' steelhead rods can anybody give an idea what I would need for a handle length and or guides? Thanks in advance. Pete

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Surf rod
Posted by: Bill Sidney (---.gci.net)
Date: January 11, 2017 11:26PM

lots of rods out there will fit the bill , what type of reel , WT line, how many sections for the rod , most all suppliers have people to help you over the hump, I can't as I am like you a newbey on surf rods ,

William Sidney
AK

Posted by: Capt. Michael Harmon (---.mycingular.net)
Date: January 12, 2017 09:26AM

Like the other post stated, more info the better. From what you are telling us I believe you need a butt length of 20" plus butt cap. That type of rod I've made the butt section from 18"-22".
Guide sizes will be determined by the reel size and line to leader connections. Running guides I would use size 8 to 10 rings. A good choice are the Fuji K guides. Double foot with the alconite or SIC rings. I've had good results with them on my surf chucking rods(4-8oz lure weight).
It's important to keep rod weight down since it's going to take more effort to cast and retrieve. Keep that in mind when planning grips, guides, wraps, and his reel choice. Static test and test cast. Good luck.

Posted by: pete secrest (---.hsd1.mi.comcast.net)
Date: January 12, 2017 03:30PM

Running guides in the 8-10 size is ok for a spinning style rod? Thanks for the info, that will give me an idea.

Posted by: Capt. Michael Harmon (---.mycingular.net)
Date: January 12, 2017 04:23PM

Yes, #8-#10 are good for surf spin running guides. You can go bigger of you want but I find #10 pass knots without issue. I also match my tip top ring size to my running guide size or go one size greater.

** in my earlier post I wanted to write "surf chunking" rod. Spell check got me.

Posted by: pete secrest (---.sub-70-210-70.myvzw.com)
Date: January 12, 2017 10:23PM

Thanks for the info!

Posted by: Barry Thomas Sr (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: January 13, 2017 01:04AM

For a Spinning Surf rod if casting Braided line start off with a 30MM guide of Suitable Height K guides are My Favorite 30 -20 -16 to 12's or 10's with a matching top. If casting MONO you might need to start with a 40 MM and work your set up from there. As far as Butt Grip length I feel should be Fitted to the person casting,giving them a more comfortable grip length will allow them more casting time

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster