I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

A rookie starting
Posted by: Ian bochenek (---.lightspeed.stlsmo.sbcglobal.net)
Date: January 11, 2017 10:20PM

Hi my name is Ian I'm a 40 year old guy that wants to try to build a rod. I'm a union artificial turf installer so I'm good with my hands. So I'm wanting to know. What are the main things I need? I looked on mud hole for blanks is a IM6 a good starter rod.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: A rookie starting
Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: January 11, 2017 10:55PM

Ian,
You can look at the Mud Hole web site and find a great amount of information with respect to supplies etc. with respect to starting with rod building.

Essentially you need a cardboard box with a couple of v's cut into the ends to hold the rod. Run the thread through a telephone director to put tension on the thread. A few razor blades, a bottle of denatured alcohol, epoxy glue, tite bond III glue if gluing up cork grips, thread and thread finish.

After you have done it a lot, you can purchase another $1,000 worth of equipment and be better equipped.

Be safe

Posted by: Mark Talmo (---.dsl.lsan03.sbcglobal.net)
Date: January 12, 2017 02:19AM

Lan,
Roger is a veteran rod builder and a master in many fields in general, electronics in particular. Always take note of his suggestions (and most of his opinions LOL) to flatten your rod building learning curve immensely. Not only does Mud Hole offer a vast array of blanks, guides and most other rod building supplies, they offer many step-by-step videos and links concerning every aspect of rod building. Although I have not purchased a “blank kit” from them, it may be a great idea and worth serious consideration. I am quite certain their kits include suggested guide spacing to eliminate the need to figure it out yourself. I am also a newbie of 8 months, and the guide type, size, height and spacing can be rather overwhelming for all but the seasoned veteran. I have relied upon the members of this site to assist me with quite a few issues and they have yet to fail me unlike other sites where the light may be on but nobody is home.
Rod building is similar to installing artificial turf in that anyone can do either but require experience to be proficient. Read some articles, watch some videos, buy a kit, put some vee notches in a cardboard box, and have at it. I am confident in speaking for most everyone on this site that we are all here when needed if simply asked.

Mark Talmo
FISHING IS NOT AN ESCAPE FROM LIFE BUT RATHER A DEEPER IMMERSION INTO IT!!! BUILDING YOUR OWN SIMPLY ENHANCES THE EXPERIENCE.

Posted by: Ken Preston (---.opera-mini.net)
Date: January 12, 2017 08:38AM

Start with Tom Kirkman's book. Very easy to read and understand and covers all the basics. If you are 'handy' (as you stated) check the photo section for lots of things you can build yourself - and read the Glossary, Directory and Library here. Tons of information to be had

Posted by: Ken Preston (---.opera-mini.net)
Date: January 12, 2017 08:38AM

Start with Tom Kirkman's book. Very easy to read and understand and covers all the basics. If you are 'handy' (as you stated) check the photo section for lots of things you can build yourself - and read the Glossary, Directory and Library here. Tons of information to be had

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: January 12, 2017 10:28AM

Lan,
The one single thing that will help you with your rod building more than anything else is "school".

i.e. if there is a rod shop in the area, or a builder in the area where you can go to take a class or to get help during your build will help you to avoid mistakes and end up with a nice rod.

So much of getting better are learning the "little tricks" that a veteran builder uses all of the time without thinking about it.

Good luck

Posted by: Donald R Campbell (---.socal.res.rr.com)
Date: January 12, 2017 12:10PM

Lan,

I would second the recommendation of purchasing one of Mudhole's rod building kits. I have built several of their kits for clients that specifically requested one and was very impressed with the ease of construction and the quality of their kits. As also mentioned above, Mudhole has on their web site a PDF File that can be down loaded with guide spacing for all of the rod building kits.

Don Campbell
don@sensorfishingrods.com

Posted by: Jim Genova (---.nc.res.rr.com)
Date: January 12, 2017 06:39PM

In addition to the recommendations from the authorities above, I would also suggest attending a Mud Hole Class if there is one within driving distance of your home. There is nothing better than having a problem and having an instructor right there to answer it. Having someone to show you each and every step may seem excessive, but I TELL YOU IT IS NOT! I found questions i didn't even know I had, and I had been building rods for a while. (You also end up with a starter kit with everything you will need for several of your next rods).

Posted by: Terry Fude (---.dhcp.fdul.wi.charter.com)
Date: January 12, 2017 08:08PM

I would also figure on a reamer kit, like this one
[www.jannsnetcraft.com]
it makes fitting the cork handles a lot easier.
other places have them, i just knew where to find this one.

Posted by: Herb Ladenheim (---.lightspeed.wepbfl.sbcglobal.net)
Date: January 13, 2017 08:06AM

Ian
What sort of rod are you intending to build?
Herb

Posted by: Randy Hively (---.dr01.chtn.wv.frontiernet.net)
Date: January 13, 2017 09:37AM

Another source for learning is your local fishing clubs. You will find that they often have members that are rod builders. My local Trout Unlimited has rod building classes every year. It also has many members that will help anyone that wants to learn how to build a rod. It's hard to beat the one on one teaching and having someone a phone call away to help when you have questions.

Posted by: Steve Stansberry (206.246.9.---)
Date: January 14, 2017 11:08AM

Ian I understand your dilemma, I too have family heirlooms that I pretty much leave as I've rec'd, an individuals choice. Also the feeling of a restore and I made it myself, having 1 son and 1 grandson it's good to know these things may or may have value to them but knowing that I passed it on down whatever was done is a personal thing. Now the post about attending a class perked my attention, Mudhole will be holding a class 4-1, 4-2, in Kansas City go to mudholes website and click on classes for the info, I've enrolled myself and son we are pretty excited about this. I've also done a kit from mudhole and its pretty straight forward, I'm also into the vintage rods with cork handles and got really excited when I found an old Fenwick Grizzly at a flea mkt so yes you have caught the bug. This site has been a big help towards solving issues for me, especially when it comes to mixing epoxy do what it says. Goodluck have fun!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster