I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Rebuilding old rod
Posted by: Ian bochenek (---.lightspeed.stlsmo.sbcglobal.net)
Date: January 11, 2017 06:16PM

Ok I was tied flys before and enjoy it a lot. But I have gotten 2 of the same st. Croix 6'6 inch fly rods from my late grandfather. I would love to rebuild them to working condition.im running into many problems from identifying them to never building an fishing rod. Was hoping to find the help to bring theses back to life. Ok this is what I know they had cork handles, they are st. Croix with a white decal which it's mostly gone. Only numbers I find on them are 6'6" and 675 it painted white on the fiberglass.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Rebuilding old rod
Posted by: Donald La Mar (---.lightspeed.lsvlky.sbcglobal.net)
Date: January 11, 2017 06:48PM

Ian

Hard truth is the restoration of rods to which you have an emotional attachment and for which you have no prior rod building experience is going to be a serious challenge and steep learning curve. You need to acquire skills, do some research, and then make some decisions.

Think about building an inexpensive rod or two first to acquire building experience and skills while you do the research. Then attempt the restoration.

Michael Sinclair wrote the "Bamboo Rod Restoration Handbook". While it's focus is bamboo instead of glass, it is nonetheless a solid presentation of the tasks and decisions related to restorations regardless of the blank material.

Truly not trying to discourage you from attempting a restoration, but here is a time for everything to be retired, and there is no shame in building a presentation box for your grandfather's rods and hanging them on the wall.

Date: January 11, 2017 08:24PM

Ok thank you for the advice about doing a dry run with some different rod. I understand there will be a large learning curve for me. I am think about getting a bait caster rod so maybe start there. As for time I have rods for about 15 years. So I'm not in a rush to have them. But I hope to find ideas and advise like this to try this.

Posted by: Mark Talmo (---.dsl.lsan03.sbcglobal.net)
Date: January 11, 2017 08:37PM

Lan,
Considering the sentimental value and the fact these are irreplaceable, vintage rods, valuable or not, seriously consider Donald’s suggestions. If you end up building 50 rods, you will still cherish these the most. It would be a shame to not do them justice. Even building one or two prior, as Donald mentioned, will not only give you a much better idea of how to actually do it, but a better appreciation as well.
While certainly not disagreeing with Donald’s last words, I enthusiastically love fishing vintage rods. Nothing compares to the beauty, FUN and feel. I have been asked, “But what if it breaks?” My reply is, “Then if died a glorious, honorable death performing its original intent”.

Mark Talmo
FISHING IS NOT AN ESCAPE FROM LIFE BUT RATHER A DEEPER IMMERSION INTO IT!!! BUILDING YOUR OWN SIMPLY ENHANCES THE EXPERIENCE.

Posted by: Mark Talmo (---.dsl.lsan03.sbcglobal.net)
Date: January 11, 2017 09:35PM

Lan,
I totally forgot to include the following. Expensive equipment is NOT required for start-up. Simple Vee notches cut in an 18in wide box will serve as a wrapping fixture and running thread through pages of a book will achieve tension for the thread. There are plenty of videos on guide placement and handle construction, plus you will be amazed with the amount of unselfish, qualified help you will receive from the many builders within this site if you simply ask. Even being a rookie, I might contaminate the veteran assistance pool.

Mark Talmo
FISHING IS NOT AN ESCAPE FROM LIFE BUT RATHER A DEEPER IMMERSION INTO IT!!! BUILDING YOUR OWN SIMPLY ENHANCES THE EXPERIENCE.

Date: January 11, 2017 09:50PM

Yes they may just become wall pieces. I but will say this I went to a boat a fishing show over 5 years ago and was talking to a guy about doing a rod. So I think I got the bug to try to do a rod make it custom for me. And I feel that the reward I get from catching a fishing from a fly I made will be even greater if it was also be the pole. I just join here and have found it very nice. I plan on keep asking questions and share what I learn. And thank you mark for your input. Ps love the quote of yours and I the idea if it breaks it die like it should have.

Posted by: Tom Schotsman (---.rogers.com)
Date: January 12, 2017 06:41AM

I'm going to swim upstream a bit hear and encourage you to rebuild them. While they may have some sentimental value right now, to me they would have more personal value when rebuilt into a rod you enjoy fishing. I'd choose the worse of the two rods and give it a try.

There isn't much information out there about the St. Croix fiberglass rods, but they have a reputation of being a solid 'blue-collar' rod.

I enjoy rebuilding these old fiberglass rods. I usually strip the blanks right down to raw fiberglass and refinish with spar varnish. I end up replacing the guides most of the time, snakes are no problem and strippers that look correct for that age of rod aren't hard to find. New cork, and you can either resuse the reel seat if it's good or replace it - just note that removing the reel seat can be the most difficult part of the rebuild. Warp the guides up with some nylon thread and give them a couple coats of spar varnish. Period correct and easy to do. Doesn't take much equipment or cost much.

It's up to you, but I'll encourage you to give it a shot.

Posted by: Vong Vue (---.70-40-225.netnet.net)
Date: January 12, 2017 12:55PM

Go for it! That's how I started out. I didn't have the budget to buy blanks and wrapping equipment. But I had a ton of old rods, some blocks of wood, bought some used guides, thread and off I went. Even stripping a rod is a good learning experience.

There's a lot of videos out there that'll help get you started.

Posted by: Matthew Pitrowski (---.lightspeed.milwwi.sbcglobal.net)
Date: January 12, 2017 04:20PM

Ian If you could send me some oics of the rods I might be able better assist you in the restoration

The best day to be alive is always tomorrow !!
Think out side the box when all else fails !!!
Wi.

Posted by: Russell Brunt (---.lightspeed.miamfl.sbcglobal.net)
Date: January 12, 2017 05:53PM

I "think" that it is a 6'6" St Croix Genuine Double Power 2 piece fly rod, circa mid-late 1960's. It would be a solid (not hollow in the middle) fiberglass rod. Is there enough of the decal left to see a little red around the white part? If I'm correct it should fish a double taper 5 weight line okay for bluegill and bass.

I say go for the rebuild. Always been special to me to use something that someone who passed used a lot. My daughter can't understand why I have antique kitchen equipment that belonged to my grandmother. But heck, I remember learning how to make a cake from scratch with that old hand mixer......so no, IT CAN'T BE THROWN AWAY EVER!

Russ in Hollywood, FL.

Posted by: David Parsons (---.c3-0.drf-ubr1.atw-drf.pa.cable.rcn.com)
Date: January 12, 2017 07:34PM

I would say give it a try because you could always do it 2,3,4 times .Last winter I redid the first rod that got me started in this addiction . wish I had a before and after photo . Maybe you could find another builder near you to give you some help. post where you are at and see what happens

Date: January 12, 2017 08:06PM

You are right Russell it does have some red in it. So thank you I've been trying to find more about it. Matthew I will take some more pictures soon before I start. I did stop by a high class fly fishing shop to have it checked out. But they really kinda pew pewed me. Really didn't seem to care because they don't do the work there. And so really zero help just I would put more $ in it than it's worth. ( that's not the point) so I bought a book and new eyelets and left. The book is start to finish fly rod building by Ryan seiders and dan smith. ( flex coat ) so I'm going to clean up the worse one for the wall and hope to get better on 2 to be a used fly rod.

Posted by: Norman Miller (---.lightspeed.jcsnms.sbcglobal.net)
Date: January 12, 2017 08:26PM

Let us know where you are, there may be someone willing to give you a hand.
Norm

Date: January 12, 2017 09:24PM

I live in St. Louis mo

Posted by: Norman Miller (---.lightspeed.jcsnms.sbcglobal.net)
Date: January 12, 2017 09:52PM

I'm about 500 mi south of you. Maybe someone closer.
Norm

Date: January 19, 2017 08:54AM

Just to give an up date I found a great fly shop to get all my parts. The guys there we're very help fill and told me that it was a great rod to do it with. Also told me to come back with any questions anytime; but to bring the rods back to show off. So work on replacing rod seat and starting the guides.

Posted by: Michael Elmore (---.res.bhn.net)
Date: February 01, 2017 03:08AM

As much as I enjoy building with a brand new blank there is something so rewarding when a customer picks up their freshly redone rod and almost doesn't believe it's the same rod. With that said, maybe you can hit up a flea market, pawn shop and/or garage sales to find some older rods in need of some to to redo before trying it on some that your cherish.

Date: February 23, 2017 08:08AM

I wanted to to give an update on my build. The handle is removed and replaced and has turned out great I'm so happy with it. So I'm now ready to start wrapping the guides. I made a wood table with springs and all. So I found some old broken rods and I'm have removed the wraps and have used them for practice. Had a little trouble with the wrap as it goes on the the guides. Now it is a large spinning reel guide it seemed to over lap. I'm going to try a smaller one today. I have to say this is fun I'm really enjoying this and all the help the site has given.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster