I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Coating CF handles
Posted by: Trace Butkovich (107.77.97.---)
Date: January 10, 2017 09:53PM

How many coats of permagloss do you usually put over a carbon fiber handle? I don't have to put epoxy down first righ? I can do just straight permagloss and still get good results?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Coating CF handles
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: January 10, 2017 10:07PM

[www.youtube.com]

Date: January 10, 2017 10:29PM

Thank for the video tom but still have one more question. You say in the very beginning that you wetted it out (not sure what that is I'll have to do more research on that) before the video, I'm going to buy the premade "cfx compostie Carbon fiber grip" now the question is is it already wetted out?

Posted by: Norman Miller (---.lightspeed.jcsnms.sbcglobal.net)
Date: January 10, 2017 10:39PM

The CFX grips are ready to be coated with Permagloss. Follow Tom's method it works extremely well; it is very easy and almost fool proof. Try it you will like the results. You can put on as many coats as you wish, two are usually sufficient. Gives you a very hard and durable finish.
Norm

Posted by: Jerry Driggers (---.ec.res.rr.com)
Date: January 10, 2017 11:00PM

Depends on the look you're after, if you want a smooth grip, then you'll need another coat of epoxy on the CFX grips.

Date: January 10, 2017 11:11PM

Thanks Tom, Norman and jerry really appreciate the help!

Date: January 14, 2017 06:40PM

Tom,

If I where to use a drill press as a lathe would the permagloss flow to the bottom or is the coat usually light enough to dry before it has a chance?

Date: January 14, 2017 07:13PM

You will probably be ok, it is a thin oat and drys quickly. Could also use a cordless hand drill also chuck in some type of mandrel with the grip fitted on it . Hold in one hand coat with the other.
Norm

Date: January 14, 2017 07:24PM

Thanks Norman really appreciate it!

Posted by: Jason Duong (---.pools.spcsdns.net)
Date: January 17, 2017 11:51AM

Question, not to hijack the thread but can I use a regular rod dryer and do this same process with perma gloss? I think my rod dryer is around 8 rpm.

The last cf grips I did I covered them in thread finish and it looks good but not as hard as I'd like.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/17/2017 11:57AM by Jason Duong.

Date: January 17, 2017 01:40PM

8 RPM is pretty slow, but should be ok. Would be easier and faster to use a cordless drill. It works great if you do not have a lathe.
Norm

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster