I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Where To Buy Quality German Silver Ferrules?
Posted by: Mark Talmo (---.dsl.lsan03.sbcglobal.net)
Date: January 10, 2017 08:30PM

While waiting for replies from a few sponsor venders, I am looking for sources for quality nickel-silver, AKA German silver, ferrules. The ferrule must be 31/64 on end and 32/64 on the other, size 13 as per Mud Hole. Is this a standard / universal size? The one purchased from Mud Hole fits fine and was certainly inexpensive enough but would prefer a higher quality unit. I am ferrule-unfamiliar and not certain if a “Swiss”, “Truncated”, or “Step” type would be the best. It is my understanding a truncated ferrule employ radial slits on the ends which certainly seems beneficial from a stress point.
It must have been a very happy day for you veteran rod builders when metal ferrules were replaced with tip-over-butt connections. It is the only down-side I experience working with these vintage FG blanks.
Previous thanks for helping!

Mark Talmo
FISHING IS NOT AN ESCAPE FROM LIFE BUT RATHER A DEEPER IMMERSION INTO IT!!! BUILDING YOUR OWN SIMPLY ENHANCES THE EXPERIENCE.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Where To Buy Quality German Silver Ferrules?
Posted by: Dennis Danku (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: January 10, 2017 08:49PM

Check with Anglers Roost.

Dennis J. Danku
(Sayreville,NJ)

Date: January 10, 2017 09:47PM

Thanks, Denis. They are one from whom I am awaiting a reply.

Mark Talmo
FISHING IS NOT AN ESCAPE FROM LIFE BUT RATHER A DEEPER IMMERSION INTO IT!!! BUILDING YOUR OWN SIMPLY ENHANCES THE EXPERIENCE.

Posted by: Ron Weber (---.ph.ph.cox.net)
Date: January 10, 2017 10:05PM

I don't know if your will get a reply from him very soon or not, he is in the hospital for a couple of weeks and not supposed to be available until after the 16th from what I have heard

Ron Weber

Posted by: Norman Miller (---.lightspeed.jcsnms.sbcglobal.net)
Date: January 10, 2017 10:24PM

The nickel silver ferrules are traditionally used on bamboo rods, and many places involved with bamboo rods sell nickel silver ferrules. However, if you want something larger than 17/64 you will have to have it custom machined for you. Usually the male ferrule comes oversized and has to be lapped to get a good custom fit. The tabs at the end of ferrules fit on the six flats of the bamboo rod. Not sure if you will be able to get such a large nickel silver ferrule, unless you are willing to pay a lot for it! Bellinger might be able to help you get a larger ferrule, but I have my doubts.
[www.genuinebellinger.com]
A chrome plated brass ferrule should work fine and is a lot cheaper.
Many years ago when metal ferrules were the only choice for making a two piece, we made fiberglass ferrules by finding a fiberglass sleeve that would fit the area where we wanted to cut the blank. The sleeve was trimmed appropriately to serve as a ferrule, approximately 2" overlap of each end. The blank was then cut and the sleeve epoxied in place on the tip section of the blank. The ferrules were wrapped to give them some strength to prevent/resist splitting. These ferrules held up extremely well, and I never had one fail. Just a thought as another option for a very light and functional ferrule.
Norm

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/10/2017 10:26PM by Norman Miller.

Date: January 11, 2017 03:14AM

Ron, thanks for the info regarding the owner of Anglers Roost.
Norman, thanks also. Bellinger is another I am awaiting a response. It does not surprise me that you made your own ferrules. I would have considered fabricating my own FG ferrule for this blank but the difference in the diameter of the tip and butt section combined with the original additional build up on the blank at either end of the ferrule makes it impractical to say the least, and trust me, I considered it. Since I have been working on quite a few NOS vintage FG blanks and needed to be able to offer two piece rods, I spent quite a bit of time perfecting a method to fabricate my own FG ferrules. Actually, it combines a thinner external with a thicker, tubular internal spigot, utilizing the blank itself as a mold to produce the required identical tapers. I purchase the woven FG cloth sleeves from Soller Composites. They fit so well, bonding can be avoided which contributes to hindering the natural flex curve of the blank. Side by side comparisons of four “identical” 7ft blanks, one with my “Continuous Arc Rod Link, CARL” revealed a difference in the flex curve to be less than 0.125in. And the pair only weight about 2g.While there may not be much need in main-stream rod building these days, being able to offer a lighter, stronger connecting system which affects the natural curve of the blank much less than a metal ferrule can be very appealing. Yes, I was guilty of over-thinking again!

Mark Talmo

Posted by: sam fox (108.59.99.---)
Date: January 11, 2017 12:44PM

Mark email me privately and I will recommend an excellent source.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster