I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

EVA grip
Posted by: Carl Zobel (---.sub-70-194-17.myvzw.com)
Date: January 10, 2017 11:40AM

I want to put a EVA grip on my inexpensive carbon fiber telescopic fishing rod to use as a tenkara style fly rod. The fishing rod handle is finished. Was wondering ifbI could glue the grip on with the "Loctite plastic epoxy" I have? Wasn't sure if this would be the right glue or epoxy for this? <')))><

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: EVA grip
Posted by: Dan Grulke (166.94.3.---)
Date: January 10, 2017 01:14PM

I use rod bond, some use devcon epoxy, some use Pro Paste.Either of these will work. I have no experience with the product you mentioned.

DG

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: January 10, 2017 01:21PM

Carl,
Actually, you do NOT want to use Loctite plastic epoxy for this use.

All of the new plastic epoxies that have been released in the last few years are for gluing pieces of plastic together.

Date: January 10, 2017 01:59PM

Was hoping I could use something local......something one of the big box stores would have on the shelf. <')))><

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: January 10, 2017 02:19PM

Most would have some sort of 2-part epoxy in small tubes. Deacon type for example.

Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net)

You should be able to find Decon or similar at the big box stores. The product label wll tell you if it is suitable.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/10/2017 02:21PM by Phil Erickson.

I have watched some U-tube videos where they build up the rod with masking tape to fit the I.D. of the grip. If I use rod bond. Will building up the rod with masking tape be a good idea? <')))><

Date: January 10, 2017 02:24PM

Hey Phil......If I use that (devcon) would building up with masking tape be ok? The rod tapers from 19mm to 18.3mm where the grip would end. And should I scuff the rod for better adhesion?

Posted by: Norman Miller (---.lightspeed.jcsnms.sbcglobal.net)
Date: January 10, 2017 02:26PM

The big box stores, hardware stores, and hobby stores all sell two part epoxies. I like the slower curing ones like Devcon two ton epoxy. There are other brands of slow cure epoxies that will also work. I like the slow cure epoxies because they give you more workin time than 5 minute epoxies. Gives you more time to get everything positioned correctly before setting.
[www.acehardware.com]
Norm

Date: January 10, 2017 02:44PM

First off...thanks to everyone who has answered! If you can't guess.....newbie here. I was given some rod building equipment, but to scared to put the money and time into it to come out with a ball of mess. So I thought I would try this first. So any 2 part epoxy should do the job?

Date: January 10, 2017 05:17PM

Pretty much, yes.

Posted by: Carl Zobel (---.drr02.mskg.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: January 10, 2017 05:45PM

Great! But using masking tape should not be a problem to build upnthe taper end under the Eva foam grip using Devcon Epoxy?

Date: January 10, 2017 05:53PM

You can do that but the better choice is to obtain the proper grip size or use cord underneath to shim with.

EVA is not a good grip for fly rods. Too soft. It costs you in the control department. Think about a cord grip, or cork.

Posted by: Matthew Pitrowski (---.lightspeed.milwwi.sbcglobal.net)
Date: January 10, 2017 06:26PM

try the amber gorilla glue it is low expansion and can be sanded just wet the mating surfaces and apply a thin thin coat to each and clamp together and while still wet wipe of excess with a piece of cloth, joint will be almost seamless to the eye and with a light sanding you won't be able to tell

The best day to be alive is always tomorrow !!
Think out side the box when all else fails !!!
Wi.

Posted by: Carl Zobel (---.sub-70-194-2.myvzw.com)
Date: January 11, 2017 09:56AM

Only reason to use the masking tape is because of the taper of the rod. At the butt end the diameter is 19 mm. And 6" up to where the top of the grip would end is 18.3mm.

Date: January 11, 2017 10:33AM

A properly sized EVA grip would be no larger than the forward area on the blank. It is then installed per the instructions in the online FAQS page here. It stretches to accommodate the larger rear area.

Date: January 11, 2017 11:07AM

ThanksTom. Wish I would have know that before I ordered my grip. And how do I get to the FAQ page?

Date: January 11, 2017 11:08AM

Found the FAQ page!

Date: January 11, 2017 11:09AM

Sorry, I could not read the headings on my phone....they weren't big enough......or I don't eat enough carrots!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster