I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pro Kote shelf life
Posted by: John Wright (---.om.om.cox.net)
Date: January 08, 2017 10:52PM

I have read a lot of threads about shelf life of Pro Kote. Most discuss color changes. I have some that has been sitting on the shelf for about a year or so. It mixes fine, nice and clear after I warm both up in hot water. But when I apply it, it goes on lumpy. By that I mean, as I apply it with a brush and work it down the blank, the brush pushes epoxy in a little lump for lack of a better word. Almost like a bow wave on a boat. In the past this bow wave would level out after a few minutes, but now It doesn't seem to want to self level as I am used to seeing it do. Is there a possibility that it is old and has suffered some kind of chemical change?

I can probably work with it by adding a little heat while its turning, but seems strange that it isn't self leveling like it used to.

Think I figured it out. I just increased the rotation speed of the rod and decreased the speed I moved the brush down the rod. That seems to have solved the problem.

Thanks.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/08/2017 11:08PM by John Wright.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Pro Kote shelf life
Posted by: Mark Talmo (---.dsl.lsan03.sbcglobal.net)
Date: January 09, 2017 12:14AM

John,
While not to the extent you described, I am experiencing similar issues with 6 month old ProKote, both regular and high build. I guess you and I need to build rods faster and use up the finish before it goes-off.

Mark Talmo
FISHING IS NOT AN ESCAPE FROM LIFE BUT RATHER A DEEPER IMMERSION INTO IT!!! BUILDING YOUR OWN SIMPLY ENHANCES THE EXPERIENCE.

Posted by: Nick Lam (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: January 09, 2017 12:45AM

One time I mixed a larger batch, warmed it, and kept it in a mixing cup. It cured within minutes and created the lumps you described. At that time, I needed to either mix a smaller batch or pour it in a finishing dish so it could cool down. Might be a possibility, but I don't want to assume that you don't already know that.

Good luck! I haven't had that issue with prokote

Nick

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: January 09, 2017 12:57AM

John,
Lots of folks use both Flex coat, as well as Thread Master and there haven't been issues similar to the one that you have reported with ProKote happening to these products.

If unhappy with a product - you might try a different brand of product.

Be safe

Posted by: Randy Weakley (47.150.13.---)
Date: January 09, 2017 01:20AM

I find that odd. I feel way more time crunched with FC than I ever did with PK. I'll be going back to ProKote after these bottles of FC are gone. I'm getting better and quicker with my application, but I still prefer the ability to be leisurely about it.

Do you use a power wrapper? I feel like my application got much easier and better when I started applying at about 80-100 rpms.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: January 09, 2017 08:21AM

The RodMaker issue before last detailed a tool that allows you to dial in the pot life of an epoxy. It works by cooling the epoxy (not the room) while in the mixed stage.

Posted by: Donald La Mar (---.lightspeed.lsvlky.sbcglobal.net)
Date: January 09, 2017 11:15AM

Never experienced lumpiness with ProKote. Recently found a set aside supply of the build build flavor of ProKote that was so old the hardener was beyond yellow and well onto amber / light brown. Brought both parts to room temperature, microwaved only the resin for 9 seconds, mixed for 4 minutes in the electric, finish epoxy mixer, and applied to a rod's test wraps. There was no problem. The high build flavor of ProKote has a less generous open time than the medium viscosity and can be surprising the first time you use it.

Posted by: Norman Miller (---.lightspeed.jcsnms.sbcglobal.net)
Date: January 09, 2017 12:58PM

ProKote has one of the longest working time of any finish I have used. Unless you are heating it to much or you are extremely slow. Shelf life for all the finishes I have used is extremely long. So I find it hard to believe that your problem is related to working time or shelf life. Is it possible that you cross contaminated your containers of finish with a small amount of one part with the other? This may cause a small amount of gelling to occur before mixing, This slightly gelled clot of finish would thin out when warmed. Just a thought.
Norm

Posted by: Mark Talmo (---.dsl.lsan03.sbcglobal.net)
Date: January 09, 2017 02:38PM

Norman brought up a good point concerning cross-contamination. Through many years of epoxy use, I have adopted procedures to avoid that possibility. Keep each syringe in separate Ziploc bags identified with either red or blue writing so when stored there is no chance of contaminating each other. Immediately return to the bag after measuring a bath and wiping clean. Never use the same paper towel to wipe the syringes or bottles. Never use the same mixing stick (hopefully no need to include the cup) for an additional batch as the epoxy from the first batch has started to set-up and will throw off the preceding batch in time, strength and other issues.
While not experiencing the problems John stated, I have noticed a slight difference in the working properties since first opened but am still pleased with ProKote’s performance overall. I have not tried any other, it was the brand purchased when starting to wrap, it works, so why change?

Mark Talmo
FISHING IS NOT AN ESCAPE FROM LIFE BUT RATHER A DEEPER IMMERSION INTO IT!!! BUILDING YOUR OWN SIMPLY ENHANCES THE EXPERIENCE.

Posted by: Mud Hole Custom Tackle (---.se.biz.rr.com)
Date: January 10, 2017 02:35PM

John,
Pro Kote is sensitive to cold. Particularly the resin, check your bottle of Resin to see if it has crystallized. This is very common in colder Winter months. If the resin has crystalized it can be warmed, and as it heats up you will visibly see it change back to its original clear state. Based on the situation you are describing, the situation I just described could be the culprit, otherwise it sound like there may have been some cross contamination with the Activator possibly.

Feel free to give our tech support a call or email if you would like to troubleshoot further.

Regards.
Team Mud Hole Custom Tackle
Web: [www.mudhole.com]
Email: sales@mudhole.com
Toll Free Phone #: 1-866-790-RODS (7637)

Stay Connected with us:
FaceBook: [www.facebook.com]
YouTube: [www.youtube.com]
Instagram: [www.instagram.com]
Tik Tok: Tik Tok: [www.tiktok.com]
Twitter: @mudholetackle

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster