I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

2 questions
Posted by: Warren (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: November 14, 2001 06:10PM

Well the resident dummie is once again forced to prove the title. I see listings for Hot Shot blanks. What pray tell is hot shot fishing and for what species of fish?
Question #2 has to do with Hybrid Striped Bass. I think I know that they're a cross between a White/Sandbass & of course a Striper. I think I know that they grow pretty fast but not to really large(over 10lbs?).I also think Iknow that they fight like crazy and are pretty easy to catch when located. Does anyone know of a book/pamphlet or something that I can get some good detailed info from? Thanks in advance. Warren.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: 2 questions
Posted by: William (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: November 14, 2001 07:21PM

Hybrid bass are the result of a male white [not sand] bass and a female striped bass. In the Southeast they generally grow fast and up to about 30 lbs before they die, which is usually about 6 or 7 years total lifespan. They usually grow at the rate of about 4 lbs per year.

Don't know a thing about hot shot fishing.

Posted by: Rick Gilman (---.tnt3.poughkeepsie.ny.da.uu.net)
Date: November 14, 2001 08:29PM

This is a quote from the g. loomis catalog. Hot Shotting for steelhead, the angler positions the boat at the head of a run and allows the current to pull the plug down to the fish zone near the bottom. The boat then sweeps across the current so the plug can cover the entire width of the river.lure action is monitored by watching the wiggle of the rod tip as the lure digs for bottom in a side to side moton.when a fish hits the magnum butt section sets the hook. These rods have light to medium tips and magnum power butt section. this techneque was designed for steelhead plugs like the hotshot.

Posted by: Roert Balcombe (REELMAN) (---.gh.centurytel.net)
Date: November 15, 2001 04:47AM

In the North West, Washington State when Salmon and Steelhead are in the rivers we use a crank bait called a Hot Shot they can be trolled or cast. They come in various sizes and numerous colors. Hot shot blanks have soft acttion on the tip and heavy power in the buut end. I hope this clears some of the muddied water for you.
What is great about this site is you find the same rod is used in differnt areas for differnt fish

Posted by: Kerry (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: November 18, 2001 04:59AM

A "hot shot" is a plug type lure like storm "wiggle worts" or flat fish or numerous other types. generally run shorter in length than rapalla (sp). look in a Cabelas fishing catalog.

Kerry

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster