I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Cleaning finishing brushes
Posted by: Mark Talmo (---.dsl.lsan03.sbcglobal.net)
Date: January 05, 2017 02:41PM

I used to clean my disposable brushes in acetone until Roger told me of the children’s craft brushes at Wal-Mart. A 30 pack cost $.99, or a tic over $.03/ea. They look similar to the ones purchased at most of the rod building supply shops but have approximately 20% fewer bristles. Maybe the ones in Roger’s link here have more bristles. They work fine, after all, we are not really “brushing” the finish on but rather simply utilizing the brush as a vehicle to get the epoxy from the cup to the wrap. While basically adverse to anything disposable due to the environmental ramifications, I can now reduce using acetone with its environmental issues. Plus I am a self-admitted cheap bas*^#d. Thanks Roger!
While I cannot say Donald is wrong with his statement concerning acetone, there are many worse, more dangerous chemicals like the xylene found in U-40 Permagloss, but nobody mentions these. I do not understand why so many rod builders are so negative about acetone. I can purchase acetone here in California but NOT xylene, tolulene and a host of others. I still have a 4 month old scar on my hand from a single drop of PG yet have experienced zero ill effects from over 20 years in the composite industry where we almost bathe in acetone.

Mark Talmo
FISHING IS NOT AN ESCAPE FROM LIFE BUT RATHER A DEEPER IMMERSION INTO IT!!! BUILDING YOUR OWN SIMPLY ENHANCES THE EXPERIENCE.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Lynn Behler (---.97.252.156.res-cmts.leh.ptd.net)
Date: January 05, 2017 03:18PM

I'm with Mark here. Acetone is the first ingredient in nail polish remover, and is also used as film cleaner in the printing industry where it is dispensed from spray cans as well as bottles. Works nicely to thin finish also. (even when they tell you not to)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/05/2017 03:22PM by Lynn Behler.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: January 05, 2017 04:38PM

Chuck,
In addition to your comment about brushes being the wrong size.

I always have my thread nipping scissors handy. If one of the disposable brushes is too big - as for micro guides : a few snips of the scissors adjust the size of the disposable brush to what is needed.

One of the problems that I had with some of the more expensive brushes that I purchased when I first started building was the fact that sometimes the brushes were too stiff, or too limp. I also had issues with some brushes losing bristles at the least opportune time.

But, since switching to the 6 cent nylon bristled brush brushes; the stiffness is just right and I never lose bristles during the use of the brush.

Since I have no issues at all with the 6 cent brushes, it just makes sense to continue to use them to apply guide finish on the rods.

p.s. I also tried using a spatula to apply finish when I first read about it, but gave up after having very limited success with the spatula. I know that there are many many folks that use a spatula to apply finish very successfully. I have tried enough to know that I will not pursue that venue any further.

Good luck

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/05/2017 04:41PM by roger wilson.

Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---.res.bhn.net)
Date: January 05, 2017 04:49PM

Try using a little spatula to apply epoxy. They are easy to use and apply epoxy more precisely than a brush. You can pick up an assortment of stainless made-in-Pakistan spatulas and "dental tools" in a flea market for a couple of bucks. They will outlive you and are a cinch to clean. You will find many other rod-building applications for these knock-off dental tools.

Date: January 05, 2017 06:29PM

For what it's worth this post makes my top 100 list. I also have a list for the worst 100. Hee! Some of us appear in both!

Posted by: Roger Templon (---.aoo.pa.atlanticbb.net)
Date: January 06, 2017 05:14AM

Jon

U40 hands down !!!

Rog

Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net)
Date: January 06, 2017 05:38PM

I am with Mark and Lynn on the Acetone issue. The fear of Acetone is largely a non-sequitur as it is a naturally occurring product even in the human body. The body sheds itself quite rapidly of Acetone and breaks it down internally naturally without damage unless in massive doses.

That said, I would not suggest breathing it in heavy doses for prolong periods of time, as it can irritate nose and mouth membranes.

Date: January 06, 2017 08:08PM

Please don't minimize the hazards of any products that you might use to build a rod.

For example, here is the MDS label for Acetone.

[physics.utsa.edu]

This is absolutely a liquid that needs to be treated with care and caution in both its use and room ventilation when you use it.

As stated in the .pdf, it is also a highly flammable liquid as well as a liquid that has fumes that are very hazardous to one's health and lungs.

If you do not have very good ventilation in your work area - don't use it. Rather take the taks out of doors so that you do have good ventilation to use this product.

Good luck

Posted by: Matthew Pitrowski (---.lightspeed.milwwi.sbcglobal.net)
Date: January 07, 2017 03:21AM

I use disposable brushes when I can at the price for them you just toss them. For my art brushes when need to be cleaned and care for the art brushes, I went to the local pharmacy and asked the druggist for a couple of medium size pill containers with the reversible screw on tops and drilled a hole to hold the brush suspended in the solvent and use 3 types of solvents acetone, U40 cleaner and alcohol the brushes fit snug on the holes so little or no evaporation of solvents and the acetone doesn't melt the type of plastic they are made of unscrew the top and pull the brush out of the solvent in to a towel and push the cap up on the brush shaft so you don't enlarge the hole and they last for years . other times I prefer to use a spatula, I also mix my epoxies with a piece of stainless rod and the same for the finish less bubbling and no possibility of contaminating the the mix .
large pill bottles work great for storing silk winding threads
I will post some pictures of making your own thread tension device soon cheap and works as well or better than a purchased one

The best day to be alive is always tomorrow !!
Think out side the box when all else fails !!!
Wi.

Date: January 07, 2017 02:10PM

You are correct Roger. However, I don't need data sheets. My wife can smell 5 parts per million of anything that remotely stinks, and I shall be outside!

Date: January 07, 2017 10:51PM

Roger, you are certainly correct in being cautious with any chemical. Now, be fair and pull up a MDS on the xylene found in PG and tell me which is worse! As stated earlier, my point is many rod builders bad-mouth acetone while thinking nothing of using other products in our craft containing compounds which are much, much worse!

Mark Talmo
FISHING IS NOT AN ESCAPE FROM LIFE BUT RATHER A DEEPER IMMERSION INTO IT!!! BUILDING YOUR OWN SIMPLY ENHANCES THE EXPERIENCE.

Date: January 08, 2017 12:25AM

Mark,
I routinely use both Acetone as well as Xylene when I build rods.

I am very aware of the dangers in using these solvents, but have excellent ventilation for its use and have excellent results to do what I need to do with both solvents.

Good luck

Date: January 08, 2017 02:16PM

Ventilation is only one safety issue to be considered and applied. Hopefully this sparks some concern and caution with others concerning the safe use, and storage for that matter, of all compounds and chemicals we use, possible without even realizing their dangers. I am looking at the scar on my hand from that one, wayward drop of U40 Permagloss.
Within the MDS for acetone provided by Roger, under Potential Chronic Health Effects: “Pre-existing respiratory diseases, liver or kidney dysfunctions, or central nervous system disorders may be aggravated by exposure”. “First Aid Measures – SKIN: Wash off immediately with soap and plenty of water… Obtain medical attention”.
Since Roger elected to not supply a requested similar MDS for xylene, I will afford the following one. The correlated sections read: Potential Chronic Health Effects: “The substance may be toxic to blood, kidneys, liver, mucous membranes, bone marrow, central nervous system. Repeated or prolonged exposure to the substance can produce target organ damage”. “First Aid Measures – SKIN: Wash with a disinfectant soap and cover the contaminated skin with an antibacterial cream. Seek immediate medical attention”.
There is a HUGE DIFFERENCE between the “Pre-existing conditions may be aggravated by exposure”, “Wash with soap and water”, “Obtain medical attention” of ACETONE VS the “May be toxic to blood, kidneys, liver, mucous membranes, bone marrow, central nervous system”, “… Can produce target organ damage”, “Wash with a disinfectant soap and cover with antibacterial cream”, “Obtain immediate medical attention” of XYLENE!!!
Just be careful!!!!!!!

Mark Talmo

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster