I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Power wrapper thread tray modification
Posted by: Jon Salter (73.248.94.---)
Date: January 03, 2017 07:42PM

Didn't care for the stock version....
[i645.photobucket.com]

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Power wrapper thread tray modification
Posted by: Mark Talmo (---.dsl.lsan03.sbcglobal.net)
Date: January 03, 2017 08:42PM

OK, I don’t either. What are your preferences?

Mark Talmo
FISHING IS NOT AN ESCAPE FROM LIFE BUT RATHER A DEEPER IMMERSION INTO IT!!! BUILDING YOUR OWN SIMPLY ENHANCES THE EXPERIENCE.

Posted by: Jon Salter (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: January 03, 2017 09:17PM

Huh Mark? Didn't you see the pic?

Posted by: Gib Portwood (---.lightspeed.rcsntx.sbcglobal.net)
Date: January 03, 2017 09:46PM

Jon Salter Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Didn't care for the stock version....
> [i645.photobucket.com]
> /20170103_191144_zpsbexrpa4b.jpg

I am interested to hear your opinion on that tensioner rod and the magnifying glass. We have them both. It would be interesting if you have the same or similar thoughts as me.

Father to William (15 yrs), who I hope has found his passion in custom rod building!

Date: January 03, 2017 10:03PM

I like them so far. light on the magnifier is not very bright though...as far as the tension rod....I like that I can back off a few wraps if I need to while keeping the thread tight.

I like them so far. light on the magnifier is not very bright though...as far as the tension rod....I like that I can back off a few wraps if I need to while keeping the thread tight.

Posted by: Donald La Mar (---.lightspeed.lsvlky.sbcglobal.net)

Well, it's certainly inventive.

Does the light and magnifying glass weight have any adverse impact on the thread trolley?

How is the tensioner mounted to the trolley?

Date: January 03, 2017 10:09PM

Weight doesn't seem to impact the trolley....drilled a hole and glued that sucker in there!

Date: January 03, 2017 10:11PM

Oh and I have the thread going through the small eye screws before the tensioner, although I'm really not sure if I need to....it's just out in the picture for some reason?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/03/2017 10:12PM by Jon Salter.

Posted by: Gib Portwood (---.mycingular.net)
Date: January 03, 2017 10:12PM

Jon Salter Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I like them so far. light on the magnifier is not
> very bright though...as far as the tension
> rod....I like that I can back off a few wraps if I
> need to while keeping the thread tight.

I have had to replace the tensioner practically after every build. Not every one, but it seems to break fairly easily, and it's annoying to have to order the same $5 part three times.

I also agree on the light. It's good but I thought it would be better. But ithe lens doesn't seem to want to move and stay into the position we most need it. A big magnifying lamp would be better I think, but I don't know what those cost to know the comparative value of the $30 or so dollar tray attachment magnifier.

Father to William (15 yrs), who I hope has found his passion in custom rod building!

Date: January 03, 2017 10:17PM

What are you doing to the tensioner to break it? Are you routing the thread correctly? Too much spool tension? Seems odd to break several.

Posted by: Mark Talmo (---.dsl.lsan03.sbcglobal.net)
Date: January 03, 2017 11:16PM

Jon,
Sorry, I misread your initial post. My hat is off to anyone with the incentive and ability to fabricate something to their own specs. It sounds like you and Gib are unsatisfied with the magnifier/lamp. I was interested in purchasing the same unit due to it being battery powered rather than having an electrical cord fouling my work station. If you guys are dissatisfied, I guess I’ll look elseware. I have had difficulty locating a battery powered, gooseneck magnifier for my fossilized eyes. If you would like, I will inform you if and when I find something.

Mark Talmo
FISHING IS NOT AN ESCAPE FROM LIFE BUT RATHER A DEEPER IMMERSION INTO IT!!! BUILDING YOUR OWN SIMPLY ENHANCES THE EXPERIENCE.

Posted by: Steve Monroe (---.kya.res.rr.com)
Date: January 03, 2017 11:58PM

I did something similar. I used a piece of wire used to make spinner baits. The wire is about 12" i made a loop on one end and a long z bend on the other end. I drilled a hole in the carrage between the spool holders and inserted the z bend. I run the thread to the loop on the tentioner, down to the eye on the carrage, then to the rod. Imprved the performance when power wrapping and allows you to back up when hand wrapping. Best thing I have done.

Posted by: John Wright (---.om.om.cox.net)
Date: January 04, 2017 01:19AM

I've built several carriers and have one in design right now. I use wire I bought on line. Its a spring type wire. Pretty much the same procedure Steve discussed. My carriers are made from wood so I drill a hole in the top of the piece holding the thread tension device and super glue it in place. I have one I've been using for about 3 years now and never broken the wire. I have some photos in my post on packing weaves.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: January 04, 2017 12:27PM

Jon,
This is the setup that I use when building ice fishing rods.

[www.rodbuilding.org]

The light is a Halogen swing arm light that I keep pretty close to the rod, so I have intense light on the rod and thread.

The light and the thread is behind the rod, so it is never in the way. I use a very simple sewing machine style spring loaded tension washers for the non metallic thread that I use for wrapping. As I wrap, the nylon base thread stand simply slides back and forth on the rod bench with no issue.

For magnification, I use a head band mounted magnifier. To have the correct focal length for ease of building, I use my single vision computer glasses that give me a magnified focal distance of about 15 inches which I find ideal for working.

[www.amazon.com]

Although I normally wear trifocals, the use of single vision computer screen distance glasses in conjunction with the head band mounted magnifier makes seeing the wraps easy and crystal clear.

The key thing to have excellent detail work vision is adequate light.

[www.bristolite.com]

Notice that for the work that we do while building rods, falls into the bottom category - which calls for 1500 foot candles of light on the work.
This, in contrast to a general office environment of 30 foot candles.

So, this is 50 times brighter light on the rod - compared to general office lighting.

By the way, I never use any spring loaded tension devices on my wrapper. I simply don't want any variation in the thread tension. I have a reversing switch on my wrapper. If I make a mistake, I flip the reversing switch, grab the thread and hit the foot pedal to back up the rod. Then, I will reposition the thread in the tension device to maintain the tension. If I have backed up a long way, I will spin the thread spool to take up the slack from backing up.

Lots of different ways to wrap.

But, as the chart points out - lots and lots of very good lighting is important to do a good job and to minimize eye strain.

Be safe

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster