I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Srf70mmf surf spinner k concept
Posted by: Jim Sarc (---.nycmny.fios.verizon.net)
Date: January 02, 2017 10:13PM

Hi guys- this is my first post. I have built boat and surf rods for personal use I n the past, but want to try a smaller rod using the KR concept. I've been reading quite a bit about how to size and layout the guides but still have a few questions I hope I can get some help with. Using the KR GPS software it sizes the guides at 16H, 8H, and 5.5M. It also mentions 3 running guides but does not specify size. The rod will have a Van Staal VSX150 and 15 pound braid. A few specific questions:
- I believe I can use the RV16H first. For the second guide KLH size 8 and then KLM 5.5. Am I interpreting this correctly? If I didn't want to use single foot guides for the 8 and 5.5 is there a Fuji guide with the correct height for this concept or do I need to stay with single foot?
- i believe the above is referred to as the reduction train. Is this correct? Is the 5.5 the choker?
- after the KLM5.5 it says 3 running guides. I would think that the first would be a KB but is this sized at 5.5 also? The next 2 guides would be KT again size 5.5 also? I would think I need to do a static bend test to see if another running guide is appropriate.
- For the tip, the blank specifies size 7 tube. I will measure to verify the blank. If the set up above is correct, I believe I need to get a MN or F top per the recommendation and assume it would be a 5.5 also? The issue I see here is that for a size 7 tube, the MN would be a choice between a 5.0 or 6.0 ring. For the F tip the smallest tip would be 7.0.
I will not be passing knots through the guides if this is relevant.

Appreciate your help.
Jim

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Srf70mmf surf spinner k concept
Posted by: Norman Miller (---.lightspeed.jcsnms.sbcglobal.net)
Date: January 03, 2017 12:26AM

How long Is the rod and what are it's listed power and action? What species of fish are you targeting? I am assuming the blank is 6' MH with moderate fast action based on guide number and tip top size. To answer one of your questions the reduction train includes the KLM5.5, the choke guide is the first running guide. I have built a lot of KR spin rods, but have not built one with an RV guide as a stripper. However, I do know that the height of a RV16 (36.2 mm) is lower than that of a KLH16 (43.3 mm). Is there any reason why you want to use double foot guides for your reduction train? The RV strippers are heavy duty and are used on longer heavy duty saltwater rods and surf rods, not for lighter or shorter inshore rods. If you want to use double ft guides, then you will have to rethink your guide selections. You could use an RV20, a KW12M, and a KW10, these guides are very similar in height to the KLH16, KLH8, and KLM 5.5. But using these guides takes a little away from the high frame small ring KR concept and will be heavier. The runners could be any size you want. If I were building this rod I would use the single foot reduction guides with size 5 or 4.5 KB/KT runners, and probably use an extra runner. I would use a tip top with a 5 or 4.5 ring. Since your tip top tube size is 7, it might be hard to find a tiptop with a small ring. I use these single ft KR guides on my light inshore rods and like them a lot. Finally, I am not sure of the overall size of the Van Staal reel, but I suspect that it may be larger and heavier duty than most 1500-2000 sized reel. If so and if you ever what to use 20lb or heavier braid or.mono you could up the size of the KR reduction guides to KLH20, KLH10, and KLM5.5. This will not affect casting lighter line but will help with heavier braid or mono.
Norm

Posted by: Jim Sarc (---.cws.sco.cisco.com)
Date: January 03, 2017 01:00PM

Hi Norm- thanks for the reply. The rod is 7 feet and is a Medium power, Moderate fast action. I am going to target striped bass and bluefish mainly. I was concerned about the single foot guide and potentially bending them if I used it on a boat and stored it there. It will also be used in the surf (light bucktails, back bay). I appreciate your recommending staying with the KL guides and pointing out if I wanted to change to heavier braid that I should upsize. The Van Staal 150 is a bigger reel with a larger spool diameter than most 2000 sized reels. I'm not sure if that will have a effect. When I used the KR GPS software, changing the reel size did not change any guide sizes. So I will go with KLH20, KLH10, KLM 5.5 and then run KB4.5, KT4.5, KT4.5, KT4.5, KT4.5 and tip. (Will static test and cast to tune). Since I have the size 7 tube, you mentioned it may be hard to find a 4.5 or 5 tip. If I am not able to locate a tip with the correct ring size, will that adversely affect the performance of the running train? Not sure what builders do when they have this issue.I see that Fuji makes a tube 7, ring 5 "MN" tip with Alconite. I'm not sure how that is compared to SIC or Torzite in salt water. Any input? Thanks.

Posted by: Jim Sarc (---.cws.sco.cisco.com)
Date: January 03, 2017 01:00PM

Double post-edited

Date: January 03, 2017 01:33PM

Jim, the single foot KR guides should work fine, I have caught redfish up to 30 lbs on them, plus some good size jacks and small sharks, no problems. Yea, after I posted I saw that you had the blank mentioned in the subject box, I overlooked it. Do you have an extra long handle? I can not get three runners with the GPS using a 7' blank, that is why I thought the blank was short. When I use the KR GPS using rod length of 84", butt to spool tip 14", reel size 3000, and braid 20-30, I get 20H, 10H, and 5.5M for the reduction train and 5 guides for runners. This should be pretty close to what you want. At the very most might need an extra runner. The MN tiptop with a 5 ring is a perfect match for what you want. The wrapping tang will give some extra security. There is nothing wrong with alconite rings, like all ceramic rings you can not scratch them with a hacksaw blade or metal file so they will hold up just fine. All tiptops are prone to cracking or popping out so they are less expensive to replace. Hope this helps.
Norm

Posted by: Jim Sarc (---.nycmny.fios.verizon.net)
Date: January 03, 2017 05:23PM

Thanks Norm. I made a mistake on the blank length when I punched it in. I'm going to follow your recommendations. I appreciate your help!
One last question- I would think I size the runners at 5- sound good?
Jim

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/03/2017 05:25PM by Jim Sarc.

Date: January 03, 2017 05:46PM

The size 5 runners are good. Might even be better than 4.5s for what you are doing. Still very light and will pass any knot if needed, and will match the MN tiptop. This KR setup will will give the rod light and responsive feel and will cast and handle fish extremely well, I think you will extremely happy with the performance of this guide train. Good luck with the build.
Norm

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster