I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Microwave Guides on Drop Shot Rod
Posted by: Charlie Visek (---.client.mchsi.com)
Date: January 02, 2017 04:17PM

This is my first new post. I live near Cedar Rapids, IA. I've wrapped several rods. None over a $100 price point. I'd like to build a 6' 10" drop shot rod. Here's what I plan to use; an Immortal blank, a reversed Aero reel seat so fingers are forward the reel foot and cork split handle. My question is do I dare use a Microwave set with Durolite rings (that I already have) for this use? I will normally join #15 braid to #6 fluoro with an alberto knot. Yes, I know the FG is a better knot with a lower profile but more of a pain for me to tie. I just leave the tag ends of the fluoro at the knot a bit longer so they pass through guides better. Thanks guys.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Microwave Guides on Drop Shot Rod
Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: January 02, 2017 04:35PM

Charlie,
Great ideas on the build.
Out of curiosity, why do you want to reverse the Aero Reel seat? When the Aero reel seat is in its normal position, the contour and size of the reel seat, when mated to an equally well shaped rear grip make the rod a joy to hold in the hand.

However, to each his own.

I might suggest that if you choose to use a leader, just make the length of the leader a bit shorter than the length of the rod, so that you do not have to run any knots through the guides. I have done this for years and never have issues with knots.

Another option is to use braid to the hook or lure with no leader and have no issues with knots, since there are no knots in the line.
But, yes, the guides you mention will work very well with that blank and you should have good success with the rod.

By the way, a couple of pictures of Aero reel seats that I did several years ago, as another possibility.

[www.rodbuilding.org]

[www.rodbuilding.org]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/02/2017 04:37PM by roger wilson.

Posted by: Lynn Behler (---.97.252.156.res-cmts.leh.ptd.net)
Date: January 02, 2017 05:07PM

You won't have any problems with the knot.

Date: January 02, 2017 05:08PM

Thanks for your reply Roger.

I saw on this board a few years back that someone had tried reversing the Aero reel seat. With that I removed a handle from a Veritas spinning rod and installed a handle from the butt end with a reversed Aero. I really enjoy the foregrip position for drop shotting or ned rigging. I've made this swap on most of my M spinning rods. Seems to save on my shoulder while using these techniques. Thought it was just time to do a dedicated drop shot rod.

I like to do DS from an elevated shoreline at a shallow lake and spool with a yellow or pink #15 braid for visibility. I would however use a current rod for bank fishing and not the new rod. At least not right away.

Do you have an quality opinion on the SB822.5 vs. REVS610MXF? Approximately $30 difference.

Date: January 02, 2017 05:12PM

Thanks Lynn, good to know. When I used to fish with a slip bobber we left the tag ends over a 1/4" inch or longer on the bobber stop. The line wouldn't hang up on the guides during casts.

Posted by: Thomas Kaufmann (107.77.83.---)
Date: January 02, 2017 05:33PM

Nothing wrong with the microwaves for that build but have you considered minima's? I think it would make a difference you could feel in hand

Date: January 02, 2017 05:41PM

As I said, "do I dare use a Microwave set with Durolite rings (that I already have) for this use?" Don't really want to buy another set if these should work fine.

Date: January 02, 2017 05:50PM

I also agree with Thomas 100%. But if you have the microwaves in hand and are going nuts to get started, go for it. If you don't mind waiting for an order to get to you. Get Minimas and save the Microwaves for a build where they might be of more benefit from a line taming aspect. Minimas are light and the rings are bigger in the same size guide.

Date: January 02, 2017 06:11PM

Appreciate your comments guys. I guess another consideration to use what I have is use of a rod sock and playing well with casting rods when bundled in a tight locker. Forgive me if I was a bit abrupt, the Hawkeyes just got stomped by a just decent Florida offense in the Outback Bowl. I guess I should be used to it by now.

Date: January 02, 2017 08:55PM

I'm a Phillies fan, you'll get over it.

Date: January 02, 2017 11:57PM

Thomas, Lynn, what Minimas? The 4 series in single or double foot?

Posted by: Michael Danek (50.36.229.---)
Date: January 03, 2017 08:16AM

Reversed aeros work great for this kind of build. With the big ramp going off the front instead of threads, it is very comfortable. If you want to use the Microwaves because you already have them, do it; it will work fine. I would use a premium grade tiptop as that is where any grooving will start.

Date: January 03, 2017 08:50AM

Thanks Michael. Totally agree with a good tiptop. I have since been looking at wrapping Minima's using the NGC system.

Is the choker guide the same as the running guides?
Anyone have a guide recipe for a 6' 10" drop shot rod using a 1500 size reel? I don't want to buy a bunch of sizes I'll never use.

Posted by: Michael Danek (50.36.229.---)
Date: January 03, 2017 09:37AM

Photo link below to a reversed Aero.

[www.rodbuilding.org]

Posted by: Thomas Kaufmann (107.77.83.---)
Date: January 03, 2017 11:14AM

Minima 4's. Single foot

Posted by: Don @ American Tackle (---.biz.bhn.net)
Date: January 03, 2017 02:34PM

I would stay with the MicroWaves....

1. You have them
2. They are quiet

The uplocking Aero seat is very popular.... I have found that 40% or so of the people that try it prefer it uplocking.

800-516-1750 ext. 1207 / don@americantackle.us

Rod Building..... It's What We Do.

Date: January 03, 2017 04:04PM

Thanks Don. That helps.

Posted by: Norman Miller (---.lightspeed.jcsnms.sbcglobal.net)
Date: January 04, 2017 08:01PM

The microwaves will do just fine for the rod you are building. if you are interested in trying the Minima guides to see how they perform go ahead an refurbish one of your older spinning rods. This will allow you to try these guides without investing in a new blank. Try the Minima match (M) guides for the reduction train coupled with Minima fly (F) guides as runners. Group the reduction guide sizes according to Fuji KR microguide concept. For example, 16M, 8M, and 6M, or 20M,10M and 6M as reduction guides, depending on reel size and line used. I used size 4 F runners. I did this with one of my old light action rods that I did not like. The minima guides completely transformed that rod into something that was a pleasure to fish; it casted and felt much better. These guides will give you one of the lightest guide trains possible. They make the rod lighter and more responsive with increased sensitivity. The entire set of minima M/F guides used on this rod weigh less than a single duralite Microwave stripper.
Norm

Date: January 04, 2017 08:58PM

Norm, thanks for taking the time to reply. Wow, that's light weight. I like it, I already ordered Minimas for the DS blank and a 6'2" ML both in Revelation series. Funny you say refurbish, I scraped 6'6" ML rod I didn't like today and I'll put the Microwave set on that one. I also scraped a AG Vengance MH spinning rod I never used. I plan to convert it to a MH deep crankbait rod. Seems to load about right. Looks like they weren't that concerned with the spine (spline) position when it was factory wrapped..

I'll follow your advice (recipe) and look forward to a better feel and performance on three rods.

The members of Rodbuilding.org have been very friendly with replies to my posts. I spent much of the day reading about the Simple Spiral and alternatives to that concept. Very interesting, but many words spent on altering a single concept that seemed to work fine as created. If I did one I think my buddies would think I was using a 2-pc rod which would be bad enough, but not aligning it straight would just add to their heckling. Thus the difficulty in acceptance.

Posted by: Norman Miller (---.lightspeed.jcsnms.sbcglobal.net)
Date: January 04, 2017 09:31PM

If you have questions be sure to post. We are all happy to help.
Norm

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster