I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Surf Spinning Reels
Posted by: Mark Talmo (---.dsl.lsan03.sbcglobal.net)
Date: December 31, 2016 11:58PM

HAPPY NEW YEAR TO ALL!!!
While realizing this is a (no, excuse me, that should be “THE”) rod building website, I would appreciate your feedback, suggestions, opinions on surf spinning reels. I have never surf-fished before but am in need of purchasing a reel prior to rebuilding this vintage Conolon FG rod. I am uncertain if I’ll be throwing “8 & bait” or jigs, but probably both while learning. A 3000 series seems the best for me, possible a 4000. Being the cheap bas*^#d I am, I would like to keep the cost under $100.00 but if finding a half-off sale, might spend $150.00. I realize I cannot expect the best materials/quality for that price, but one thing appreciated is a drag of 20+lbs. Whacha got?

Mark Talmo
FISHING IS NOT AN ESCAPE FROM LIFE BUT RATHER A DEEPER IMMERSION INTO IT!!! BUILDING YOUR OWN SIMPLY ENHANCES THE EXPERIENCE.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Surf Spinning Reels
Posted by: Capt. Michael Harmon (107.77.76.---)
Date: January 01, 2017 09:35AM

Raise your price limit. I do a lot of surf fishing in the NE. You don't want a cheap reel that you will be replacing in short time. Surf fishing will test your equipment limits. In your price range check out Fin nor reels, Penn spinfisher V reels, also check out some used fishing gear sites. Happy new year!

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: January 01, 2017 10:02AM

Often you find that a company's $100 reels are made with the same internal parts and pieces that the same company's $400 reels are made from. You don't have to spend a fortune, but I'd stay above the $75 price point regardless.

Date: January 01, 2017 10:19AM

I agree Tom the internal parts are important but if water is allowed to breach the body the internal parts are worthless. Weight is also important when you cast for hours with a long rod. I've used cheap reels and expensive reels. My expensive reels(VS) are years old and have been laid in sand and submerged and they work as good as the day I bought them. My favorite low cost surf reel is the Penn spinfisher V. It has some weight to it but its size coupled with its water resistant body make it a great deal...IMO.

Posted by: larry basilio (---.phlapa.fios.verizon.net)
Date: January 01, 2017 10:28AM

Mark, don't cheep out , hate to lose that big striper on a cheep reel . happy new year , start the year off right.

Posted by: Norman Miller (---.lightspeed.jcsnms.sbcglobal.net)
Date: January 01, 2017 11:20AM

Another thing, a size 3000 reel is very small for a surf reel, and a 4000 is pushing the lower end. A very long cast will almost drain these reels of line. Do not know what the length or rating is for your rod, the conditions you are going to fish, or the species being targeted. If you will be throwing 8 oz+ with other fishermen around I would seriously consider a larger reel, at least a 5000. However, if you are fishing light surf condition, with lighter lures for smaller speciers a smaller reel is ok. Most of the major manufacturers make a decent reel in the $100 - $150 reel. Penn has been making saltwater reels for a long time and they are used by a lot surf fishermen.
Norm

Posted by: Dennis Danku (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: January 01, 2017 11:46AM

Check out the New TSUNAMI SHIELD.

Dennis J. Danku
(Sayreville,NJ)

Date: January 01, 2017 12:45PM

Dennis, I saw an ad for that reel. Have you held one yet? Curious if it's heavy in the hand. I hope to check one out soon.

Date: January 01, 2017 12:51PM

I agree with Norman. For bait casting 6-8oz lead use a 4000 or 5000 size reel. A popular reel for that application in my neck of the woods is the Penn 704z or 706. It's a bit heavy and has a very large spool but very tough and very easy to work on.

Posted by: Russell Brunt (---.lightspeed.miamfl.sbcglobal.net)
Date: January 01, 2017 12:54PM

Do yourself a favor and buy a decent quality reel with adequate line capacity. The size reels you are talking about are way too small for surfcasting. They are "inshore" reels.

Tackle direct has the Daiwa Emblem Pro on sale right now. $129 for a reel that is considered a good buy at 200. They are a popular choice for surf casting.

Russ in Hollywood, FL.

Posted by: David Miller (---.triad.res.rr.com)
Date: January 01, 2017 01:22PM

Check out the Shimano Spheros SW in 5000 to 8000 in size depending on needs.I bought a barely used demo 5000 for a good price and it is perfect for surf fishing. It holds about 275 yards of 14 fire line fuse braid on it and appropriate lb shock leader. I have used up to 7 and bait with no issues but I also use and recommend with any spinning reel casting heavy weight is the breakaway canon casting aid. The older moldel of Spheros the FA and FB have also been reliable and can be had for a good price but if you can find a deal on the sw for a little bit more I would highly recommend it.

Posted by: Jim Genova (---.nc.res.rr.com)
Date: January 01, 2017 02:33PM

I have recently bought a Penn 704 Z on @#$%& for $125. It was not new, but my other 704 is over 30 years old and still performs like new. I expect this one to do the same. At least I know that I can wade into the surf, make a long cast, walk back up to my sand spike, and have confidence that I still have plenty of line on my reel in reserve.

Posted by: Donald Becker (---.hawaiiantel.net)
Date: January 01, 2017 02:36PM

Russell Brunt Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Tackle direct has the Daiwa Emblem Pro on sale right now. $129 for a reel that is considered a
> good buy at 200. They are a popular choice for surf casting.

The Emblem Pro WAS considered an entry level spinning reel for tournament casting. I have not kept up with current models.
When the Emblem Pro was not available, the Daiwa Emcast was used. The Emcast meets your first target price.

Do not buy a reel with a long spool as the axel/spindles tend to bend under heavy load.

Both the Emblem Pro and Emcast should have parts available and they are reels with a long track record. The Emblem Pro was the preferred reel.

Also, when you have sizes like 4000, 4500, 5000, 5500, 6000, two of the same sizes may use the same reel body. You might be able to to buy a 5500 reel and spare spool for a 6000 that fits the 5500 reel. Use the 5500 for braid and the 6000 spool when you need extra capacity for mono. You can minimize weight by using the smallest reel body that gets the job done. You will probably need to talk with your tackle shop to determine what matches up.

Should you desire to cast heavier weights, your reel seat should be up locking.

Hope this helps,
Don

Don Becker

Date: January 01, 2017 03:30PM

All excellent information from you guys as I have become reliant upon. I will probably end up with the Penn SSV6500 but considering the Daiwa Emblem Pro as well. $129.00 seems like a good deal for the Daiwa and I love my Saltist 2-speed. Thanks, Russell.
Donald, good advice concerning up-locking reel seats for casting heavy weight. I typically build seats down-locking on light, fresh water rods to avoid hand contact with the threads. Your point is correct and understood. Now all I need to do is use my Habitual-Over-Thinking to come up with a hidden thread, up-locking grip!!!!!!
Thanks again to all.

Mark Talmo
FISHING IS NOT AN ESCAPE FROM LIFE BUT RATHER A DEEPER IMMERSION INTO IT!!! BUILDING YOUR OWN SIMPLY ENHANCES THE EXPERIENCE.

Date: January 01, 2017 03:47PM

I’m guessing the30lbs of drag of either the Penn or Daiwa would be sufficient to yank a surfer off his board, right?

Mark Talmo

Date: January 01, 2017 03:50PM

If you are going to use a hidden thread reel seat it does not make a lot difference if up locking or down locking. I like down locking because there's less of a problem with loosening the hood, thus reel, when casting. However, if you want to use the Breakaway cannon casting aid then you want to have an uplocking reel seat.
Norm

Posted by: jon edwards (---.lightspeed.wpbhfl.sbcglobal.net)
Date: January 01, 2017 05:25PM

If you are going to be throwing 8 and bait on a spinning reel get a glove. If you will be using braid really get a glove. Are you set on a spinning reel?

Date: January 01, 2017 06:19PM

Norman and Jon,
I was kidding about an up-locking seat with hidden threads. I figured attempting to employ some sort of mechanically locking rear grip would involve more thinking than even my Habitual-Over-Thinking brain was worth employing. I am fairly set on using a spinning reel.

Mark Talmo

Date: January 01, 2017 06:36PM

A split grip up locking is used by a lot of bass fishermen. So can be done, if you can find a hidden hood for larger size reel seats, which I have not seen.
Norm

Posted by: Dennis Danku (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: January 01, 2017 08:06PM

Micheal, No I have not. They are so new only the the big box sites have them online. But, there is a lot of interest in these reel due to their price and the fact that they are sealed to keep sand out of the gearcase.

Dennis J. Danku
(Sayreville,NJ)

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster