I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Custom rasps??
Posted by: mike langevin (---.nycmny.fios.verizon.net)
Date: December 31, 2016 12:11AM

Hey all. I am looking for long round rasps to increase the ID of cork and Eva foam grips. I have looked all over and the internet but no luck. I am ideally looking for a set of 4 tapered rasps pretty much the same sizes as the Batson dream reamer kit. Any ideas would help and if anyone knows a machine shop that would make them that would help to as no one by me that I've asked will do it.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Custom rasps??
Posted by: Eric MONTACLAIR (---.fbx.proxad.net)
Date: December 31, 2016 02:14AM

[www.ultimatereamer.com]

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: December 31, 2016 01:45PM

Mike,
I use these files to do my grip work:

[www.rodbuilding.org]

I insert the files into a 3/8th or 1/2 inch variable speed corded drill and use the files while turning them in reverse. By running the files in reverse, they do not screw themselves into a grip and blow it apart.

As much as anything, I clean up the end 2 inches of a grip. If I need to have clean up deeper into a grip where I can't get to with the files, I will use a 15 inch drill bit to drill out the interior of the grip to a size that is large enough to slip over a blank.

============
Another thing that would work to help with the interior of the grip would be to use a file of the right size to ream the full length of the grip. Then, if more length were needed, have a welding shop weld and clean up a piece of drill rod on the end of the file to allow the file to work the full length of the grip. I would think that it would be an inexpensive job to have an extension welded to the end of a file if needed.

Yes, full length reamers would be nice.

You might check with St. Croix rods. I believe that their factory uses long shaped reamers to ream out their various grips. When I took the factory tour, It seemed that a long reamer was being used to clean up a grip in a single pass.
I expect that they paid $$$$$$$$$$ for the reamers, but they might be able to provide a source for the machine shop work.

Be safe

Date: December 31, 2016 02:06PM

Thanks Roger!
The wonder reamers look fantastic but wow they are expensive. I guess from a lifetime investment perspective not so bad.

Posted by: Terry Fude (---.dhcp.fdul.wi.charter.com)
Date: December 31, 2016 04:43PM

Dream Reamer Cork Reaming Tool
[www.jannsnetcraft.com]

Posted by: Norman Miller (---.lightspeed.jcsnms.sbcglobal.net)
Date: December 31, 2016 05:11PM

Yep, you can buy 23 dream reamer sets for the price of one ultimate reamer set. They may last a lifetime, but I'm not that young!
Norm

Posted by: Eric MONTACLAIR (---.fbx.proxad.net)
Date: January 01, 2017 03:47AM

I only give him a link for that is looking for (as it seem he stated like dream reamer but rasps style).

Yes price of ultimate reamer is high but if you do a lot of reaming (I don't) may be you can save a lot of time, and time is money :-)

Posted by: Norman Miller (---.lightspeed.jcsnms.sbcglobal.net)
Date: January 01, 2017 11:46AM

Eric was just having some fun with the price. You are correct, it is very difficult, if not impossible, to find long round metal rasps of varing sizes that are relatively inexpensive. The Ultimate reamer fits the bill except for expense. The Dream reamers works very well and last a long time, and it is very easy to replace the grit strips when they wear out. Another option is to buy a cheap solid fiber glass blank and make your own reamer set. This will be cheaper even than a dream reamer.set. Use a high quality sanding strips spiraled onto the blank attached via contact cement. Do not use epoxy for this because it does not hold up to the heat generated during power reaming.
Norm

Date: January 01, 2017 01:00PM

No I thank you for posting the ultimate reamer stuff that is exactly what I'm looking for. The expense did shock me but if they would sell maybe 1-2 rather then a full 4 reamer set I would be very interested. I have already contacted them so let's see. I love my flex coat reverse drill bits for 1/4 to 1/2 or 5/8 but it seems like if I go larger say to 3/4 or 7/8 they don't bore as straight. That's granted some user error on my part but I can't seem to get them to bore as straight. So hopefully they will sell me the two largest reamers they have in the number 7 set

Date: January 01, 2017 01:00PM

No I thank you for posting the ultimate reamer stuff that is exactly what I'm looking for. The expense did shock me but if they would sell maybe 1-2 rather then a full 4 reamer set I would be very interested. I have already contacted them so let's see. I love my flex coat reverse drill bits for 1/4 to 1/2 or 5/8 but it seems like if I go larger say to 3/4 or 7/8 they don't bore as straight. That's granted some user error on my part but I can't seem to get them to bore as straight. So hopefully they will sell me the two largest reamers they have in the number 7 set

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster