I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Sturgeon rod suggestions
Posted by: Adam Marthaler (166.182.3.---)
Date: December 30, 2016 08:34PM

All,

I have a buddy looking for a custom sturgeon rod. 7'6" or so with a really sensitive tip. Any suggestions for the blank to fit this build?

Thanks,
Adam

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Sturgeon rod suggestions
Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: December 30, 2016 09:23PM

Legal or oversized? Location, white or green?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/30/2016 09:25PM by Spencer Phipps.

Date: December 30, 2016 10:13PM

I guess I don't understand either of those questions.

Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net)
Date: December 30, 2016 10:26PM

He is asking, size of fish and White or Green Sturgeon. The answers make a difference.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/30/2016 10:26PM by Phil Erickson.

Date: December 30, 2016 11:00PM

They fish for them in northern minnesota on the rainy river. I will ask for these details as well.

Posted by: Ron Fletcher (---.lightspeed.sntcca.sbcglobal.net)
Date: December 30, 2016 11:36PM

I fish for sturgeon in northern CA. I use Calstar BTG 196-7, Calstar GF700XL, Superseeker SS-CLBF704 and Calstar196L -7. They all have a nice sensitive tip with enough backbone to bring in a nice sturgeon. I have caught quite a few sturgeon over 6 ft up to 160 lbs but most are in the 25 to 50 lb range. But if you are fishing fast rivers you would have to use a heavier rod with more weight to hold the bait on the bottom. Some people are switching to 8 ft rods but I still prefer 7 ft. There easier to store and still do the trick.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: December 31, 2016 01:52PM

Adam,
Pick up an 8 foot fiberglass cat fish rod It will work wonderfully well for these sturgeon.

Another rod that works really well is a 10 or 12 foot surf rod of the appropriate power and tip action.

This $20 rod does a great job of catching these sturgeon. No need to spend a lot of money for the rod. When you are fishing for these fish, you put on a decent sized reel, 50 lb test line, a #2/0 hook, a 2 oz non roll sinker and a gob of night crawlers and drop it over the side of the boat. When the tip of the rod bends, reel in the fish.

The glass rod excels for this fishing since there is enough beef in the butt of the rod to land the fish, but the tip is nice and light and able to signal a bite. The physical weight of the rod is not important, since most folks just drop the bait into the river and put the rod in a rod holder and leave it there until they get a bite or until they leave.

Example of non roll sinker:

[www.walmart.com]

Have fun.

Date: December 31, 2016 02:48PM

Two blanks that were designed with sturgeon in mind are the Batson Rainshadow SWS597 and the RCLB80XL. I personally prefer the SWS597, super light, very fast tip to catch those light sturgeon takes, more than enough backbone for your application. By far my most popular Columbia River keeper size sturgeon rod, which are similar in size and weight to your biggest lake sturgeon. A Abu 6500, or similar sized reel with 50 lb. braid is what is used most with this rod.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 12/31/2016 10:18PM by Spencer Phipps.

Posted by: Adam Marthaler (166.181.83.---)
Date: January 01, 2017 11:23AM

He hasn't heard of the legal or oversized terms either but he says 4-5' average monsters are 7' range. Lake sturgeon as mentioned before on the border waters of Canada and Minnesota.

Thanks to all who have replied, options are good to have.

Date: January 01, 2017 12:38PM

White sturgeon get to be quite large and live a very long time. To save the fishery, ensuring lots of spawners, they have a slot limit, in easy terms to remember any fish 3 to 6 ft. long is fair game, larger or smaller you have to return them to the river unharmed. A 6 ft. fish is in the 50 - 55 lb. range, the rod I mentioned has taken bigger fish pretty regular. The soft fast tip is the thing, probably good to 12 oz. weight, I don't remember having to go much over 6 oz. on those lake sturgeon when I was stationed in MI. I've also caught big permit, cobia and tarpon on this rod.
The guys who spend a lot of time chasing sturgeon, but also fish salmon and want to use one rod for everything use this blank. I prefer the RX7 graphite SW967 in one or two piece as I think they are better everything rods, but I lean more toward salmon first.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/01/2017 01:03PM by Spencer Phipps.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster