I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Business Insurance
Posted by: Jon Stevens (168.251.2.---)
Date: December 29, 2016 09:28PM

I am shopping insurance for my rod building business. I'm having trouble finding affordable coverage. Rarely will someone visit my home/shop but I understand I need to cover myself in those rare circumstances. Plus the chance of a lawsuit should someone be hurt from a rod I build. Would anyone care to share what kind of coverage they are using? When I explain to the agents what I'm looking for, the quotes come back as "Commercial General Liability Coverage/Commercial Property Coverage". All of them have been over $1000 a year. I understand the insurance company needs to cover themselves and myself in a lawsuit but that seems awfully high. I was expecting something in the $200 to $500 range. Am I just that far out of touch? Is there another alternative type of policy? I have searched the site for old posts and found plenty of talk about the subject but nothing really detailing the "label/type" of policy.

If it helps in a response, I have formed a LLC and I am based out of Wisconsin. I am open to emails if you would rather use that method.

Thanks,
Jon

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Business Insurance
Posted by: chris newkirk (---.mycingular.net)
Date: January 02, 2017 12:54PM

Have you checked with the company you have your homeowners insurance with? My wife is a photographer and primarily uses our property and a basement studio in our house, unless a client has another preferred location. We spoke to our insurance agent about coverage for this and they came up with very affordable liability coverage for her business purposes. I can't remember what the coverage vs rates are, but it's very good coverage at a very affordable cost.

Posted by: Jon Stevens (---.dsl.airstreamcomm.net)
Date: January 02, 2017 08:36PM

Thank you for the response. I did check with the company I currently have my home owners with. They have not returned a quote yet. However, they did give me the green light to have a business in my home. As I understand it, many do not. I will be sure to report back soon with an update on price differences.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: January 04, 2017 10:23PM

Product liability insurance may not be necessary. If you install the maker's decal on the blank, their insurance covers that portion.

Date: January 05, 2017 07:04AM

I had read that when searching past posts. Some of the blanks I have built on have not come with a makers decal. Usually they are ice rod blanks. I'm not sure how to get around that besides not building on those blanks. Which would be hard to do because they are some of my favorite.

Posted by: Chuck Mills (---.grenergy.com)
Date: January 06, 2017 08:39AM

Jon - do you really think someone would get hurt from a rod you built? And, if they did get hurt, would it be your fault or user error? Either way, I don't think anyone would bother to sue you over it. Just my opinion.

Date: January 06, 2017 11:27AM

I agree. The chances of a lawsuit are very close to zero. Maybe that's the question I should have asked... is it necessary to have coverage of accidental injury cause by a rod build? Should I just pursue coverage of an injury at my place of business?

Posted by: Mike Rodman (---.glt-wy.client.bresnan.net)
Date: January 06, 2017 06:50PM

Insurance is a 'transfer of risk' to the carrier in return for a 'premium'. In my previous career as a commercial insurance agent, I often told clients there are three ways to handle a risk; Avoid the risk; Assume the risk; Transfer the risk. Most choose to Transfer the risk. I've also operated somewhat low-risk businesses since leaving the insurance industry and have formed multiple LLC's, complete with business banking accounts and separate business credit cards. I've kept personal and commercial separate along with a minimum $1,500+ in the account and do not use personal assets for business, or business assets for personal use. Not the number one way of doing things and I'm certain others will have their opinions, but I have assumed the risk,set up legal boundaries and the proper legal entities to protect my personal assets. Caveat emptor!

Posted by: Jon Stevens (---.dyn.centurytel.net)
Date: January 07, 2017 08:46PM

I'm going to talk to a lawyer friend about my options. I planned on having seperate accounts from business and personal. I didn't realize there is the possibility of proctection that way too. The more I dig, the more I realize my ignorance. Hope to report back with some good info soon.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster