I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Thread tensioner for the expert wrapper
Posted by: Gib Portwood (---.lightspeed.rcsntx.sbcglobal.net)
Date: December 28, 2016 11:56PM

Hello everyone,

I'm trying to envision an optimal wrapper for my son. Not for right now (we will continue to use what we have now--the stuff from mudhole), but rather when his skills have progressed to a point where something different is warranted. A lot of my current ideas for an optimal wrapper come from the things we like or don't like about the tools we have now. Other ideas come from looking at what different manufacturers offer as well as pictures that are uploaded to the photo section from the diy folks

So when it comes to the thread tensioner, I see that some "systems" have an extension that allows for the blank to be unwrapped for a small distance while keeping everything under tension while others do not. At our current level, having that ability to back up a bit without having to worry about keeping thread tension intact comes in handy. It seems like this capability would be something that all commercially made tensioners would have. But maybe long time rod builders become so adept at wrapping that they have no need for such a capability? They either get it all perfect the first time, or are fine with starting that particular wrap over again?

So, I'm curious to hear from those who consider themselves Jedi wrappers: now that you have the wrapping bit down and can make multiple inlays or complicated wraps one after the other, do you find yourself using or wanting a tensioner that can maintain thread tension to unwind a wrap for a few turns, or is that something only the weak of mind tend to use? :)

Thanks for your input.

Gib

Father to William (15 yrs), who I hope has found his passion in custom rod building!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Thread tensioner for the expert wrapper
Posted by: David Baylor (---.neo.res.rr.com)
Date: December 29, 2016 04:13AM

Weak of mind?

If you put a piece of pipe over the handle of a breaker bar to gain leverage when loosening a stubborn bolt, does that make you weak of mind?

Or does it make you smart?

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: December 29, 2016 08:10AM

It's an additional feature that many prefer. It's not absolutely necessary, but like a lot of things, very nice to have in many instances.

Posted by: Bruce Tomaselli (---.altnpa.east.verizon.net)
Date: December 29, 2016 09:02AM

Like Tom said, it's not necessary, but great to have. I have a tensioner that allows me to back up my wraps to re-wrap and it was a Godsend. My first wrapper didn't have it, but once I used one, I had to have it.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (172.56.38.---)
Date: December 29, 2016 09:40AM

Check out the Sully rod wrappers for some good ideas.

Posted by: Donald La Mar (---.lightspeed.lsvlky.sbcglobal.net)
Date: December 29, 2016 12:23PM

The force is not with me so the Jedi thing does not apply. As for being weak of mind, She Who Must Be Obeyed thinks that term does apply.

Nonetheless, every now and then everyone (including the Jedi Masters and Nobel Candidates) needs to back up a wrap a bit, and a means for the wrapper to maintain tension is very desirable.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: December 29, 2016 12:48PM

Gib,
I use a spring tension type device to put the thread under the correct tension.

I found that it would be nice to be able to back up a wrapper when I first started building power wrappers. So, I continued to work on a wrapper design until I had a wrapper that could be reversed at the flip of a switch.

Thus, when I need to clear a mistake, I hit the reverse switch, grab the thread and back up the thread as much as is necessary. Then, I reposition the thread in the tension device to hold the thread tight. If I have backed up the thread a great deal, I will rewrap the thread on the thread spool to take up the slack between the thread spool and the tension derive.

I always like to maintain the exact same tension all of the time and therefore dislike any sort of a tension device in between the nominal thread tension device and the rod.

Lots of different ways to wrap rods, so choose the method or methods that work well for you and make the rod of your heart's desire.

Good luck

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: December 29, 2016 12:56PM

Here is a DC motor power unit that I made a few years ago for a power wrapper.
It uses a dc motor, a dc power supply, reversing switch, a foot pedal for speed control, as well as a dial for speed control when using the unit as a dryer:

[www.amazon.com]

Click on the link and you will be able to view the video.

Take care

Posted by: Jim Upton (---.socal.res.rr.com)
Date: December 29, 2016 02:19PM

Gib; I like to be able to back up a long way on occasion as well as maintain a consistent tension. I also change the amount of tension depending on the size of thread I am using, so I made a tensioning system that allows me to back up as well as adjust the amount of tension I'm using by changing weights attached to the thread. Go to my gallery and you will find a couple of pictures there that show the system on two different rod lathes. I built a thread carriage for one and modified the one for the Renzetti. If you have questions E-Mail me and I can take more pictures to make the conditions clear if you are interested.

Posted by: Gib Portwood (208.88.204.---)
Date: December 29, 2016 04:00PM

Wow Roger. That is very cool!

Father to William (15 yrs), who I hope has found his passion in custom rod building!

Posted by: John Wright (---.om.om.cox.net)
Date: December 29, 2016 05:55PM

Well,

I'll put in my two cents. I build my own as a lot of us do. the thread tension device I have found works best for me is made from two rare earth magnets placed next to each other with same poles facing. That way as I tighten the wing nut it pushes the magnets closer together and the force on the thread increases. I could give you the equation that lets me calculate the force, but probably overkill. :-) This gives me very precise tension control and, unlike the wing nut compression spring arrangement I used to use, the thread coming off the spool doesn't rotate the wing nut and loosen or tighten the tension.

I then use a piece of wire located in the top of my tension holder to provide a spring effect to give me the ability to unwrap one or two wraps if necessary. I have found this very handy especially when doing weaving. Here's a link that should give you an idea of the kind of wire spring that I use.

[www.google.com]

I just bought a bunch of wire and clip off what I need. I should think almost any wire would work fine as long as it was "springy" enough.

I have built a lot of wrappers for Veterans in Project Healing Waters, and they seem to work pretty well for beginner as well as long time wrappers.

Again, just my 2 cents.

John

Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net)
Date: December 29, 2016 06:41PM

I wouldn't be without one!

Date: December 29, 2016 08:27PM

So cool that you build wrappers for veterans! I am a veteran myself and helping those that need help is something near and dear to me. I graduated from West Point, and a few of my classmates are very involved with wounded warriors etc.

I think it is great that you do that!

Date: December 29, 2016 08:32PM

I would think that too. We have the CRB wrapper from mudhole, and it has a piece that allows some backwards movement. We like that aspect of it a lot, but it doesn't seem that any other commercial made tensioners (other than Remzetti) have it. So it made me wonder if it wasn't that me ceasary once one became proficient at wrapping or if it difficult for other manufacturers to add that to their temsioners?

Based on the response here, why don't all mass marketed tensioner said off this?

Date: December 29, 2016 10:17PM

Mr. Jim Upton: I just sent you an email. Thank you sir!

Posted by: Donald Becker (---.hawaiiantel.net)
Date: December 30, 2016 02:32AM

Gib,

The rod builders I know that fall into the Good to Jedi range do not use tension devices. Try doing a google search on youtube lamiglas factory tour. Replace lamiglas with a manufacturer of your choosing. In the Lamiglas video, it appears the wrapper is only using a finger protector.

One person I know uses a bobbin holder. It fits the small spools of thread. The advantage is that should he be called away from his work, he simply drapes the bobbin holder off the side of his blank. Of course, if your machine has a reverse, you can switch it to reverse and let the bobbin holder take up the slack (perhaps two feet).

[www.orvis.com]

goggle bobbin holder fly tying

The bobbin holder can act as a tension device.

I have never used one. You would need to do some research. At least check on the largest size thread usable.

Don Becker

Posted by: Trace Butkovich (107.77.97.---)
Date: December 31, 2016 03:30AM

John,

The earth magnet idea sounds genius beings I have the same problem with the wing nut loosening where abouts did you get these magnets and do you have any pictures of the setup?

Posted by: David Baylor (---.neo.res.rr.com)
Date: December 31, 2016 09:18AM

I put a teflon washer between the thread spool and the metal washer that comes in contact with the wing nut. No problems with the wing nut loosening or tightening.

Posted by: Barry Chapman (---.41.70.115.static.exetel.com.au)
Date: December 31, 2016 06:15PM

I had the same problem with my magnetic tensioner & I over came it by using drill stops .It's quickly adjustable using the grub screw to lock it in position. It just needs the screw to contact the shaft & it just doesn't move .The pressure you put on the drill stop grub screw is just enough to stop it moving .I put a small hole in the thread carriage to hold the allen key so it's never lost . I have been using this method for I guess about 3-4 years now .To date it's been perfect .

Regards Baz

Bundeena
NSW Australia

Posted by: Mark Talmo (---.dsl.lsan03.sbcglobal.net)
Date: December 31, 2016 09:33PM

Gib,
I do not use the “buggy whip” style tensioners simply because most of my wraps are too detailed to use the power and spin the rod by hand. If in need of backing up a half turn, I just back up the spool of thread and blank simultaneously. When it comes to actually putting tension on the thread to create a tight wrap, I prefer to put “brakes” on the spool rather than squeezing / pinching the thread and creating any additional fuzzies. If I were to use metallic thread more often, the benefit might be even greater. There are many veterans utilizing the sewing machine style squeezing washers, but there are better methods. I considered rare earth magnets when designing my own system, but they can be rather pricey and not really needed to achieve a silky smooth, finely adjustable thread tensioner. You can build your own 4-spool station for less than $5.00 unless you are like me and need to have stainless hardware and PTFE washers, but still way less than $20.00. Look in the photo gallery under “Equipment and Tools” “Mark’s Wrapper”. From the bottom: 2 X .125in foam washer (rather than a spring); 2in metal flat washer; 2- .25 x .5 X .030in PTFE (or nylon) flat washers; the spool of thread; 2- .25 X .5 X .030in PTFE washers; 2in metal washer; ¼ - 28 wing nut (rather than machining your own like these) for the ¼ - 28 cap screw running up the middle. The two 1/8in rods / pins go through the two metal flat washers and into the base to keep the washers from turning and eliminating the nut from backing off. Simple, inexpensive but, most importantly, extremely effective and flawless operation.

Mark Talmo
FISHING IS NOT AN ESCAPE FROM LIFE BUT RATHER A DEEPER IMMERSION INTO IT!!! BUILDING YOUR OWN SIMPLY ENHANCES THE EXPERIENCE.

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster