I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Winn grips and Fuji SK2
Posted by: Jon Salter (165.160.2.---)
Date: December 27, 2016 03:16PM

So the only model of Winn grip that states it fits with the SK2 is WKSK2, however this grip is only 2.5 inches.
Has anyone successfully installed any of the 3.5" straight taper grips on an SK2?
Can't find much info.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/27/2016 03:17PM by Jon Salter.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Winn grips and Fuji SK2
Posted by: Norman Miller (---.lightspeed.jcsnms.sbcglobal.net)
Date: December 28, 2016 10:22AM

Jon, the OD of the straight taper Winn grip at the reel seat end is about 27.4 mm and the OD of the butt end of the size 16 SK2 trigger reel seat is 23.8 mm so is not a flush fit. When centered on each other the grip would be about 1.8 mm larger on either side. The EVA part of the grip could be tapered down to make it flush. Not sure if worth the trouble. MHX makes a 3.5" rear grip that fits the SK2 reel seat.
[www.mudhole.com]
Norm

Date: December 28, 2016 10:32AM

Thanks Norm...I did some more investigating and found the same thing....I'm going to order up a WKSK2 to see if I like it, but I may be force to abandon the SK2 seats if I can't get the grips I want.
I am planning to replace all my rods (20) and would like to have different color grips for techniques and reels.
Jon

Posted by: Norman Miller (---.lightspeed.jcsnms.sbcglobal.net)
Date: December 28, 2016 10:48AM

If you like split reel seats try the PacBay minima trigger reel seats they fit the Winn grips very well. I like and use a lot of them. Also like and use exposed blank reel seats. Both types are good alternatives.
Norm

Date: December 28, 2016 10:56AM

I currently use the FUJI ACS exposed seats which I like....I am building an SK2 rod for a friend so it will give me a chance to see if I like the split grip, if so my only option will be to try the PacBay.
Thanks

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (172.56.42.---)
Date: December 28, 2016 04:36PM

The Fuji Perfect Fit Winn grips are sized correctly.

Posted by: Jon Salter (---.sub-174-200-29.myvzw.com)
Date: December 28, 2016 05:00PM

Yes Spencer but the only come in black, I was looking for some color.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: December 29, 2016 10:17AM

Jon,
The really good thing about black grips is that the grips never ever get dirty.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster