I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Advice on guide set up (shoot holes in it if there is some please)
Posted by: Trace Butkovich (107.77.97.---)
Date: December 26, 2016 11:46PM

So I think I have it figured out I'm going to use the Lamiglas SI941MH salmon/steelhead blank for Hover fishing, light back bouncing and trolling if need arises. Using a diwa Lexa hsl 300 casting reel. I want to do a simple spiral and was just curious how this sounds to all the experts. Stripper guide would be a 12mm double foot then my first 180 guide would be a 8mm double foot then 6mm single foot with the rest being a 5.5 or 5mm to the tip-top. My 90 dagree bumper I was thinking a 10mm double foot. Don't need to pass any knots.

Also I would like to use the Fuji k series guides in stainless. I like the looks of the titanium but man they sure jump up in price and why are the gunsmoke painted guides more expensive then just black?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Advice on guide set up (shoot holes in it if there is some please)
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: December 27, 2016 07:49AM

The first 180 degree guide should be the same size as all the rest of the guides underneath. There is nothing to be gained by making it one size larger and that can, in some situations, put the blank at risk as that guide is further from the blank and therefore picks up the load later than the rest of the 180 degree guides. Do a static distribution test and you will see what I mean.

Also don't make the mistake of having the bumper spaced as if it was part of the regular guide set up - set up everything as if you weren't going to use a bumper, then come back and add it in-between the regularly spaced 0 and 180 guide.

Date: December 27, 2016 12:43PM

Ok would you use a double foot for the second guide and then single foot the rest of the way? Maybe I'll just go 6's the whole way down. How bout Fuji k guides what's your thoughts on using them for a spiral the whole length?

Posted by: Lynn Behler (---.97.252.156.res-cmts.leh.ptd.net)
Date: December 27, 2016 02:48PM

Trace,the Rodmaker guides CD recommends using the lowest frame, smallest ring guide possible for the bumper guide, as all it does is keep the line from rubbing the blank. It is said to be best to use a double ft.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (172.56.42.---)
Date: December 27, 2016 03:18PM

I've spiral wrapped every rod I own, I've never used the new Fuji casting guides. Many of my rods are all single foot fly guides starting with a 10 mm. I however have had others try my system and they bring back rods with bent guides, virtually all being the first three closest to the reel, I now build with double foots that way for customers, unless told otherwise. The bumper being one of them and I use a 6 mm df though a smaller would probably also work. I'D install guides at 4,9,14,19 3/4, 26, 33 5/8, 41 5/8, 50 5/8 inches and of course a bumper guide and see how it looks and go from there.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/27/2016 03:30PM by Spencer Phipps.

Date: December 28, 2016 09:08AM

Hey thanks guys for the help I hope it turns out beautiful:)

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster