I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

EVA Grips
Posted by: Jon Salter (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: December 26, 2016 09:06PM

Watching some of the mudhole videos and reading a bit, many say slide it down til it stops then epoxy from that point down and firmly push the grip down.

To me it's much easier to ream the grip so it fits snug......am I missing something here?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: EVA Grips
Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: December 26, 2016 10:23PM

Jon,
I never really saw the point of stretching the grip to put it on the blank. I suppose that it works, but I simply choose not to do it.

I always ream a grip so that it is a nice slip fit over the blank. Glue it on, and move on with the rest of the build.

Be safe

Posted by: David Baylor (---.neo.res.rr.com)
Date: December 26, 2016 11:06PM

There are a couple of potential problems that result from not reaming EVA grips to at least a close fit to where you want their final position to be. One deals with an increase in the OD of the grip itself, the other with actually getting the grip to it's final position.

I ream mine so they'll stop sliding down the blank (under the power of gravity) about an inch above where I want their final position to be. I've found that if you have to slide force them down much more than that, that the OD of the grip grows and causes fit and finish problems with the back of the reel seat, or any trim rings that you may be using. I like using trim rings between the butt cap and the reel seat. Forcing the grip down much more than an inch will make the OD of the tenon increase and can make sanding the tenon necessary to get the trim ring to slide over it.

The same increase in the OD of the tenon also happens with the grip and can make the grip a larger OD than both the reel seat and any trim rings you may be using. Some people may not have a problem with grips that are a slightly larger OD than trim rings or reel seats, but I like to have them flush.

The other potential problem is that some of the EVA grips are extremely dense. The Batson grips are very dense, and excellent EVA grips. The more dense the EVA, the more difficult it is to get it to slide down much more than an inch.

Anyhow, like I said. I ream them so they stop about 1" above where I want them to be. And as the Mud Hole video for installing EVA grips says ..... make sure that you mark the blank at the top of the grip and apply epoxy from there, down the blank. I usually start my epoxy about an inch above where I've marked so I make sure that I get more than enough epoxy inside the grip.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 12/26/2016 11:10PM by David Baylor.

Posted by: Lynn Behler (---.97.252.156.res-cmts.leh.ptd.net)
Date: December 27, 2016 03:34PM

It also helps to chamfer the grip slightly where it will first contact the glue, so the glue wants to go inside the grip instead of being pushed down the blank ahead of it.

Posted by: Capt. Michael Harmon (107.77.106.---)
Date: December 27, 2016 03:47PM

X2 Lynn. Good advise

Posted by: Jon Salter (165.160.2.---)
Date: December 27, 2016 03:53PM

Nice idea Lynn!

Posted by: Lynn Behler (---.97.252.156.res-cmts.leh.ptd.net)
Date: December 27, 2016 04:02PM

Thanks, as much as I'd like to take credit, I saw it done by one of the west coast builders. Not sure which. It was one of the first 10-15,000 posts I read.

Posted by: Norman Miller (---.lightspeed.jcsnms.sbcglobal.net)
Date: December 27, 2016 07:13PM

There is a nice article in the library concerning chamfering.
[www.rodbuilding.org]
Norm

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (172.56.42.---)
Date: December 28, 2016 09:33AM

Guess I've been lucky, I only on occasion ream a EVA grip, I just lube the blank up with glue above the stop point, spin the grip in the glue to ensure full coverage and with a aggressive, continuous movement slide the grip down the blank. I than grap the bottom firmly and stretch the grip out to it's original length. I've found that as the grip expands, it also thins and gives me no real concerns as far as butt caps, etc.

Posted by: Grant Darby (---.wavecable.com)
Date: December 28, 2016 04:09PM

Put the epoxy where the grip will end up, chamfer, or bevel the inside edge. Use grade school rubber cement from the point the grip stops down to your epoxy and slide it down. Be careful here or your grip will slide right off, no reaming, no excess epoxy, just rub off the rubber cement in a few minutes. A lot of builders have been doing it for years. Try it on some scrap, use a small ID eva on a large OD scrap and you'll never ream another piece of EVA.

Posted by: Anthony Robertson (---.amrdec.army.mil)
Date: December 29, 2016 10:14AM

Stretching it too much can also rip the inlays on EVA. Only takes a second to open up the ID and I feel it makes the work a bit easier.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster