I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Packing a Weave
Posted by: John Wright (---.om.om.cox.net)
Date: December 26, 2016 07:01PM

I know I have seen either a video or article on packing and tightening a weave, but I have been unable to locate it. If anyone knows where this is, please post a link. Thanks.

John

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Packing a Weave
Posted by: Jerry Poindexter (---.tx.res.rr.com)
Date: December 26, 2016 07:23PM

Date: December 26, 2016 07:52PM

Jerry Poindexter Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> [rodbuilding101.com]
> y%20Doc%20Ski.pdf

Jerry,

Thanks, that's the one I remember.

John

Posted by: Chuck McIntyre (---.hlrn.qwest.net)
Date: December 27, 2016 12:43PM

John,don't forget to post a pic of it. I can't wait to see it.

Date: December 27, 2016 01:22PM

Chuck McIntyre Wrote:
> John,don't forget to post a pic of it. I can't
> wait to see it.

Chuck,
I will. But from what I am seeing so far, its not coming out the way I expected. But I'll post pictures and discuss the problems I had. Maybe it will help another new weaver.

John

Date: December 27, 2016 02:50PM

John
That's a drag to hear. But that's the spirit of sharing questions and answers here. :) It still might be fixable so don't add finish before you post a pic. You just might get some more helpful feedback.

Date: December 29, 2016 05:40PM

Chuck McIntyre Wrote:
> John
> That's a drag to hear. But that's the spirit of
> sharing questions and answers here. :) It still
> might be fixable so don't add finish before you
> post a pic. You just might get some more helpful
> feedback.

Chuck I understand and appreciate the spirit. The fact that it isn't turning out well actually is a good thing for me and maybe for others. I have read a lot about tightening and packing, so will be giving that a try when I get done. I find that I learn a lot more from failures that I ever do from successes. A concept the younger generation probably needs to grasp. So I will take photos of what I end up with and then my attempts to fix/clean up the weave. Maybe it will be a good learning lesson for me and other new weavers. Heck the worst that can happen is I start all over again for the 4th time. Maybe that will be the magic number.

Thanks to everyone for the ideas and help. I've been tied up with work the last few days so haven't done much if anything. But will get back on it tomorrow and maybe get it done Saturday.

John

Date: December 30, 2016 08:53PM

Ok, I finished today, or at least if completed the pattern. I am not happy with it so have started over for the 4th time. Here are some pictures of what I finished with.

[drive.google.com]

[drive.google.com]

[drive.google.com]

Here is what I ultimately want to finish up with.

[drive.google.com]

I think I need to keep my wraps tighter to the design threads and be a little more patient. So I start again tomorrow, as I said previously failure leads to knowlege. In this caseI think I am now ready to do this in earnest.

Date: January 01, 2017 01:57PM

"I think I need to keep my wraps tighter to the design threads and be a little more patient."

John,you are on the right track. One suggestion I have is to wrap multiple wraps of tape over the threads on the left at the beginning and then doubling it back on itself to provide some stickiness to also help hold threads in place. This will help to keep things both anchored,and centered whereas just going from slot to slot on the looms will add to the pattern growing wider from top to bottom. The threads themselves in the pattern sit tight next to each other. By going from slot to slot, without a way to keep them centered closer to the pattern,it will widen from top to bottom as viewed when executing the weave. This has the added benefit of allowing you to keep the design thread from the tape next to the left side of the pattern closer together. From the tape to the loom,things can be kept a bit looser. What happened to me when going from the weave directly to the "left" loom (or right loom) was that tendency to insert the design threads under a bit too much tension. Thus,pulling the pattern wider. An added benefit of "anchoring" the design threads to the left before starting the weave is that it gives you an ability to tighten things up every 4,5,or whatever turns of the rod,by pulling them to the right. I also add tape to the right side of the weave, to the left of the right loom for the same reason.On the right side,it is less about anchoring,as much as it is keeping the design threads centered. All I need is for there to be a sticky surface to gently press the threads into to keep it all centered. By that, I mean it allows a weaver to pull the threads on the right side to keep them straighter and tighter, within the design, The less you allow them to remain "puffed up" within the weave wrap,the easier and better the final adjustment process will go once the weave is completed. Additionally,by "lifting" the threads (as opposed to pulling them) on the right every so often,it will sort of slide them towards the left against the wrapping/winding thread. I hope this helps.

" So I start again tomorrow, as I said previously failure leads to knowledge. In this case I think I am now ready to do this in earnest."

Didn't Thomas Edison actually go through something like 1000 failures before creating a viable light bulb? I have always learned best from my personal failures as opposed to the failures of others. :D
The best thing I ever learned from others failures was to not do heroin....

May success be with you this time.

Date: January 01, 2017 08:03PM

Chuck,

I agree with your comments. I use carpet tape on the left to set up the loom on the right. I also found that slight pulls to the right do have a big affect on the weaving. I started the 4th weave today and it is already looking much better. But I did re-do the design and increase the size so I have more detail Should have it pretty much in had tomorrow, so time will tell.

I'll post more pictures when I finish this attempt.

Thanks for all the advice and help on this.

John

Date: January 01, 2017 08:14PM

John

You are most welcome. Let's hope this time is the final one for this weave. I am betting it will be.

Date: January 03, 2017 07:27PM

Finished this afternoon Here are a few photos. I need to pack and tighten. Some flaws, but I think it will be OK.

[drive.google.com]

[drive.google.com]

[drive.google.com]

Date: January 04, 2017 12:51AM

John
That does look much better. Welcome to the addiction! There is no turning back now... ;)

Date: January 04, 2017 01:21AM

Chuck,
Yep for sure. I am already looking into my next weave. Oh where will it end? :-)

Date: January 05, 2017 04:58PM

John
It ends where and when you say it will. We, as rodbuilders often keep going despite failing eyesight. We just increase the magnification. ;)

Date: January 29, 2017 12:08AM

Finished the second weave today. I'll take photos tomorrow. On problem I did have that I can't figure out how to solve. The second weave was a two color weave as well, just like the first one I did. But after I had the two layers of thread secured, I began the wrap thread and the upper and lower layers mixed and both layers split and left an open area in the center. I removed the wrap thread and started again, with the same results. The third time I had to manipulate each thread to get them back to some order.

As if that wasn't enough, as I started the weave, some of the threads had gotten mixed up so for example thread 20 was actually in thread 15 spot etc. I had to very carefully reposition all the threads on the loom. Then the upper land lower layers kept getting wrapped around each other. I was constantly having to move one thread under another thread to keep things straight. In some instances I had to move thread under four or five threads to keep things neat. It took me twice as long to do this wrap as the first.

I just don't understand why the threads seemed to be so unruly? Any ideas or suggestions would be appreciated.

John

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/29/2017 11:01AM by John Wright.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster