I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

balanced spinning outfit
Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---.res.bhn.net)
Date: December 22, 2016 06:29PM

To get a balanced spinning outfit you need a digital spring scale [$5.33 on line] solidly anchored on one end and tied to the tip-top of your rod with 20# test line. Pull on the rod as hard as you dare without breaking it and record this maximum tension. The line you use with this rod should test no more than twice this maximum tension and the reel you use does not need to be able to exert more than twice as much tension as the maximum pull you recorded. Don't be discouraged if your fresh-water rod seems to risk breakage at over 5 pounds of tension - most do.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: balanced spinning outfit
Posted by: Russell Brunt (---.lightspeed.miamfl.sbcglobal.net)
Date: December 23, 2016 02:51PM

Lets see if this works and then we can discuss:)

[www.rodbuilding.org]

Tell me what you think Phil. Not bad for a "bass rod" huh?

Russ in Hollywood, FL.

Fuji speed stick collet question
Posted by: alexander morales (---.hsd1.fl.comcast.net)
Date: December 23, 2016 04:27PM

Hello every one I am putting my old speed sticks back in service but have a couple of questions was there ever a washer in between the handle and the collet also was the o ring round or the flat type these are the early slip fit handles any help is good help. thanks. Alex.

Posted by: Lynn Behler (---.97.252.156.res-cmts.leh.ptd.net)
Date: December 23, 2016 06:56PM

Great post Russell!

Date: December 23, 2016 07:14PM

Okay Lynn, since you responded I'll put you on the spot and ask what I intended to ask Phil.

Guy says he is lifting 15 pounds in that pic and blank failed at 18.5 pounds. He clearly has a lot more than a 90 degree bend in the rod and perhaps had even more when it failed at 18.5 pounds. Butt diameter is 1/2", tip size is 6, optimum casting weight is 1 ounce.

So what pound test do you fish with that rod and what is your maximum drag setting? What might we guess the blank would fail at if held to a 90 degree bend?

Russ in Hollywood, FL.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: December 23, 2016 08:30PM

Typically, if the rod is utilized properly, and deadlifted to failure, it's going to break in the lower 1/3rd to 1/4 of its length. If the one in your photo broke higher than that, you can almost guarantee that it would have gone well past 18.5 pounds before it failed.

Date: December 23, 2016 09:36PM

I'm just a cheerleader in this post.

Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---.res.bhn.net)
Date: December 24, 2016 10:13AM

Russell: I'd say you were over-gunned for a Micropterus sp. bass. Maybe striped bass or sea bass. I do not think that blank would "balance" well with a Shimano 2500 reel, even though that reel is reputed to have more than enough drag (20#) for that blank.

Date: December 26, 2016 09:33PM

Heck, I didn't mention bass (other than saying the blank was a bass rod) nor did I mention a 2500 reel.

Evryone has to decide what pound test and drag setting they will fish a given blank at. I can't think of a better way to determine that than testing said blank to failure. A little surprised nobody will touch this question with a ten foot pole. There isn't any right/wrong answer. Just looking for other opinons here.

Russ in Hollywood, FL.

Date: December 27, 2016 04:08PM

Russell, I'm way too cheap to test a blank to the failure point!

Posted by: Norman Miller (---.lightspeed.jcsnms.sbcglobal.net)
Date: December 27, 2016 06:04PM

Fish any pound test line you want and set the drag at 20-25 % of the breaking strengh of the line used. Of course when fishing structure, you can use heavy line, tighten the drag all the way down, and just rear back and yank that sucker out and into the boat with no fight.at all. This works for some, however you might blow a reel apart :)
Norm

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster