I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

High sticked a rod, repairable?
Posted by: Adam Lancia (---.hsd1.al.comcast.net)
Date: December 22, 2016 09:49AM

Hi all, I was fishing last week and hooked into a fish fairly close to where I was standing. I set the hook and must have either been a little overzealous or I didn't have the drag backed off enough. Either way, the rod snapped 21" from the tip on a 6'7" rod. It's a medium fast rated 3/16 - 1/2 oz. The I.D. is .158" and the O.D. is .203". What is the best way to repair this? If nothing else, this will give me some practice. I realize the action will change but I'm not really hung up on that as long as I can potentially use the rod again.

Thanks in advance!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: High sticked a rod, repairable?
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: December 22, 2016 10:35AM

[www.rodbuilding.org]

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: December 22, 2016 11:05AM

As Tom's link says, a fiberglass repair blank on the inside and outside of the blank with a short thread wrap at each end of the repair will repair the rod nicely.

One issue you will have is with the location of the break. With the break at 21 inches from the tip of a 6'7" blank, you will certainly stiffen the rod some at this location. Normally in a typical rod, this is the location of the blank where the rods action tends to change and normally there is a lot of flex at the location. As a result of the splice, you will stiffen the rod to some extent - depending on your splice but it will still work for fishing.

Be safe

Date: December 22, 2016 11:14AM

Thank you Tom, that's exactly what I was looking for!

Roger: will that mean a faster blank, or slower?

Does anyone know where I can source the appropriate pieces to splice this rod?

Thank you both!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/22/2016 11:22AM by Adam Lancia.

Posted by: Chuck Mills (---.grenergy.com)
Date: December 22, 2016 11:38AM

One source of fiberglass blank material is a cheap telescoping crappie rod from Walmart. I think I bought a 10 footer for my last repair. Definitely read and follow the article by Ralph O'Quinn. It works. The rod won't be exactly as before, but it will be fishable.

This repair may make the blank slightly stiffer (faster).

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/22/2016 11:39AM by Chuck Mills.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: December 22, 2016 12:11PM

The action won't really change, but the speed of the rod will. The addition of the extra weight will cause the reaction and recovery time to slow a bit. As far as stiffening the blank, using glass instead of graphite will help, but you will likely stiffen the rod at that point a bit. Of course, the alternative is to junk the rod so I'd go ahead and do what you can if you want to salvage it in some form or fashion.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (172.56.39.---)
Date: December 22, 2016 01:06PM

I find a lot of glass rods at garage sales going for $3 to $5 including an old reel, I just throw them in a long cardboard box I have setting vertical in the garage. Gives me old school spare guides and repair materials.

Posted by: Rolly Beenen (---.ontariopowergeneration.com)
Date: December 22, 2016 01:59PM

unless you are coming home I can fix it for you.

Rolly Beenen
Rovic Custom Rods

Date: December 23, 2016 10:15AM

Thanks for all the ideas gentlemen, I really appreciate it!

Rolly: I won't be home anytime soon. Hope things are well up there!

Date: May 04, 2017 07:31PM

After not having this rod in the rotation for 5 months, it's about time I tried my hand at fixing it. I'm not having any luck finding the correct size pieces of blank to use for the repair though. There's one more place I'm going to check that might pan out, bt barring that, do any of you fine gentlemen feel like digging through your stash of broken bits and pieces to see if you have something that I could use...? Fiberglass or graphite is fine as I'm not too worried about the performance characteristics as much as I am about the actual size of the pieces. I have plenty of good Karma to offer in return, plus the shipping costs.

Thanks in advance!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster