I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Help w/thread inlay-hiding the beginning tag
Posted by: Kevin Kelly (---.hsd1.ga.comcast.net)
Date: December 21, 2016 07:19PM

Working on another rod and getting frustrated. I'm putting an inlay on each guide wrap (two per guide, as they're double-footed guides) and am having trouble hiding the cut off end at the beginning of the inlay. I've watched this video, and i can usually do this with nylon thread.

[www.youtube.com]

I'm using a metallic as the inlay, though, and the extra "bite" is making it nearly impossible to pull the inlay thread enough to hide the cut end without pulling it all the way out.If i add more securing wraps, there's way too much tension to pull the inlay through. A couple of securing wraps aren't enough. Is there a way to make this easier? If i slack off on the tension on the thread, it seems the wraps will be too loose to hold.

Help?!?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Help w/thread inlay-hiding the beginning tag
Posted by: Donald La Mar (---.lightspeed.lsvlky.sbcglobal.net)
Date: December 21, 2016 10:25PM

Try this technique. No pull thru / under for the tag.

[www.youtube.com]

Date: December 21, 2016 10:50PM

Thank you Donald!!! I'm embarrassed to confess I'd already seen this clip but completely missed the difference in technique. Went right out to my rod room and tried it. Incredibly quick and simple. I still had five guides to go (total to ten inlays) plus the tip top, and I was dreading every one of them. This is amazing.

Posted by: Norman Miller (---.lightspeed.jcsnms.sbcglobal.net)
Date: December 21, 2016 11:11PM

There are a number of different ways to do a single thread inlay. I hope I can explain the way I do it without confusing you. Start your wrap and when you get to the point where you want your inlay slip a cut piece of your trim thread under the wrap thread with the short end facing toward the guide (toward the direction you are wrapping) and the long end facing in the opposite direction.This trim piece will be held in place by the tension on the wrap thread. Wrap the long end of the trim thread by hand around the blank between the wrapping thread and the end of your wrap a little more than one revolution without spinning the blank. Advance the wrapping thread slightly and slide the long end under the wrapping thread. Both ends of the trim thread are now facing the same direction. Line up these two ends pull tight and wrap over them for a few turns, trim them, and finish wrapping. If you want to do another inlay, then just trim the short end and wrap over the long end till you get the point where you want your next inlay. You can now do your other inlay as shown in the video. I can do this quickly, almost without thinking, and never have to worry about nubs. Hope this helps and is understandable.
Norm

Posted by: David Baylor (---.neo.res.rr.com)
Date: December 23, 2016 07:18AM

Norman, your description is the same way I do it. I think it's not only easier than the method shown in the linked video, but also results in a better looking inlay.

Of course everyone has their preferred method. The description of you method just happens to be my preferred method.

Date: December 23, 2016 09:02AM

Norman, thank you. I think i understand, but help me out. What you're describing sounds to my noob ears like a single turn inlay. How would you do a longer one, like the three turns i'm using on this rod, just keep wrapping the two threads together before you tuck the inlay thread underneath? That it?

Date: December 23, 2016 10:48AM

The video you posted had a single thread inlay so that is what I tried to explain. You can wrap both threads together for a many times you wiish before tucking underneath the wrapping thread. To make a wider trim wrap, Just make as many turns that you want over the wrapping tread without moving the blank, then tuck the trim thread under the wrapping thread and finish wrapping. If you want another inlay just keep the long trim piece in place wrap over it and repeat. Hope this helps.
Norm

Date: December 23, 2016 11:40AM

Kevin, as I'm pretty certain I do it the way Norman described, maybe I can help with the explanation as well.

You're not wrapping both threads at the same time like shown in the video. When you start your inlay, you stop turning the rod, and wrap the inlay thread around the blank by hand. You're actually wrapping the inlay thread over the main wrap thread.

Personally when I stop turning the rod, I bring the main wrap thread off at a slight angle so it creates a small gap. I do as many wraps with the inlay thread as I want, then tuck it's end back under the main wrap thread, and do a couple of wraps over it before stopping to pack it all together with a burnishing tool before continuing the wrap, and trimming its tag end.

Hope that makes sense, as it can read confusing coming from someone that's done it. And Norman, hope I didn't step on your toes.

Date: December 23, 2016 11:56AM

Thanks David for making my explanation clearer. These things become so routine I sometimes forget to mention some important details such as angling the wrapping thread away and then packing everything together. In addition, start and finish your trims at the same point so everything is lined up evenly. This is an easy method to master and gives a very nice inlay with no nubs.
Norm

Posted by: Barry Thomas Sr (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: December 23, 2016 09:07PM

Wrong Info

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 12/23/2016 09:08PM by Barry Thomas Sr.

Date: December 23, 2016 11:49PM

No problem Norman, as you pointed out, it's understandable to leave something out of a description that you find routine. Case in point, I didn't mention starting and ending the inlay wrap at the same plane on the rod blank.

And it is an easy method that gives great results.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster