I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Mudhole laser alignment tool
Posted by: Jon Salter (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: December 21, 2016 06:44PM

I know this cam up in a recent post but I didn't want to derail that one.....has anyone found success with this tool?
Seems to me it is almost impossible to get it straight down the blank.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Mudhole laser alignment tool
Posted by: Matt Wright (---.hsd1.in.comcast.net)
Date: December 21, 2016 07:55PM

I didn't. Just use it as a tape measure.

Posted by: doug raff (---.lightspeed.tukrga.sbcglobal.net)
Date: December 21, 2016 08:35PM

I have the laser alignment tool. Great concept but you're right. Getting it straight in the reel seat and stable is near impossible. I also have issues seeing the laser line towards the tip of the rod.

Posted by: Mark Talmo (---.dsl.lsan03.sbcglobal.net)
Date: December 22, 2016 12:12AM

Lasers are inherently extremely precise, much more so than the eyes and fingers actually using them for guide alignment. Better to use a taught, brightly colored thread fished through the guides to align them. Best to employ a single, precision, repeatable mechanical fixture for each guide all the way down the blank. While requiring some engineering and fabrication on a mill, I do not understand why a similar unit to the one I fabricated is not on the market. All my guides are aligned within 0.005in of each other, first time, every time, no need for eye of finger judgment calls, and repeatable if a guide gets knocked off prior to wrapping. Besides saving time, I know my guides are precisely and easily aligned.

Mark Talmo
FISHING IS NOT AN ESCAPE FROM LIFE BUT RATHER A DEEPER IMMERSION INTO IT!!! BUILDING YOUR OWN SIMPLY ENHANCES THE EXPERIENCE.

Posted by: Donald La Mar (---.lightspeed.lsvlky.sbcglobal.net)
Date: December 22, 2016 08:55AM

I've got one. It works provided you adapt your build process to the laser. Got to start with the tip top then build down the rod to the stripper. And if you have a rod wrapping lathe you've got to keep the rod supports out of the way of the laser light to verify a guide's location, which can mean having to remove the upper rod supports. All in all, a great concept, but a bit of a pain.

I primarily build multi piece fly rods and think (hope) my less technically advanced techniques are sufficient to the task. I think it great that Mark T can align guides to three positions to the right of the decimal. That is precision with a capital P however that might equate to degrees of alignment. But I wonder how precise is enough and just how much addition rod performance results.

Bottom line is I've taken the batteries out of my laser tool so as not to risk damage from non use.

Posted by: Donald R Campbell (---.socal.res.rr.com)
Date: December 22, 2016 06:17PM

I bought one from Mudhole. Tried it and then ended up selling it to a guy in Montana. IMHO a waste of money.

Don Campbell
don@sensorfishingrods.com

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: December 23, 2016 08:38AM

One issue with a laser alignment tool is that a laser light shoots out a 100% straight line light.

But most rod blanks are not 100% straight. There might be a dip here a bend there etc. i.e. nothing out of line to cause any issues with the blank, but of sufficient deviation where a laser light simply will miss the mark of aligning the guides.

Every builder can use his method of aligning guides and each can be completely different, but each can be 100% useful and align guides perfectly for the blank in question.

Good luck

Date: December 23, 2016 01:24PM

Actually, Donald is exactly, if not practically, correct. How precise do the guides really need to be aligned? I do not think I could personally tell a difference in casting distance if the guides were not perfectly aligned. But aesthetically, misaligned guides look very unprofessional. I will keep using my guide alignment / mounting system simply because it is quicker and easier and, of course, precise.

Mark Talmo
FISHING IS NOT AN ESCAPE FROM LIFE BUT RATHER A DEEPER IMMERSION INTO IT!!! BUILDING YOUR OWN SIMPLY ENHANCES THE EXPERIENCE.

Posted by: Gene Beavers (---.rgv.res.rr.com)
Date: December 23, 2016 01:52PM

Mark, Do you have a you tube demo of your alignment system?

Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net)
Date: December 23, 2016 10:49PM

Mark, one of the positives of this site is the sharing on knowledge and ideas. We all benefit from it, and I am sure you have as well. Why are you hesitant in sharing your development?

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: December 24, 2016 08:57AM

Perhaps he wants to patent his invention.

Date: December 27, 2016 01:16AM

Phil & Roger,
I would love to share the workings with everyone here, especially with those who have helped me so much as both of you. At this point, it would unfair to two parties interested in the unit and concept. I guess I’m guilty of trying to hype the concept. But I’ll keep you posted.

Mark Talmo

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster