I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Thread color change after applying pro kote thread finish
Posted by: Gene Beavers (---.rgv.res.rr.com)
Date: December 21, 2016 12:40PM

I just finished building a rod using the bubble gum (pink) color pro wrap nylon and after i applied the thread finish the color of the thread is purple. Anyone have any suggestions, thoughts, etc as to why and how I can get a truer color? Or can tell me what I did wrong.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Thread color change after applying pro kote thread finish
Posted by: Mel Shimizu (---.socal.res.rr.com)
Date: December 21, 2016 12:58PM

It will change. Did you use color preserver? If not, the change will be even more pronounced.

Posted by: Donald La Mar (---.lightspeed.lsvlky.sbcglobal.net)
Date: December 21, 2016 01:04PM

Gene

Did you use the Color Fast nylon or the plain Pro Wrap?

The Color Fast (No Color Preserver needed or "NCP") thread does not require a color preserver ("CP") and the hue shift after applying finish ought to be minimal.

If you did not use the Pro Wrap Color Fast thread and did not apply CP, then the thread hue will change where lighter and pastel colors will darken, sometimes dramatically and unexpectedly. Darker colors hue shift sometimes to nearly black. Blank color is in part a determining factor for the degree of hue shift and direction. Thus the only way to predict results for a thread and blank combination is to finish a test wrap.

My guess is you did not use Color Fast / NCP thread, and if that is the case the options are learn to like purple or remove everything and start again with NCP thread.

Date: December 21, 2016 01:09PM

I did not use color preserver. I failed to check to see if the thread was color fast. Just did and it isn't. I thought I had nothing but color fast thread. I guess that's what I get for thinking! I guess I'll live with it and separate my thread by color fast and non color fast. . . Actually the purple's not a bad color. Thanks all.

Posted by: Lynn Behler (---.97.252.156.res-cmts.leh.ptd.net)
Date: December 21, 2016 08:17PM

What color is the blank?

Date: December 22, 2016 06:33AM

Black

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: December 23, 2016 08:43AM

Gene,
I almost never use color fast or ncp thread. Rather, I typically use nylon thread in the color so that when finish is applied the color changes to the color that I want to be on the rod when finished. I much prefer the brighter and semi translucent look that one gets with using nylon or non color fast thread and no color preserver.

I will obtain a few different thread colors that I think will be close to the final color that I want on the build. Then, I will do a test wrap on a blank and just brush on some alcohol. The color of the thread with the wet alcohol will be virtually identical to the color of the thread with no color preserver on the thread, but a coat or two of thread finish. Then, I will make the decision as to the final thread choice for the build.

Good luck.

Date: December 23, 2016 01:14PM

Ah, Thanks, Roger. I am just starting out with rod building and there are many things I've never even thought of and this is one. I shall try that. I have a few non color fast spools.

Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net)
Date: December 23, 2016 10:40PM

Gene, light colored thread on dark blanks need to be tested as Roger stated above. Colorfast or CP helps but offer a duller color then straight nylon as chalk is added to create the color fastness.

Posted by: David Baylor (---.neo.res.rr.com)
Date: December 24, 2016 03:44AM

Gene, I'm not disagreeing with what Roger said. And Roger, please understand that I am only sharing an experience I had,

With that said, my experience with the color of thread wet with alcohol being the same as thread coated with finish is that it isn't. In my particular instance I was using regular Pro Wrap nylon thread in the 831 Smoke Screen color. I was using it over a Pac Bay Quickline blank with a gloss black finish.

When I wet the thread with alcohol to see what color it would be, it as expected darkened some, but retained its opacity. When I applied finish over it, it lost some of its opacity and was therefore darker than what it had been when simply wet with alcohol. It ended up that I liked the darker color, but its losing some opacity meant that the tag lines for the trim wraps I did, shown through a bit.

So yeah, wetting thread with alcohol will show you its color change, but it may not be quite the same once finish is applied.

As I said ..... just sharing an experience I had.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster