I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

ask a pro?
Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---.res.bhn.net)
Date: December 21, 2016 10:47AM

There are people who win distance casting championships in categories for different types and classes of rods. I imagine these people have certain types of guides and guide train set-ups which they favor. I would appreciate hearing what type and set-up of guides an expert caster recommends. [I don't think guides influence accuracy ?]

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: ask a pro?
Posted by: Bill Sidney (---.gci.net)
Date: December 21, 2016 01:07PM

I am not a pro by a long shot, but GUIDES, line type, & lbs , type an length of rod, as well as reel, all fall into this sport of distance casting ,
I think, could be wrong

William Sidney
AK

Posted by: Donald La Mar (---.lightspeed.lsvlky.sbcglobal.net)
Date: December 21, 2016 01:30PM

Phil

I've not built a rod for competition, but have spoken with those that have. My impression is that it's a bit like a race car vs the daily driver car. You would not drive the racer to the lake nor take the daily driver racing. Not that there are not things to learn from competitions (really important new concepts and techniques have come via rods for competition), but the competitions are about weight and distance and such rods might not be so much fun to fish.

Date: December 21, 2016 01:51PM

The performance of rod blanks, guides, reels, and lines can be and are measured and reported The casting ability of the angler can be measured too, but this fact is apparently of no use to marketers of rod blanks, guides, reels, and lines. Instead we are promised "soulful action" and "most sensitivity" and "smooth casting" and "best guide type/spacing/sizes" - all without a shred of proof or explanation. Many other sports suggest the type of equipment purchased and used should be suited to the ability of the user of this equipment. Is everyone born a master angler and caster?

Posted by: Donald Becker (---.hawaiiantel.net)
Date: December 21, 2016 05:13PM

"There are people who win distance casting championships in categories for different types and classes of rods."

I am sure classifications vary by country. World competitions tend to be more standardized (Depending on where they are held).

Fly rod distance tournaments have classes very different from the typical US & UK competitions having distances cast over 800 feet.

American Casting Association
[www.americancastingassoc.org]

From SportCastUSA.com
EQUIPMENTS

CONVENTIONAL TACKLE
Rod: There shall be no restriction upon length or on the material used in its construction.
Reel: No restrictions.

SPINNING TACKLE
Rod: There shall be no restriction upon length or on the material used in its construction.
Reel: No restrictions.

RUNNING LINE
The running line shall be made of high visibility monofilament material and be the same diameter throughout its entire length. The running line shall have the following minimum diameters:
.35mm (.01378 inch) for the 175 gram weight
.31 mm (.01220 inch) for the 150 gram weight
.28 mm (.01102 inch) for the 125 gram weight
.25 mm (.00984 inch) for the 100 gram weight

SHOCK LINE
The shock line shall be made of high visibility monofilament material, be parallel throughout its entire length, and have the following minimum diameters:
0.75 mm (0.0295 inch) for 175 and 150 gram weights
0.65 mm (0.0256 inch) for the 125 and 100 gram weights

There was a restriction to reels, in that they had to be fishable.

" I imagine these people have certain types of guides and guide train set-ups which they favor. I would appreciate hearing what type and set-up of guides an expert caster recommends. [I don't think guides influence accuracy ?]"

Although not an expert, here is my experience:

Guides used in the US and Australia are typically Pac Bay Minima. Guide size and spacing set up varies by caster (high or low reel). Example: 25 ,20, 20, 16, 16, 12, 12, 12, 12, 12 tip top.
Accuracy meaning consistent left/right with different power applied?

Don Becker

Date: December 22, 2016 02:58PM

Accuracy means the thing on the end of your line lands where you want it. I assume the 800 foot fly cast was launched in a gale from the top of a lighthouse or a mountain?

Posted by: Donald Becker (---.hawaiiantel.net)
Date: December 22, 2016 06:03PM

Phil Ewanicki Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Accuracy means the thing on the end of your line lands where you want it.

For American Casting Association (fly & plug) I understand the desire is to hit a target. The above lint to the American Casting Association will provide the details.

With SportCast, the desire is to cast the farthest within an arc of +/- 15 degrees from center line. This would be using the above listed weights (100, 125, 150, and 175 grams) and appropriate running line and shock leader.

> I assume the 800 foot fly cast was launched in a gale from the top of a lighthouse or a mountain?

Fly rod distance tournaments have classes very different from the typical US & UK competitions having distances cast over 800 feet.

I could have written the above a little better.

American Casting Association fly rod distance tournaments have classes very different from the typical US & UK competitions.

Typical SportCast US and UK competitions have casting distances of about 800 feet or better with sinkers in the range of 100 to 175 grams.

Don Becker

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster