I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

CRB Guide alignment tool "Peep sight"
Posted by: Barry Thomas Sr (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: December 19, 2016 08:58PM

Saw this in the Newest RodMaker, Been using this for Years!

[www.rodbuilding.org]

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: CRB Guide alignment tool "Peep sight"
Posted by: Michael Danek (50.36.229.---)
Date: December 19, 2016 09:45PM

Take the reel foot from an old spinning reel, grind it to a point, works well too.

Posted by: Trace Butkovich (107.77.97.---)
Date: December 19, 2016 10:35PM

Just signed up for a 2 year rod maker subscription!! How's this thing work?

Date: December 20, 2016 12:33AM

Screwed in to a reel seat it gives you a Tell Tale that your seat is straight up for aligning Guides by Eye while Wrapping. Just drilled and taped an old Penn Reel seat. Works Well

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: December 20, 2016 07:48AM

It wasn't in a magazine article - it was in a Mudhole advertisement.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: December 20, 2016 11:38AM

Barry,
Several years ago, I took an old spinning reel and chopped off the foot - at the bottom of the spool.

I cleaned up the erect post and sharpened it to a point.

In use, I just slip it into the reel seat and tighten it down. I sight over the tip of the reel seat foot to align the guides. No cost involved.

Be safe

Posted by: Mud Hole Custom Tackle (---.res.bhn.net)
Date: December 20, 2016 12:11PM

Like most things in rod building, you can certainly "make you own" but the CRB Guide Alignment & Reel Seat Spacer Tool is very handy and serves TWO purposes very well. The first use is for guide alignment ,the second (and very handly) use is for split reel seat installation and alignment. This simple but effective tool takes the guesswork out of reel seat mounting. Its bead sight allows builders to align their seats easily and accurately with their spine marks during the handle construction process. The mounting foot profile is based off industry standard reel size and makes installing popular split reel seats a breeze. Patent Pending.

Easy to use and exceptional value to boot, you won’t regret adding this cool new rod building tool to your line up. Order one today at: [www.mudhole.com]

Regards.
Team Mud Hole Custom Tackle
Web: [www.mudhole.com]
Email: sales@mudhole.com
Toll Free Phone #: 1-866-790-RODS (7637)

Stay Connected with us:
FaceBook: [www.facebook.com]
YouTube: [www.youtube.com]
Instagram: [www.instagram.com]
Tik Tok: Tik Tok: [www.tiktok.com]
Twitter: @mudholetackle

Posted by: Jon Salter (165.160.2.---)
Date: December 20, 2016 03:11PM

Good because the laser one IMO is highly ineffective.....I wouldn't buy that one!

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: December 20, 2016 05:04PM

There are many rod building tools you can make but at some point you have to ask yourself what is your time worth? For the money, I'd have them toss one of these in the bag next time I ordered.

Posted by: Ray Zarychta (---.ri.ri.cox.net)
Date: December 20, 2016 06:06PM

Made my own like the other troops, painted the reel foot bright red and put a strip of gold metallic tape down the middle of the stem, has been working for me but I will be requesting the Mud Hole model with my next order.

Ray Zarychta
Glastonbury, CT

Posted by: jim spooner (---.direcpc.com)
Date: December 21, 2016 10:19AM

Posted by: jim spooner (---.direcpc.com)
Date: December 21, 2016 10:19AM

Posted by: Gib Portwood (---.mycingular.net)
Date: December 21, 2016 12:59PM

I got the mudhole alignment / spacing tool and we are using it on a rod we are building now. I like it. It's easy to use and it wasn't expensive. One thing I did add was neon yellow mark at the front of the "sight" and a very small piece of plastic painted orange at the other end. This helps to make sure we are looking straight down the sight. The only other comment I will make about it is that it is difficult (for my son and I at least) to sight / align guides the further out on the blank you go--especially with smaller, micro sized guides.
I am of the opinion that anyone who devises a method/tool that can easily align a guide and keep it in place while wrapping it, will become rich and/or best friends with all custom rod builders.
We have not tried the guide adhesive method yet, but I'm sure we will soon. My hesitation is using it with an underwrap. I'm scared we will somehow damage or mar the appearance of it.

Hope this info helps you in deciding whether to use the product or not.

Best,
Gib

Date: December 21, 2016 09:36PM

Gib This is How I Wrap Micros

[www.rodbuilding.org] It starts at 72 -75-74 Set foot on top of wrap ,turn a few times pull the foot under and finish up

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 12/21/2016 09:39PM by Barry Thomas Sr.

Posted by: Gib Portwood (208.88.204.---)
Date: December 22, 2016 01:40PM

Interesting concept. We will have to try it. Thanks!

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: December 23, 2016 08:55AM

Gib,
For smaller blanks as well as smaller guides I use ortho bands as shown in the picture. Easy to do and makes for easy wrapping. I have a very small, sharp, pointed side cutter that I use to cut the band when the guide is 1/2 wrapped. No danger to nick a blank or to nick a thread when cutting the band.

[www.rodbuilding.org]

Posted by: Mark Talmo (---.dsl.lsan03.sbcglobal.net)
Date: December 23, 2016 11:56PM

Gib,
My fabricated guide alignment / mounting fixture, admittedly, does not hold the guide while wrapping but it does not have to because the guides are hot-glued to the blank prior to wrapping. I could employ the fixture to do so but do not recognize any advantage.

Mark Talmo
FISHING IS NOT AN ESCAPE FROM LIFE BUT RATHER A DEEPER IMMERSION INTO IT!!! BUILDING YOUR OWN SIMPLY ENHANCES THE EXPERIENCE.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster