I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3
Smaller Spinning Reels
Posted by: jim spooner (---.direcpc.com)
Date: December 19, 2016 11:04AM

Since reel specifications are normally considered when configuring and building spinning rods, it seems reasonable to rethink, or perhaps question the choice of reel if braided line will be used. It’s kind of a “chicken/egg” issue. With the trend toward the use of braided lines (with or without leaders), smaller reels are often a better choice. The larger reels incorporating bigger spool diameters (necessitated by stiffer monofilament/fluorocarbon line), may be an over-kill with the limber braided lines.

It doesn’t make sense to take pains to set up better performing rods with the most efficient guide systems, while keeping weight to a minimum in order to enhance feel/sensitivity only to strap on an over-sized reel. Kinda like a hippo on a race horse. Smaller reels, for obvious reasons, really lend themselves well to the “rapid choke” guide system.

One could argue that bigger reels have better drag systems, but I think most quality spinning reels are more than adequate for the job. I’ve been using (bass fishing)1000 sized reels with up to 20 lb braid for several years and have had no issues whatsoever.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Smaller Spinning Reels
Posted by: Norman Miller (---.lightspeed.jcsnms.sbcglobal.net)
Date: December 19, 2016 11:46AM

I absolutely agree with Jim. I use 1000 - 2500 sized reels with braid for bass and light inshore fishing, with no issues. I was out shopping the other day for a new reel and I noticed spinning reels are getting smaller for a given size. For example, I was looking at a new stradic 3000 which was as small or smaller than my older model 2500. I think some reel manufacturers are also coming to the conclusion that smaller/ lighter is better.
Norm

Posted by: David Hauch (---.lightspeed.sbndin.sbcglobal.net)
Date: December 19, 2016 02:26PM

i stopped using little reels. i like a 3000-3500 size much better. even when using 4lb. line.
brings the line in faster with less revolutions, and line comes off bigger spools better. which cast further.
dave

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: December 19, 2016 02:32PM

x10 on David's comment.

No matter the rod, I use a reel with a large spool. Longer casts and better drag.

Although the spool is large, it is not deep. The large diameter spool really helps to allow for longer casts. The shallow spool also allows the use of braid or other super line without having to put too much line on the spool.

Be safe

Posted by: Ken Finch (---.ip-37-187-147.eu)
Date: December 19, 2016 03:19PM

I find it a double edge sword. A reel with a smaller diameter spool casts further because the line is coming off in smaller coils which are easier for the guides to tame and control but the retrieve ratio is not as good. The smaller reel is lighter but for any given amount of line to play out on drag, the smaller spool has to make more revolutions.

Posted by: David Hauch (---.lightspeed.sbndin.sbcglobal.net)
Date: December 19, 2016 05:07PM

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/19/2016 05:10PM by David Hauch.

Date: December 19, 2016 06:54PM

Actually, there is not that much difference in casting distance when using 10-15 pound braid on a 1000 sized reel vs a 3000 size reel. I have tested casting performance using exactly the same rod with different size reels. It was basically a wash. If you are talking mono/fluro then there is a difference because these lines are much stiffer and coil more. Never had a problem with the drag being deficient on a quality smaller sized reel. I personally like smaller reels, because the whole outfit is lighter and more responsive, but this is just my preference.

Posted by: David Baylor (---.neo.res.rr.com)
Date: December 20, 2016 08:38AM

I'm with David on this, not so much on the casting distance, but on the retrieve speed. As he pointed out, their larger diameter brings in more line per handle revolution. And they also retain a larger diameter after a cast, so you don't have to reel like crazy at the end of a long cast like you would if you made a long cast with a reel that has a smaller diameter spool.

And it has been my experience that the drag definitely works more smoothly on reels with a larger diameter spool.

Then there's the whole balancing of a rod and reel that comes into play. The larger heavier reel is going to help with balancing a longer rod, and one made with a light weight split rear grip.

Smaller and lighter is better, is not always the case. At least not in my book.

Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---.res.bhn.net)
Date: December 20, 2016 09:29AM

The smaller the spool of a spinning reel the more twists it puts in each foot of retrieved line - or line taken against the drag.

Posted by: Drew Longnecker (172.242.191.---)
Date: December 20, 2016 10:07AM

You all bring up good points on reel selection. Part of it is a learning curve. When I goo from a small reel to a larger reel I have to remember to check my retrieve speed and correct it. I also like using as small a reel as possible but bump up against the drag issue when fishing 12 lbs. and above species. If you hook a bigger salmon in a small river and need to slow it down, you'll need the drag only a larger reel gives. If you can't control the fish it loves to take you into any snag it can find. Don't mind losing the fish as much as losing a bunch of $9 lures that they break off and take with them.

Date: December 20, 2016 11:34AM

i do not know what size or brand of spinning reels you are using for bass fishing. I looked up the stats for shimano CI4+ reels, The 1000 reel will retrieve 31" /turn, both the 2500 and 3000 retrieve 35"/turn, and the 4000 retrieves 37"/turn. For a 100' cast it takes 38.7, 34.2, and 32.4 turns to retrieve all the line for 1000, 2500/3000, and 4000 size reels, respectively. Not a lot of difference in my opinion, when compared to the weight savings. I was right when I mentioned above that the new 3000 is the same size as the 2500, the only difference is line capacity. I am not trying to convert anyone to using a smaller reel, as there are trade offs involved in matching reel size, and line type to your rod. Again my preference is to go lighter. I should also mention, that when using braid, I find that line twists are of little consequence when compared to mono/fluoro.
Norm

Date: December 20, 2016 11:44AM

Maximum drag setting for the Stradic 2500/3000 is 20 lbs, for the 4000 it is 24 lbs.
Norm

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: December 20, 2016 11:51AM

Most modern spinning reels, and even bait casters for that matter, have fairly high rotor to handle turn ratios. So the retrieve ratio isn't quite as much of an issue as it would be on something like a fly reel which is a single action mechanism.

Posted by: Frank Gyan (121.140.121.---)
Date: December 20, 2016 02:35PM

Bigger spools give you less twists on your line, since fewer wraps around the spool is needed to retrieve the given length of line. I find this extremely helpful in any situation and always choose the reel with the largest spool that gets the job done.
My choice of spool size:
1000: monofilament and braid under 4lb
2000: 4-5lb mono and braid under 10lb
2500(or Shimano 3000): 6-10lb mono and braid over 10lb

Date: December 20, 2016 07:25PM

Small reels and light lines are designed to catch small fish. The rods and reels are light so the angler's muscle fatigue is minimized, and light rods and reels are a lot of fun to fish with. However, using light tackle is not always "sporting". The problem with using really light tackle to catch larger fish is the angler often fights the fish to exhaustion and releases the fish to die.

Date: December 20, 2016 07:32PM

We are talking about bass fishing, not marlin fishing!
Norm

Posted by: jim spooner (---.direcpc.com)
Date: December 21, 2016 09:07AM

Although there’s some valid “nay-sayer” points made here, some may not be as relevant as they would’ve been 15 years ago. Braided line has been a game-changer and I think, has necessitated a different mind-set when it comes to its use.

While rods and reels can be designed to accommodate both mono and braid, the end product will not be optimized for either. I’m not suggesting that mono (or fluoro) is obsolete, but for me, having the versatility of dual-purpose setups is not worth the trade-offs.

Monofilament lines require reels with larger pool diameters with greater capacity. Line twist is also a significant concern. Rod requirements also have to accommodate line memory and strive to tame the line coming off the spool. I expect that at some point in the future, we’ll see reels specifically designed for braided lines with higher gear ratios to increase line take-up. If you think about it, the spool diameters of small reels are about the same diameters as our bait-casting reels.

Fortunately, we can build rods utilizing smaller guides that are specifically setup to optimize the use of braided line. Pairing with a smaller/lighter reel can result in a rig that’s more responsive and less fatiguing, with as much capability of its heavier mono-friendly cousin.

Rod balance has been brought up and I think there are far better ways of balancing a rod if it’s tip heavy. A lighter reel will change the feel of the rod dynamically (for the better) during the cast and may take some getting used to. Weight hanging below the axis of a rod is not necessarily a good thing.

Like anything else, there’s a point of diminishing returns, but I’ve seen some really nice, well set up rods paired with over-sized boat anchor reels.

Date: December 21, 2016 10:34AM

Some fresh water anglers fish for carp, catfish, muskies, salmon: fish which can weigh 50 pounds or more - not just large mouth bass. Salt water anglers constantly face the possibility of hooking a fish weighing well over 20 pounds, and there are thousands of such species in the sea, not just marlin. It's not "sporting" to hunt big game with a .22 caliber rifle and it's not "sporting" to play big fish to death with light tackle. Fortunately, largemouth bass seldom fight long enough to kill themselves with exhaustion.

Date: December 21, 2016 12:06PM

Phil, I have caught a number of large fresh water and salt water species using a 2500 reel filled with 15- 20 lb braid on a rod built using KR microguides. Small reels with braid match up very nicely with these type of rods. We are not talking about ultra light rods using ultralight reels filled with ultra light line. No these are high performance combinations that perform as well if not better than more conventional spinning set ups. These modern spinning reels have high performance drags and even though they are small they hold more than enough braid to get the job done. In fact, many of these smaller reels will hold more braid with a higher break strength than larger reels filled with the mono/fluoro line of the same breaking strength.

Date: December 21, 2016 03:36PM

Norman: Your comments about braid and line capacity are correct. However, the key to landing fish without stressing them to death lies in steadily applying enough pounds of drag pressure - something at which small reels suffer strict limitations. Unfortunately, some species of fish will kill themselves fighting unless you can horse them in. Tuna, for example, but not LMB for sure, or even Muskies. I'll stick with suggesting the right size tackle for the right size and species of fish.

Pages: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster