I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Thanks for the knowlege
Posted by: Wiley Wells (---.cinci.res.rr.com)
Date: December 18, 2016 05:32PM

First off, I have never built a rod in my life. I have replaced tips but that is the extent of my knowledge. I am eagerly waiting on retirement and plan to take rod building up as a hobby. Before diving into this venture I am spending hours upon hours reading the messages and going through the library on this forum. I must say, this group of members is not only the most knowledgeable but also very eager to help. I want to thank you all for taking the time to not only share your knowledge, but also to jump in and help others when they have questions. I am so engrossed in the reading that I probably wont order my first kit and tools until after the first of the year. Until them, thanks again and keep educating me and the hundreds if not thousands of others who are benefitting from your knowledge and graciousness. You guys are true professionals.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Thanks for the knowlege
Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: December 18, 2016 05:57PM

Wiley,
If you can, do yourself a favor and find a rod building class or another rod builder who can spend some time with you.

If you have a good builder by your side to answer questions, you can avoid mistakes and quickly keep your learning on the right track.

Good luck

Posted by: Lynn Behler (---.97.252.156.res-cmts.leh.ptd.net)
Date: December 18, 2016 08:38PM

X10 Roger.

Posted by: Gib Portwood (208.88.204.---)
Date: December 19, 2016 04:20PM

roger wilson Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Wiley,
> If you can, do yourself a favor and find a rod
> building class or another rod builder who can
> spend some time with you.
>
> If you have a good builder by your side to answer
> questions, you can avoid mistakes and quickly keep
> your learning on the right track.
>
> Good luck

I whole heartedly agree with this idea. If you can watch someone's process for doing things, ask questions, etc, the time and money saved as well as the quality of your first few finished products will go up dramatically!

Posted by: Wiley Wells (---.cinci.res.rr.com)
Date: December 19, 2016 07:34PM

I found a two-day class offered by Mud Hole about 4 hours north of me. The class isn't until May so it looks like I will have plenty of time to watch videos and read articles and try to learn as much as possible before the class. Thanks guys. BTW, any female rod-builders on here or just a bunch of old guys?

Posted by: Mark Talmo (---.dsl.lsan03.sbcglobal.net)
Date: December 19, 2016 09:25PM

I have been building rods for less than one year, but many within this forum have been graciously generous with their knowledge, assistance, suggestions and ideas to shorten my learning curve drastically. And Tom Kirkman keeps all the wheels greased from which all of us benefit.

Mark Talmo
FISHING IS NOT AN ESCAPE FROM LIFE BUT RATHER A DEEPER IMMERSION INTO IT!!! BUILDING YOUR OWN SIMPLY ENHANCES THE EXPERIENCE.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster