I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Questions About Slide Bands w/ Long Cork Handle.
Posted by: Ian Nicol (---.hlrn.qwest.net)
Date: December 18, 2016 03:34PM

Hi: I’m new here, but I’ve been browsing/searching here a bunch.

The Blank: 7’9” 6 weight fly in four sections (“bugchucker” on closeout from T.L. Johnson)…to be a close presentation rod with submerged trees being one application. It would also be a way to experiment with the impact of shorter rod lengths on close casting. Goal is mostly functional, not fancy. (Note: RM Front Range bass run tiny-4 pounds and eat small stuff so 6 weight bass fishing is good.)

I’m throwing this idea against the wall: an 18-22” cork handle with two slide bands (wedding bands) that would allow a complete range of reel positions. I’m willing to experiment with the line path and “super long butt” issues. The stripping guides will be upsized. I actually have two of these blanks so a “normal” reel seat and grip is always an option.

Hypothetical process: glue cork rings to blank, turn down the handle to a close fit for the wedding bands, sand a “track” for the reel foot on one side of the grip.

QUESTIONS:

Grip/handle stability and durability: Are there any special considerations about sanding the track? Is the shape of the track very precise? Is there a potential for the reel to twist or roll given the softness and or fragility of the cork base? Superficial permanent impressions in the cork are acceptable but functional degradation of the handle is not.

Ring Size: I have two 1” I.D. knurled anodized aluminum rings in good condition with a nice dull brass finish. Nickel steel rings with a .69 I.D. are easily obtainable, blued or silver I like small grips but is .69 too small? I could sand it down to 31/32nds and test cast it with the reel taped or lashed.

Thoughts, questions, suggestions most welcome…

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Questions About Slide Bands w/ Long Cork Handle.
Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: December 18, 2016 06:03PM

Ian,
I would like to suggest that you forget about using slide bands for your reels.
Rather, finish your cork grip in the way you want it finished to the size that is comfortable for you.

Then, locate the place where you want to place a reel, and put a couple of wraps of tape where the front slide band would be and a couple of wraps of tape where the rear slide band would be located on the cork.

Just put the 2 wraps on the bare cork at this location and leave these two wraps on the cork no matter the reel that you use.

Then, place your reel on this location, like it up with your guides and use two or three wraps of tape on the rear of the reel seat and two or three wraps of tape on the front of the reel seat.
I just use black electrical tape for this purpose. I keep a roll of tape in the tackle box, so if you need to replace the tape you will have fresh tape handy.

When you change or move a reel, leave the original double wrap of tape on the rod. The wraps will protect the cork and keep the tape from pulling out pieces of cork when if you remove the tape.

Just put fresh tape over the reel seat and the tape under wrap and continue fishing. The under wraps stay on the cork to protect the cork.

Simple nothing under your hand to intrude on comfort or sensitivity and the tape works very well.

Be safe

Date: December 18, 2016 06:53PM

Thanks for this suggestion, which is something that I have considered but have never tried. I'm not wild about the glue in electrical tape but I have some other good options: polyester ribbon (99 cents a spool from Joanne Fabrics) secured with a tape wrap or tennis overgrips (like thin synthetic leather).

Followup question... When I've used electrical tape for fishing equipment it has tended to misbehave in the cold and the wet. It comes off my spey rods when I use it on the junctions of four piece rods. Are you using 3m, or what?

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: December 18, 2016 06:58PM

I use the 3m electrical tape and have 0 issues with the tape.

Be safe

Posted by: Andy Stromsness (192.193.171.---)
Date: December 19, 2016 12:39PM

Look for a product called "Cold Snap Reel Wraps" on the web. We use these for ice rods with great success.

Date: December 19, 2016 07:14PM

I've never seen those before, thanks!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster