I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Writing on blanks
Posted by: Jon Stevens (---.sub-174-197-6.myvzw.com)
Date: December 18, 2016 10:46AM

I was given a foil pen from my friend that introduced me to rod building. I hadn't tried it until recently and realized how nice it is compared to my old method of an inkwell pen and india ink. My only problem is I am having trouble finding the correct heat foil. I have purchased some from multiple locations but none has transferred well. My question is; does anyone have a good source for heat foil paper? Does anyone still use this method? Is there a better option for writing so fine and concise on the blank?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Writing on blanks
Posted by: Lynn Behler (---.97.252.156.res-cmts.leh.ptd.net)
Date: December 18, 2016 02:31PM

Jon, unhide your e-mail.

Posted by: Jon Stevens (---.sub-174-197-6.myvzw.com)
Date: December 18, 2016 04:12PM

Done.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: December 18, 2016 06:04PM

I use speed ball acrylic ink and a quill pen for all of my writing now and it simple continues to work very well.

Be safe

Date: December 18, 2016 08:37PM

Jon, I hope I have the right stuff. I got it from Dale Clemens in the late 70's, and was to be used with a heat embossing pen similar to a wood burning tool. Lynn

Posted by: Jon Stevens (---.dsl.airstreamcomm.net)
Date: December 19, 2016 02:06AM

I'm sure it is. The "pen" plugs in and heats like a wood burning tool. Its called "The gold writer 101" by veach. They make a lot of embossing tools. Unfortunately, their newer foil seems to need more heat. Being left handed, I prefer it over the quill pen. Its not often, but I say a few choice words when I drag my hand through my already "sketchy" writing.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: December 19, 2016 08:47AM

Jon,
I had your same problem. i.e. being left handed and having writing issues. I solved the problem by letting my wife do all of the rod writing. She is an artist and does a job many times better than I could ever do.

Also, she enjoys it as well.

Be safe

Date: December 20, 2016 04:15PM

Jon, package sent. Lynn

Posted by: Mark Talmo (---.dsl.lsan03.sbcglobal.net)
Date: December 21, 2016 01:09AM

I have an inquiring mind and need to know; what are you guys talking about? I would love to have a method of FINELY printing on a blank or rod but the only thing I have seen is Mud Hole’s “Metallic ink pens” which are too big. Most of the wrap epoxies are relatively mild but that is also a concern when considering the ink and bleeding possibilities.

Mark Talmo
FISHING IS NOT AN ESCAPE FROM LIFE BUT RATHER A DEEPER IMMERSION INTO IT!!! BUILDING YOUR OWN SIMPLY ENHANCES THE EXPERIENCE.

Posted by: Norman Miller (---.lightspeed.jcsnms.sbcglobal.net)
Date: December 21, 2016 09:34AM

I use Dr. PH Martins iridescent calligraphy ink with a fine nib dip pen. This is the best I have found for writing on a blank. It is waterproof and permanent. I use mostly gold, silver, and black. Can be thinned with a drop of two of isopropyl alcohol to get a good flow.
Norm

Date: December 21, 2016 07:25PM

This stuff is a 1" wide I'm gonna say mylar ribbon with gold heat transfer medium on the rear side. You had to cut a piece as long as needed and tape it to the blank tightly, and write on the front side with a heat embossing pen. The ribbon was then removed leaving the desired imprint on the blank. People more skilled than myself got good results using this stuff. I generally ended up sanding it off and trying again. However, I did not have the proper pen and resorted to more caveman like methods with little success. The packrat in me kept the stuff. This is the first time I've ever heard it mentioned. I shall no longer have to look at it!

Posted by: Mark Talmo (---.dsl.lsan03.sbcglobal.net)
Date: December 24, 2016 12:01AM

Norman,
Do those pens come with or without attached feathers?

Mark Talmo
FISHING IS NOT AN ESCAPE FROM LIFE BUT RATHER A DEEPER IMMERSION INTO IT!!! BUILDING YOUR OWN SIMPLY ENHANCES THE EXPERIENCE.

Posted by: Norman Miller (---.lightspeed.jcsnms.sbcglobal.net)
Date: December 24, 2016 10:09AM

The feathered one are becoming harder and harder to find!
Norm

Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net)
Date: December 27, 2016 10:40PM

Yeah, they seem to fly off the shelf!

Posted by: Jon Stevens (168.251.2.---)
Date: December 29, 2016 08:52PM

Lynn hit the nail on the head with his explanation....Besides "The ribbon was then removed leaving the desired imprint on the blank." Rarely it's what I desire, but it suits a simple name or inscription. Thank you Lynn for your generosity. I should be set for quite some time. I can only hope my pen doesn't bite the dust any time soon.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster