I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Static test guide tie thought
Posted by: Jon Salter (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: December 17, 2016 04:39PM

Well I am a noob but as I was doing my test I tried the latex tube, both on the rod and using it as a tie, and I tried tape both I didn't like.
I went to the garage and pulled out 4" small tie wraps and loved them....I started with the spacing a little wider than I thought it needed so I could move and tighten if I had to.
When I was done I took a razor and cut through them using the guide to protect the blank.....worked like a charm.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Static test guide tie thought
Posted by: Lynn Behler (---.97.252.156.res-cmts.leh.ptd.net)
Date: December 17, 2016 04:59PM

I tried orthodontic ligatures as per Roger. Best thing ever.

Date: December 17, 2016 05:10PM

You mean the tiny rubber bands?

Posted by: Capt. Michael Harmon (107.77.106.---)
Date: December 17, 2016 05:12PM

Like Lynn said the orthodontic bands work great for the small diameter areas and latex tubes for the large diameter areas.

Posted by: Michael Danek (50.36.229.---)
Date: December 17, 2016 05:12PM

I tried the ligatures, didn't like them. Right now I'm still on the old very skinny strips of good quality masking tape. Will try the cable ties.

Posted by: Michael Danek (50.36.229.---)
Date: December 17, 2016 05:32PM

Jon, since your are a self-professed noob, here is a caution you may not know about when moving/adjusting guide positions on blanks. Some blanks, especially glossy blanks, are very sensitive to scratching. Some guides may have a burr on the bottom. It's a good idea to run the bottom of the guide feet over a piece of 200 grit sandpaper a few strokes to remove any burr that might be there. And be careful of moving guides if those cable ties are pretty tight.

Date: December 17, 2016 08:17PM

I suppose for larger blank diameters small o rings would also work. I sometimes will use two and possibly three if the guide has a long foot. You can wrap up to them and then roll them up the foot. When you start running out of room cut them off one at a time. Very small ones will stretch a long way. Don't ask me to quote sizes! I walked into the local orthodontists office, asked if they had any such thing and they gave some to me.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: December 17, 2016 10:17PM

To help with the cutting situation, try using a pair of side cutters.

I had a few different ones that I put to the sander to sharpen the tips and make them able to cut the ties or bands without touching the blank. Great way to avoid damage to the blank.

An example:

[www.amazon.com]

But, then even after getting a cutter as shown above, further thinned the ends of the jaws so that they are micro sized with ultra sharp tips.

[www.amazon.com]

[www.amazon.com]

[www.tedpella.com]

[www.tedpella.com]

Posted by: Herb Ladenheim (---.lightspeed.wepbfl.sbcglobal.net)
Date: December 17, 2016 11:20PM

Guides will scratch your blank as you move them and it takes much too long to do so.
If you need 10 guides - slides 11 or 12 neoprene "O" rings of appropriate diameter onto the blank and run your line through the rings. Now you can slide the rings back and forth to get the proper spacing. Good only for rods with reel under the blank (fly and spinning).
Herb

Posted by: David Baylor (---.neo.res.rr.com)
Date: December 18, 2016 03:08AM

I can't remember the name of the member or I would give him credit. He mentioned using elastic thread to tie the guides on, so I gave it a try. It works great.

I ended up going to Pat Catans (or any similar store) and getting the thread used for making beaded braclets and necklaces. What I found was a rubber or silicone rubber string. Very stretchy and gives a great grip on the rod blank. A couple of wraps around the blank, tie an overhand knot, and it's good to go.

It holds so well that I have done some pretty hard test casting and the guides have barely moved from their positions.

Good stuff, and easy to cut with a pair of wrapping scissors when the time comes.

Posted by: Jay Dubay (---.try.wideopenwest.com)
Date: December 18, 2016 07:42AM

I have also read some guys use Atlas Magic Thread, Or Miracle Thread, Used for spawn - bait- sacks, It supposed to work Great as it sticks to itself no tieing involved. I forgot to order it at Jann's on my last order so I have yet to test it yet. Jaa

Posted by: Woody Davis (---.mc.at.cox.net)
Date: December 18, 2016 08:44AM

I use the elastic thread also....get if from the Fabric store ---works great for me,,,,,,<><

Woody Davis <><

Posted by: Gary Kilmartin (---.sub-174-221-131.myvzw.com)
Date: December 18, 2016 11:08AM

After trying elastic thread, cable ties, and masking tape, I now use surgical tubing. Mudhole and getbit both sell this. Get all four sizes. Cut to the length desired and slide on the blank. Easy to move during static testing, and hold more than well enough for wrapping. They will slide up the guide foot when wrapping. Cut them off with a razor blade, cutting down onto the guide foot. Cut longer lengths for large guides. Cheap and effective.

Mr Danek's comment about scratching the blank with unprepped guide feet is spot on. Been there, done that, no tee shirt. I prep all guides now, before static testing

Date: December 18, 2016 11:18AM

Gary...how do manage with the thick portion of the blank? Difficult to slide the tubing down there.

Posted by: Donald R Campbell (---.socal.res.rr.com)
Date: December 18, 2016 04:13PM

David Baylor Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I can't remember the name of the member or I would
> give him credit. He mentioned using elastic thread
> to tie the guides on, so I gave it a try. It works
> great.
>
> I ended up going to Pat Catans (or any similar
> store) and getting the thread used for making
> beaded braclets and necklaces. What I found was a
> rubber or silicone rubber string. Very stretchy
> and gives a great grip on the rod blank. A couple
> of wraps around the blank, tie an overhand knot,
> and it's good to go.
>
> It holds so well that I have done some pretty hard
> test casting and the guides have barely moved from
> their positions.
>
> Good stuff, and easy to cut with a pair of
> wrapping scissors when the time comes.

David,

DITTO for me ' been using elastic thread for about 4 years now. It works great and if you need another guide, you just tie it on. But it at Walmart in the yardage shop.

Don Campbell
don@sensorfishingrods.com

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/18/2016 04:14PM by Donald R Campbell.

Posted by: Herb Ladenheim (---.lightspeed.wepbfl.sbcglobal.net)
Date: December 18, 2016 11:31PM

That was me with the elastic thread

Have to give credit to my wife though.
She buys it to make bracelets.
Since it is always around the house. It looked like a natural for guides.
When I send out anow unbuilt CTS demo blank I tie on guides with the elastic thread and guides hold their position during the test casts.
Herb
CTS Blanks

Posted by: David Baylor (---.neo.res.rr.com)
Date: December 20, 2016 08:43AM

Herb, as soon as I saw your name on the forum list page as the last reply to this thread, I said to myself ...... THAT'S the guy you posted that idea. lol

Just wanted to thank you for posting that little trick. I gave it a try on the next build I did after reading it. It works great!

Thank you

Date: December 20, 2016 09:12PM

If you have all your guides wrapped and for some reason you should have to rewrap one, this is where elastic thread saves the day. You can pinch the thread and the toe of the guide foot to the blank, make a few wraps and tie an overhand knot in the thread. The wraps can be distributed along the foot until the guide is in intimate contact with the blank. Wrap up to the elastic thread, push it toward the heel and so forth. When you get far enough cut the elastic. Tape is a p.i.a. for any number of reasons!

Posted by: Mark Talmo (---.dsl.lsan03.sbcglobal.net)
Date: December 21, 2016 01:51AM

You guys and this site are awesome. Elastic thread? Never heard of it before but I will definitely find some tomorrow!!!

Mark Talmo
FISHING IS NOT AN ESCAPE FROM LIFE BUT RATHER A DEEPER IMMERSION INTO IT!!! BUILDING YOUR OWN SIMPLY ENHANCES THE EXPERIENCE.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster