I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pro Kote epoxy color ?
Posted by: David Hauch (---.lightspeed.sbndin.sbcglobal.net)
Date: December 17, 2016 10:56AM

hey guys,
i have 2oz. bottles of Pro Kote medium thread epoxy. i used some last winter on a rod. it's been seal and at room temp.
i see the color of the hardener is the color of apple juice. i don't remember if it was that color before, i'm concerned about using it know.
anyone know if this the original color, or should it be clear ?

thx dave

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Pro Kote epoxy color ?
Posted by: Steve Monroe (---.kya.res.rr.com)
Date: December 17, 2016 11:02AM

Normal, no issue.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: December 17, 2016 11:17AM

All epoxy hardeners will amber/yellow over a bit of time, both in the bottle and on the rod.

Date: December 17, 2016 11:27AM

so i'm guessing this hardner was clear when new?
if i apply this hardner now, will it have this yellow tint to it right now on the rod ?

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: December 17, 2016 12:34PM

Yes and no. In a thin application such as you'd have with a guide wrap coating, it's not really noticeable unless it's applied over white thread. In any case, even if the hardener were clear now, it would still take on that same color at some point after you had applied it to the wraps.

Posted by: Donald La Mar (---.lightspeed.lsvlky.sbcglobal.net)
Date: December 17, 2016 12:40PM

No and probably not.

Seriously, it is not unusual for the hardner to be yellow / light brown. And it should clear when mixed and remain clear on the rod - for a while. As Tom K noted above, epoxy does yellow with time and exposure to UV radiation. The clarity difference between epoxy and long oil spar varnish is the spar starts life with a light amber tint so the darkening of the finish is a bit less noticeable over time.

The ultimate clarity is probably an acrylic or urethane finish. But hey have their issues as well.

If you want to put your mind at ease, mix a test batch of the epoxy you have on hand and apply to a test wrap. I'll wager it will be fine.

Date: December 17, 2016 02:20PM

hey thanks guys. thats what i was looking for, the technical info on this yellowing.
going on dark thread, so i'll be good then. just thought i better ask first. or i should have just done a test.

thx again for your help, dave

Posted by: Gib Portwood (208.88.204.---)
Date: December 19, 2016 04:27PM

Really? I wouldn't know for sure, but a guy at mudhole told me that the prokote has a "shelf life" once it is opened. He said something to the effect that once you've opened a container that you need to use everything in it within 4 months or so or it will go bad. Is that not the case?

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster