I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Razor blades!?!
Posted by: mike langevin (---.nycmny.fios.verizon.net)
Date: December 16, 2016 08:05PM

It seems to me that overall the quality and utility of single edge razor blades has dropped significantly. It seems like a few cuts through thread and then their dull. Does anyone recommend a brand of razor blade that outlasts others in terms of keeping an edge longer?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Razor blades!?!
Posted by: Lynn Behler (---.97.252.156.res-cmts.leh.ptd.net)
Date: December 16, 2016 08:54PM

Razor blades can be resharpened quite easily.

Posted by: gary Marquardt (---.hsd1.mi.comcast.net)
Date: December 16, 2016 10:11PM

I've gone to using old school double edged blades. In fact Shark brand makes a half blade. About $8 for 100 on amazon.

Posted by: Jay Dubay (---.try.wideopenwest.com)
Date: December 16, 2016 11:41PM

Get a Bread Lame to hold you double edge blades that will give you 4 corners and the curved one will give you a curved middle to use also, Lots of cutting edges on one single blade. Here's a link [www.amazon.com]

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: December 17, 2016 03:09AM

The person who taught me how to wrap rods used a pair of Dr. Slick fly tying scissors for all of his thread cutting and trimming.

After building a few rods, I followed his example and purchased a pair of scissors. This was many years ago and I still am using the same scissors today after building many many rods.

I do my own sharpening and I sharpen these scissors about every two years. No razor blades, or other single edged knives. No issue in nicking a thread with the scissors as can happen with a razor blade.

[www.amazon.com]

Posted by: Drew Longnecker (172.242.191.---)
Date: December 17, 2016 07:45AM

I buy dollar store disposable multi-blade razors. Break the blades out of the housing and I have multiple, very sharp blades at very little money.

Posted by: Herb Ladenheim (---.lightspeed.wepbfl.sbcglobal.net)
Date: December 17, 2016 07:48AM

Get a supply of DISPOSABLE scalpels.
But if you put more wraps over pull through and cut tag end almost flush you will not have need for a blads.

Herb

Posted by: Harry Kelly (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: December 17, 2016 08:15AM

I like to use the carpet installers blades....they are double edged so i put a piece of tape over one side till i need it...they last a long time and i think they are sharper than the regular razor blade...

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: December 17, 2016 09:23AM

I use Persona blades designed for finish trimming after a haircut, they are maybe 50% longer and narrower than a normal blade you buy at the store. they are also much sharper and keep a good edge. I buy them a Sally's, or similar beauty care stores.

Posted by: Dennis Danku (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: December 17, 2016 10:52AM

I'm with Spencer. The hairdresser blades are sharper than scalpel blades I have once used. So sharp in fact that all you have to do is touch the thread and pull on the tag end . You'll never go back to any other blade.

Dennis J. Danku
(Sayreville,NJ)

Posted by: larry basilio (---.phlapa.fios.verizon.net)
Date: December 17, 2016 12:11PM

I'm with harry. I like the carpet blades, I do the same put tape over one end

Posted by: John Torchick (---.dhcp.jcsn.tn.charter.com)
Date: December 17, 2016 02:15PM

I use an Xacto knife with the #11 blade. If you have a Hobby Lobby near by, you can download their app and automatically get 40% off your purchase. SWMBO has it on her Android
I use the new blades for cutting and trimming thread. I mark the old blades with a Sharpie and put them in a separate pill bottle and use them for other cutting chores that don't require the scary sharp edge.

Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---.res.bhn.net)
Date: December 17, 2016 03:21PM

Double-edge razor blades are MUCH sharper than single edged blades and have twice the amount of cutting edge. Simply bend the double-edged blade in half [the long way] until it breaks and fold a strip of masking tape over the broken edge. It beats sharpening single edge razors or napping flint knives, even if it isn't as "crafty".

Date: December 17, 2016 03:38PM

Thanks all a lot of good stuff here!

Posted by: Woody Davis (---.mc.at.cox.net)
Date: December 17, 2016 05:14PM

I use the Persona blades....lot sharper and last much longer than standard blades.....

Woody Davis <><

Date: December 18, 2016 07:44PM

I just got the fly tying scissors and 100 persona blades! I'm gonna be cutting up everything

Posted by: Mud Hole Custom Tackle (---.res.bhn.net)
Date: December 20, 2016 07:36PM

Lots of good ideas here! We offer single edge razor blades in 100 packs [www.mudhole.com] and now smaller 10 packs [www.mudhole.com].

In the middle of the road we offer scissors [www.mudhole.com] and exacto knife [www.mudhole.com]

We also offer ceramic scissors which work very well but are pricey - they will cut even the finest brads. [www.mudhole.com]

Regards.
Team Mud Hole Custom Tackle
Web: [www.mudhole.com]
Email: sales@mudhole.com
Toll Free Phone #: 1-866-790-RODS (7637)

Stay Connected with us:
FaceBook: [www.facebook.com]
YouTube: [www.youtube.com]
Instagram: [www.instagram.com]
Tik Tok: Tik Tok: [www.tiktok.com]
Twitter: @mudholetackle

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: December 20, 2016 11:46PM

The scissors that Mud Hole has work well for chopping thread. I have several that are similar and I use them all of the time.

But I don't use these scissors for close trimming of thread wraps. Rather, the use of Dr. Slick's fly tying scissors with its fine tip works well for this job.

Be safe

Posted by: John Shear (199.116.173.---)
Date: December 22, 2016 10:36AM

Online you can find a box of 100 #11 scalpel blades with metal handle for less than $10 with free shipping. WAY sharper than any razor blade or hobby knife! The only downside is you gotta be really careful handling it so you don't accidentally nick any wrap threads. ;)

John Shear
Chippewa Falls, WI

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster