I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Lamiglas SI Rod Handle Panel Material
Posted by: Lam Nguyen (107.77.97.---)
Date: December 16, 2016 04:02AM

I am in the process of designing a handle for a St Croix SCV 9'6" 4-8lb line rating blank that I will use as a bank drifting rod for winter steelhead in the Pacific Northwest. The guides will be 14 Fuji Titanium SiC microguides tapering down from stripper size 10 to size 3.5 ring sizes. The reelseat will be a Fuji dual trigger reelseat. I have built several rods with these guides and reelseats and am extremely happy with them. This rod will be built as a casting rod and paired with the new Shimano Stile 101XG baitcasting reel.

I am struggling with the reargrip and foregrip design and materials. I do know that the reargrip will be 13" and foregrip 2.5". I would also like to use flor grade cork with various cork and acrylic inlay as well as a steelhead etching on the reargrip. I thought about using carbon fiber for increased sensitivity and decreased weight but I can't do intricate designs with this material and I like the look of cork handles. This rod will be built for my own use and I would like it to be as custom as possible while keeping in mind balance and weight.

I plan to apply a thin layer of guide epoxy, CPXtra or polyurethane on the cork handle to make it more durable. I will experiment with these 3 materials on scrap cork first before deciding on which one to use. I plan to apply several coats of U-40 on the handle first then apply epoxy hoping that the cork would not turn darker from epoxy coating. I understand that the epoxy will add weight to the rod but thought weight might be negligible since it's in the reargrip. The reason why I would like to coat this rod handle is because I find that the cork on a couple of my rods scraped off where my elbow touches the handle. With steelhead fishing I tend to set hook a lot and the elbow can rub against the cork. Applying epoxy will help protect and preserve the labor-intensive handle.

Because it can get subfreezing weather during winter steelhead fishing the epoxy coated handle will be cold to hold. Therefore I thought about materials that I could use right after the reelseat to keep my hand warm when I palm my reel. Because my palm only touches about 1.5 inches of the reargrip when I palm the reel I thought I would need about 2 inches of something comfortable and warm to cover up the epoxy. I thought about using shrink wrap or rod handle tape but wanted something more custom and permanent.

I would like to use something similar to the rubbery-like material that covers the top and bottom sections of the carbon fiber reargrip on the Lamiglas SI rods. There was mentioning of it being called 'handle panel' but a Google search came up empty. Do any of you guys know what this material is and where I can get my hands on some? Or do any of you have any idea on other materials I could use? I thought I would seek info on this forum first before contacting Lamiglas.

Thank you all in advance.

Edited 5 time(s). Last edit at 12/16/2016 04:13AM by Lam Nguyen.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Lamiglas SI Rod Handle Panel Material
Posted by: Jay McKnight (---.dhcp.aldl.mi.charter.com)
Date: December 16, 2016 07:06AM

Why not just coat your grip with tru-oil? Works excellent on natural cork and burl, doesn't feel cold in the winter.

Posted by: Capt. Michael Harmon (---.mycingular.net)
Date: December 16, 2016 08:02AM

You can draw and paint a design on a carbon grip or use a decal design then coat with epoxy.

Posted by: stan mclean (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: December 16, 2016 10:40AM

Don't know what the material Lamiglas is using, sorry. If it were me I'd flock it, lots of colors to choose from and tough.
Good luck.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (172.56.38.---)
Date: December 16, 2016 11:25AM

I'm with Stan, flock it, few if any on the river will have a similar grip no matter where you go and it's not a heavy option. Had this discussion before, long ago, standard wall thickness graphite tube you buy from our suppliers is neither lighter nor more sensitive than cork rings.

Posted by: Lam Nguyen (162.119.11.---)
Date: December 16, 2016 01:14PM

Thank you for all the good advice/suggestions.

Jay - I have used tru-oil before and, similar to U-40, I don't think it's hardy enough to prevent my rod handle from rubbing off. I thought a light coat of epoxy will do a much better job of preventing this rub off.

Michael - I agree that I can draw and paint then epoxy on carbon handles....however I can't do jig checkered patterns and carve/etch images on CF handles compared to cork handles.

Stan and Spencer - I have never heard of 'flocking'. Did some reading online and this seems like a really good idea! I will look into it some more and keep this in mind as an option.

I am going to contact Lamiglas today hoping they can sell me a foot or two of this 'handle panel' that they used for their SI rods.

I will also read more about flocking. Just from initial reading it seems like a really good way to coat handles.....nonslip, durable, warm, not a lot of added weight

Spencer, I agree with you about CF handles not being lighter or more sensitive than cork rings. Plus I am more drawn to the look of a cork handle than CF handle. But to each their own and who knows, I may change my mind and go CF route down the road.

Thanks again!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/16/2016 01:14PM by Lam Nguyen.

Posted by: Michael Danek (50.36.229.---)
Date: December 16, 2016 10:04PM

Winn Grip wrap-on tape would feel good and warm and could easily be replaced if it starts looking ratty.

Posted by: Dennis Danku (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: December 17, 2016 12:24PM

Lam, What your looking for is a raw hide boot lace handle, Lather up the butt of your blank with a little rod bond and from the reel seat start warping the lacing onto the blank (packing tightly) to the butt end. Wrap the ends with tape until the rod bond cures (3 days for sure). Of course you have to clean any rod bond off that shows with alcohol. When all is clean and dry(cured) chuck the rod in your lathe and buff the rawhide with 120 grit sand paper until you have a uniform texture and then go over it with a 3-M Scotch Brite (red) pad. Depending on the diameter of your blank you may have to add carbon fiber tubing if you like a meat'er grip But this will end your problem of blowing out the section where your elbow comes in contact and the buffing makes it feel like suede. Go easy on the Rod-Bond, you just want enough to adhere contact to the blank.
ooops! I forgot one important step. The laces may have a tanning oil on them, you can soak a rag in alcohol and then run the laces through the rag washing them clean or actually soaking them in alcohol and wiping them clean in a dry rag.
You can accent the handle with a burl or cork end cap.
This may not be what you want but, it is another form of handle material that is not normally used and is truly custom.

Dennis J. Danku
(Sayreville,NJ)

Posted by: Lam Nguyen (162.119.11.---)
Date: December 17, 2016 05:40PM

Thanks guys! I will def consider the Winn Grip wrap-on tape and raw hide boot lace as options for my handles.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster