I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Rainshadow Qustion
Posted by: Jon Salter (165.160.2.---)
Date: December 15, 2016 12:36AM

I will get right to the point....

Is the Revolution blank as good or better than the St. Croix SCIII (Avid).
I am having a rough time deciding which to get.

Thanks in advance!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Rainshadow Qustion
Posted by: Capt. Michael Harmon (---.mycingular.net)
Date: December 15, 2016 05:54AM

They both catch fish. You will find many people like one or the other and some like both. Which one meets your line, lure, weight, length, etc requirements? Go with that one.

Posted by: Jon Salter (---.sub-174-200-20.myvzw.com)
Date: December 15, 2016 06:07AM

I understand that...but I will not be on the water for several months, I am just trying to understand how to compare all the blanks so I can make the right decisions.

Date: December 15, 2016 07:25AM

Which blanks are you considering?

Date: December 15, 2016 07:48AM

St.Croix SCIII... $110
Rainshadow Revelation... $67
Rodgeeks Carbon 4... $115

I want SCIII quality or better but I'm uncertain if the low price Revelation compares.

Date: December 15, 2016 08:00AM

OK. Which stock #'s? What application?

Date: December 15, 2016 08:16AM

For Jigs and Creatures.

St.Croix SCIII......
3C66MHF 6'6" 12-20 lb. MHF 3/8 - 1 oz. .525" 6.5 2.3oz

Rainshadow Revelation...
REVC68MH 6'8" 12-20lb MHF 3/8-1oz. .495" 5.5 2.4oz.

Rodgeeks Carbon 4...
C469MHF 6' 9" 10-20lb MHF 3/8 - 1oz .487" 6 0 2.35 oz.

Date: December 15, 2016 09:03AM

Ok. Well since I rarely fish Sweetwater, and when I do I use a fly rod, I don't have enough knowledge of the lures and techniques used to give you an accurate answer. I will say however that the revelation blanks are high quality with a great price point. Another option to throw in the mix are the am tackle bushido blanks. I use them a lot and have nothing but good things to say about them. Wish I could be more helpful. Good luck with your search. MH

Posted by: Norman Miller (---.lightspeed.jcsnms.sbcglobal.net)
Date: December 15, 2016 10:22AM

They are all very good blanks that have the same specs and weight, I would seriously consider the the Revelation for the money. I have not built on this specific model but have used the older RX7 blanks, which were replaced by the Revelation series. They were nice blanks that built into a very good rods. Inexpensive does not necessarily mean low quality, in this case it may mean a good buy.
Norm

Posted by: Norman Miller (---.lightspeed.jcsnms.sbcglobal.net)
Date: December 15, 2016 10:37AM

Should mention that the RodGeeks blanks are made in collaboration with St Croix, and are of high quality. If you are into colors, you can get them in any color you want for a little additional money.
Norm

Posted by: Michael Danek (50.36.229.---)
Date: December 15, 2016 10:51AM

As Norman says, + I think that the 4 series Rodgeeks are equivalent to St Croix SCIV, which would presumably make them a little better than the SCIII. I agree that all the blanks mentioned are very high quality blanks; I've used them all. I think you have to determine where your priorities are relative to color, gloss vs matte, cost, and match to what you are trying to get functionally (power/action/length). The Rodgeeks and St Croixs that I have tested on my CCS are a little more powerful than others that have the same descriptions for power.

One of my favorite rods is a Revelation, but not your description. Another is a St Croix SCV , and the equivalent Rodgeeks Carbon 4 spin blank is a little more powerful than the St Croix SCV, weights the same. Another of my favorites is a Bushido, although in a crankbait model. I have made St Croix SCIII's for my grandkids, and they too are very nice rods.

I go back to "determine where your priorities are." Any of the blanks you are considering will build into a world class rod, IMHO. Obviously the Rodgeeks could be the flashiest, but also the most expensive.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: December 15, 2016 11:54AM

Jon,
One characteristic of a blank that I use to determine quality is the weight of the blank.

If you have two blanks with identical action, and power - the blank that physically weighs less will generally be of a better quality, because that blank will typically be made with components that allow for a thinner wall thickness.

Good luck

Posted by: Lynn Behler (---.97.252.156.res-cmts.leh.ptd.net)
Date: December 15, 2016 05:45PM

I don't build a lot, but I've built 6 bass rods on RX-7 blanks recently. I can't see how you'd be anything but happy with one. I am also quite tempted with Bushido.

Posted by: Nick Lam (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: December 15, 2016 11:08PM

The Immortal series has more backbone which I like more for jigs. They currently had a price drop too I think.

Posted by: Nick Lam (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: December 15, 2016 11:08PM

The Immortal series has more backbone which I like more for jigs. They currently had a price drop too I think.

Posted by: Michal Rozycki (193.201.167.---)
Date: December 16, 2016 03:13AM

They are all very good blanks. The main difference is country of manufacture:
St.Croix SCIII - made in the US
Rainshadow Revelation - made in China
Rodgeeks Carbon 4 - made in Mexico

The above notwithstanding, I must admit I very much miss the US made Rainshadow blanks. That being said - their PRC made blanks really rock!

Posted by: Frank Summers (---.static.rvsd.ca.charter.com)
Date: December 16, 2016 07:58AM

Revelations are very good blanks. You can use the money you save and upgrade the components. You will be happy.

Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---.res.bhn.net)
Date: December 17, 2016 03:56PM

I suspect St. Croix makes spin rods, casting rods, flipping rods, pitching rods, jigging rods, trolling rods, fly rods, surf rods, carp rods, panfish rods, muskie rods, and maybe ice-fishing rods with SCIII graphite, which makes your question a real poser. On the other hand, I have been very happy with the quality, price, and performance of St. Croix 6wt. - 10wt. fly rod blanks, and the service St. Croix has provided me has been exceptional.

Posted by: Thomas Kaufmann (107.77.87.---)
Date: December 20, 2016 12:34PM

Surprised that it hasn't been mentioned but hydra has some blanks that will do just as you need

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster