I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Best insight about Rod Building I've Received Was (Indirectly) From Tom Kirkman
Posted by: Gib Portwood (---.mycingular.net)
Date: December 14, 2016 01:09PM

Hello everyone,

In earlier posts, I mentioned how I'm trying to learn about the rod building craft to help my 14 year old son, who has taken an interest in building custom rods. This has led me to asking some questions here, and I have received many helpful and beneficial responses from the nice people on the forum. I also have looked for helpful information from other sites on the internet as well.

Recently, I came across an interview Tom Kirkman did nearly 8 years ago, about being the publisher of a small, independent magazine. In it, I learned what I believe to be the best tip about custom rod building ever.

"In all the years I've been publishing RodMaker, I can't think of single instance where we found or were put onto something new in rod building via the internet. We've always been a year ahead of the internet. In fact, most of the newest and latest stuff that rod builders are so excited about were born in the pages of RodMaker and then trickled down to the internet from there. Our subscribers get the jump on the non-subscribers in this regard. And even when the material does work its way onto the internet, it often lacks the detail and quality that it had in the original magazine form. On my companion internet forum, www.rodbuilding.org, it's not hard to instantly recognize those who subscribe and those who don't - the ones asking the questions are usually non-subscribers and the ones providing good answers are folks who subscribe to the magazine. " -- Tom Kirkman

So... I've subscribed! I hope, that when the time is right, my son will continue the subscription on his own because of a continued passion for the subject and industry. Also, perhaps the volume and frequency of my questions here might decrease.

I think another message should be pinned at the top of this forum titled, "If you are a new rod maker, looking for advice on where to start or helpful tips, READ THIS FIRST!" And then paste that article, in its entirety, as the message. Not only should it help the subscriber numbers of the magazine and potentially add more "rod builders" to the industry which could, long-term, add to the number of new ideas/improvements to the field, but it should also help other "beginners" like me get to the information they seek quickly while reducing potentially "needless" posts on the board. :)

Thanks to everyone who has provided sincere thought and insight to my earlier posts. Perhaps my son and I will be able to provide good information / answers to the forum soon.

Best,
Gib

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Best insight about Rod Building I've Received Was (Indirectly) From Tom Kirkman
Posted by: Norman Miller (---.lightspeed.jcsnms.sbcglobal.net)
Date: December 14, 2016 05:53PM

Good post! This forum is good as it gets, and is one of the few places where everyone is civil and helpful without inappropriate language. Take a look at the table of contents from the past issues of the magazine there are a lot of very good articles, and these back issues can be purchased individually. I have only been a member of the forum for about two years and have learned a lot in such a short time, I have also bought a number of the past issues and found them to be quite useful.
Norm

Re: Best insight about Rod Building I've Received Was (Indirectly) From Tom Kirkman
Posted by: Mark Talmo (---.dsl.lsan03.sbcglobal.net)
Date: December 14, 2016 10:44PM

Gib,
Nicely stated! While there are others within this site who are also very knowledgeable and willing to share (such as the previous poster), we all need to tip our hats to Tom Kirkman. Yes, he is obviously knowledgeable and willing to share, but additionally lives and breathes rod building beyond this website or the magazine which is why both are the best anyone could ever expect.

Mark Talmo
FISHING IS NOT AN ESCAPE FROM LIFE BUT RATHER A DEEPER IMMERSION INTO IT!!! BUILDING YOUR OWN SIMPLY ENHANCES THE EXPERIENCE.

Posted by: Nick Lam (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: December 15, 2016 11:10PM

Second that. Thanks Tom! This forum boasts a great knowledge base with very gracious and courteous contributors.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster