I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Cut an Immortal Blank
Posted by: Jon Salter (165.160.2.---)
Date: December 13, 2016 02:42PM

Hello....I am looking to build a 6'8" MH-F rod but that length is not offered in the immortal series, can I cut down a 7'2" MH-F to produce that rod?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Cut an Immortal Blank
Posted by: Lance Schreckenbach (---.hfc.comcastbusiness.net)
Date: December 13, 2016 03:46PM

I usually limit my cuts to 4" or less. Any more than that you will change the action of the blank drastically unless that’s what you want to do, slow it down.

Posted by: David Baylor (---.neo.res.rr.com)
Date: December 14, 2016 09:25AM

I asolutely love that blank, but I'd ask what you're going to be using it for? It's a powerful blank, and pretty stiff in the lower half, but taking 6" off is IMO, going to really take a pretty good amount of power out of it.

If you're building it to use to fish for bass and throwing spinnerbaits with it and maybe chatterbaits (if you like throwing chatterbaits on a fast action rod) , I think you'd be more than ok. But if you're building it for fishing Texas rigged soft plastics, and jigs? I don't know .... (and I have never handled this blank) I think I'd look at the 73HXF if I needed to trim that much off the butt.

If you're not married to the Immortal series (and I understand you wanting one, awesome blanks!!!) you may want to give the Revelation line of blanks from Rainshadow. They list a 6'8" MH with the same specs as the 72MH in the Immortal line. I've read good things about the Revelation. I actually plan on building a frog rod on a Revelation blank, sometime this year.

Posted by: Jon Salter (---.sub-174-200-20.myvzw.com)
Date: December 14, 2016 09:55AM

Using it for jigs and creatures....yeah thinking of not cutting the Immortal.....I'm annoyed though, ready to spend the money but don't have what I need.
Oh and the 7'2" MHF has a larger button than the 7'3" HXF

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/14/2016 10:07AM by Jon Salter.

Posted by: Norman Miller (---.lightspeed.jcsnms.sbcglobal.net)
Date: December 14, 2016 10:30AM

Look at the Rodgeeks C2 or C4 bass blanks.

[rodgeeks.com]

Norm

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: December 14, 2016 10:38AM

Jon,
I have used the same blank and trimmed that blank to the length you mention. I did all of the trimming from the butt of the rod and the finished rod is loved by the client.

Good luck

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (172.56.39.---)
Date: December 14, 2016 10:43AM

Knowing the butt diameter, without also knowing the blank's wall thickness doesn't say much about a blank. Wall thickness is all over the place depending on materials and application.

Posted by: Norman Miller (---.lightspeed.jcsnms.sbcglobal.net)
Date: December 14, 2016 11:13AM

When you cut a blank you change both its power and action. Cutting from the butt makes the rod less powerful, and cutting from the tip makes it more powerful. Cutting from either the butt or the tip will slow the action. This is fine as long as you know what you will be getting. You can take it off but you can't put it back. I have cut blanks and have been happy with the results, but I have also cut some and have been very unhappy with the results. If in doubt buy a rod that fits what you want. There are a lot of very good blanks around that will fit your needs.
Norm

Date: December 14, 2016 11:44AM

Yeah this is driving me nuts not knowing if it will work out....I hesitate to cut so much so I may just get the Revelation.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: December 14, 2016 06:00PM

Cutting from the tip makes the casting lure weight range increase (more tip power) but the overall blank power or the amount it can deadlift before it would break, will be the same.

Posted by: Thomas Kaufmann (---.direcway.com)
Date: December 14, 2016 10:19PM

Jon,
I don't have a new version of the Immortal but I do have the former version in the RX8 XMB844 (and a few others) and it is a much nicer blank than the Revelation ( I do have a current version of this blank 72MH). Please don't get me wrong as I am not saying the Revelation is a bad blank, it is just not nearly as nice as the Immortals. You will find the Immortal much lighter, faster and much more sensitive over the Revelation. Is the 6'8 essential? If not try the Immortal at full length.I think that you will be quite happy with it. You might call Utmost or Get Bit to see if they have one of the cobalt blue Eternities left over (these were 6'8"). You might even be able to contact Batson to see if they know any vendors that have them. You could also take a look at North Fork, they have a 6'9" MB693 in their IM series that would work quite well. You could also ask Get Bit about their over buys of the Castaways in 6'8". I have some of those and it may very well work for what you are wanting to.

Of what I have listed, my gut would be to go with the North Fork. I have some of the IM and they make a heck of a rod and it would be my first recommendation, followed by the blue Eternity and lastly the Castaway.

Good Luck,
Tom

Date: December 14, 2016 11:37PM

Thanks for the reply Tom......the 6'8"/6'9" is the length I want to stay with.
So my goal is to replace my St. Croix mojo's which treated me well for the years I've had them....I started with the intent on using the SCIII blanks which are right around $100.
I don't want to go too much higher for a blank, while the North Fork, Eternities are nice, I'm not looking to spend that much.

Really frustrating I can't find what I want in the price range from Rainshadow
Oh and I was told the Rainshadow is comparable to the St. Croix SCIII

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/14/2016 11:39PM by Jon Salter.

Date: December 15, 2016 08:31AM

I can understand wanting to stay with a length of rod that you're familiar with. I was like that myself. I used to think that a 6'6" rod was the deal and that a 7' or longer rod was pretty much just a waste on anything but a rod that was used to cast baits, a long distance. It wasn't until I tried a 7' rod for fishing Texas rigs and jigs, that I found out what I was missing.

I guess what I'm saying is ... unless you're only going to be using the rod in extremely close quarters to obstructions that would make using a longer rod unusable, or you are limited in how long of a rod you can safely transport ... you won't find any problem using a 7' or in the case of the 72MH Immortal, a rod longer than 7'. You may find you need a little adjustment period to get used to the longer rod, but the longer rod is going to make presentations like flipping, and pitching, soooooo much easier.

As I said in my earlier post, I have yet to build on a Revelation blank, but I do know the 72MH Immortal blank is phenomenal. It's light, powerful, very sensitive, and as long as you don't have a muskie go nuts on you right at the boat, durable. Not knowing a thing about the Revelation, I can only compare the Immortal to factory rods I still have. I have an old (pre Shimano buyout) G Loomis GL2 and Shimano Crucial. The Crucial and GL2 are pretty close to each other. The Immortal is worlds better than both of them.

My personal feelings would be .... if a 7'2" rod isn't going to cause you transportation problems, I'd build the 72MH at its full length.

Date: December 15, 2016 08:44AM

I have several 7' rods I use for plastics as well....mostly when I "cast" them.
I use my current 6'6" most of the day for underhand pitching.

These were my option to get me what I want....
St.Croix SCIII... $110
Rainshadow Revelation... $67
Rodgeeks Carbon 4... $115

Date: December 15, 2016 09:28AM

You will be surprised at how much easier pitching is with a longer rod. Less effort at all distances. More accuracy and quieter presentations. It's win, win!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster