I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

AIR BUBBLES
Posted by: Jon Hood (---.hsd1.fl.comcast.net)
Date: December 10, 2016 01:05PM

Wow! Never had this happen and would like some input from everyone.
I have done in the neighborhood on 15 tiger wraps and never had this problem - but really it doesn't have anything to do with a tiger wrap - just thread!
I wrapped the bottom layer ( 3 different colors ) of NCP for a butt wrap tiger, then I burnished the threads as usual to achieve the "wavyness" , applied a light coat of CP to hold everything in place, dried overnight, then applied the 1st coat of epoxy.
mixed epoxy in a mixer, poured it out to flatten, quick flash o remove bubble, applied the finish - at this point I noticed more bubbles appearing than normal, but I didn't think to much more about it,
just a quick flash of heat and they were all gone. I had to leave 5 minutes or so later. When I returned 2 hours later I had 8 pretty big bubbles in my finish!! WHAT THE !#$*:%/+%!!!!!!
1. what do you guys think happened?
2. What's the best repair or should I strip the thread and start over?

Jon Hood

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: AIR BUBBLES
Posted by: Jerry Poindexter (---.tx.res.rr.com)
Date: December 10, 2016 04:38PM

I would have used at least 2 coats of CP on the under layer

Posted by: Lance Schreckenbach (---.lightspeed.rsbgtx.sbcglobal.net)
Date: December 10, 2016 06:55PM

Had the same thing happen on a Tiger next to the winding check but I believe it was air trapped under the check. I fixed it but it was very discouraging.

Posted by: Greg Foy (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: December 10, 2016 07:35PM

Use a razor to cut the top off the bubbles and try another coat of finish.

Greg
Aptos, CA

Posted by: Jon Hood (---.hsd1.fl.comcast.net)
Date: December 11, 2016 09:11AM

Thanks everyone for your responses. I actually had gotten home in time to flash the air bubbles out but the crater stayed there. I cut it them all out after the epoxy hardened, and applied another thin coat of epoxy - looks great- like there was never an issue(even with a magnifying glass). Lucky me - THIS TIME!
After, thinking back at my process - I believe :
1. I left the rod too early - if I had been there another 30 min or so checking the finish - I could have removed the bubbles as they appeared.
2. I also usually apply a pretty thin 1st coat of finish (real close to the threads for 2 reasons (to reduce air bubbles and to keep the finish from getting too wavy) - I think I applied the finish too thick(for what I am use too anyway!)
I just wanted to do a follow up post to thank you all for the responses and give the outcome. while I am sure the repair I did will not always come the way this one did - it was worth a shot, and this time it worked beautifully!!!
And finally, what I take away from this is like everything I learned from day one (mostly from the builders on this website) :
1. Get a routine that works for you and REPEAT IT EVERY TIME!
2. Never rush ANYTHING while building - If you don't have the needed amount of time to complete the step you are working on - then WAIT UNTIL YOU DO HAVE THE REQUIRED AMOUNT OF TIME NEEDED!!

Jon Hood

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: December 11, 2016 07:27PM

Rule of the day:

Don't leave the rod for examination every few minutes for the first 30-40 minutes or so.

That way, if you do see a bubble develop, you can hit it with a bit of heat and get rid of the bubble/s.

Be safe

Posted by: John Shear (199.116.173.---)
Date: December 22, 2016 11:34AM

Heat can actually cause more micro-bubbles that take a while to show up. Two coats of CP would have helped.
I tried all the finishes in my cool basement shop and found Threadmaster to be the best behaved in my environment. I NEVER have a need to apply heat (other than warming the bottles beforehand) - simply blowing on the finish with a straw makes them all disappear.

John Shear
Chippewa Falls, WI

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster