I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

rod wrapper plans
Posted by: Johnnie Lewis (---.IP.cloudmosa.com)
Date: December 09, 2016 04:47PM

Hello
I am new here and I was wondering where I could find some plans for a manual rod wrapper ?
Thank You

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: rod wrapper plans
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: December 09, 2016 04:53PM

Take a look on the photo page here and use the search in the tools and misc. category to find a variety of home built wrappers. That should at least get you some ideas.

Posted by: Barry Thomas Sr (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: December 09, 2016 08:24PM

Look at the Commercial Manual Pieces and Mod Your Own

Posted by: Johnnie Lewis (---.IP.cloudmosa.com)
Date: December 09, 2016 11:36PM

The tensioner system is my biggest concern I have seen a few different types and I am unsure what is best.7r

Posted by: Mark Talmo (---.dsl.lsan03.sbcglobal.net)
Date: December 10, 2016 03:19AM

Avoid tensioners which squeeze the thread in favor of squeezing the spool. You do not want to entice more thread fuzzies than will already be encountered.

Mark Talmo
FISHING IS NOT AN ESCAPE FROM LIFE BUT RATHER A DEEPER IMMERSION INTO IT!!! BUILDING YOUR OWN SIMPLY ENHANCES THE EXPERIENCE.

Posted by: Andrew Goble (---.tukw.qwest.net)
Date: December 10, 2016 07:20AM

Mousetrap tensioner is cheap and works well for me!

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: December 10, 2016 08:15AM

Just remember that when you "squeeze" the spool instead of the thread, tension will automatically increase as the amount of thread on the spool diminishes.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: December 10, 2016 10:20AM

The N eptune thread tensioner from All American Guides to the left produces no fuzzies and stays the same tension. Works only on hand wrappers though. Tension is adjusted by placing small pieces of paper between two magnets. Mine is 10 years old I guess and still works great.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/10/2016 12:29PM by Tom Kirkman.

Posted by: Johnnie Lewis (---.client.mchsi.com)
Date: December 10, 2016 10:59AM

Thanks for all of your suggestions. I hope to start building this before too long but I welcome any tips or trick that may be useful.

Posted by: Barry Chapman (---.41.70.115.static.exetel.com.au)
Date: December 10, 2016 04:10PM

I use magnets that are in the "repel " position that push the spool against a stop, with one is pushed against the arm that holds the spools .It's easily adjustable & there is no friction to overcome the resistance to turn. I did try the magnets that Spencer uses & found them difficult to use so I didn't persevere with them .As the thread doesn't come in contact with anything other than the guides that direct the thread path & as Spencer said "they work for me".

Regards Baz

Bundeena
NSW Australia

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: December 11, 2016 07:33PM

I have used the same - squeeze the thread between two spring loaded disks every since I have started building rods.

I do NOT use the tension disks for any metallic thread. i only use metallic thread for short trim wraps so no big deal.

Millions and millions of sewing machines around the world use the squeeze the thread between two spring loaded disks and have essentially 0 issues with either the tension device or the thread.

[www.rodbuilding.org]

Picture of the thread tensioner. The spring loaded disks are mounted at the end of a 10-12 inch piece of wood. The other end of the wood is clamped between two right angle brackets.
The tensioner is mounted on a piece of nylon cutting board for easy movement on my rod bench. The tension device simply rests against the back of the wrapper base and is moved along as a guide is wound.

Simple, reliable and fool proof.

Be safe

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster